http://www.petitiononline.com/JFKACT/petition.html

Adele

------------------------------------------------------------------

JFK ACT Oversight Hearings

View Current Signatures - Sign the Petition

To: U.S. Congress

Congressional Oversight of JFK Act

To: Rep. Edolphis Towns, Chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee

and Rep. William Lacy Clay, Chairman of the Sub-committee on information policy, census and NARA and members of the relevant committee.

In order to regain the public’s confidence in government, which has been in decline since November 1963, Congress passed the JFK Act of 1992, requiring the release of all government records related to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Since the last time Congress conducted a hearing on the JFK Act (June 4, 1997), neither the House Oversight Committee, nor the responsible subcommittee have held one hearing on this issue, despite the destruction of Secret Service documents, the loss of national security records and the continued withholding of records that have been ordered released to the public.

It is imperative that Congress take some action to ensure that the law is enforced and the work mandated by the JFK Assassination Records Act is completed. Therefore,

We, the undersigned citizens of the United States and the free world, do hereby request the House Oversight Committee do its duty and hold public oversight hearings on the JFK Act.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Edited by Adele Edisen

To read and sign petition, go to:

Adele

and Rep. William Lacy Clay, Chairman of the Sub-committee on information policy, census and NARA and members of the relevant committee.

In order to regain the public’s confidence in government, which has been in decline since November 1963, Congress passed the JFK Act of 1992, requiring the release of all government records related to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Since the last time Congress conducted a hearing on the JFK Act (June 4, 1997), neither the House Oversight Committee, nor the responsible subcommittee have held one hearing on this issue, despite the destruction of Secret Service documents, the loss of national security records and the continued withholding of records that have been ordered released to the public.

It is imperative that Congress take some action to ensure that the law is enforced and the work mandated by the JFK Assassination Records Act is completed. Therefore,

We, the undersigned citizens of the United States and the free world, do hereby request the House Oversight Committee do its duty and hold public oversight hearings on the JFK Act.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Thanks Adele,

Be sure to pass it on to our friends over at JFKResearch and DPF.

When I tried to create the petition a few weeks ago, petition-on-line was

down, being attacked by the government of Iran.

I also had to eleminate the comments section because it encouraged juvenile

delinquency and defacers.

I hope people keep it serious and some good people sign on.

The plan is to collect a few hundred signatures, and meet with Towns and Clay

privately in DC, and then meet with them back in their districts - St. Louie and

NYC, and then again in DC after Labor Day. And if we don't convince them to

hold hearings by then, we will publish the petition in the Congressional Roll Call

and in their hometown newspapers and embarrass them into holding hearings. But

I don't think it will come to that.

More deep background:

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/

From a year ago; still valid:

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2008/08...t-hearings.html

Here's the letter the petition will be attached to:

Rep. Edolphis Towns (D. NY 10th)

Chairman Committee on Oversight and Government Reform

2157 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515 (202) 225-5051

cc: Rep. William Lacy Clay (D. Missouri)

Chairman Subcommittee on Information Policy, NARA

Rep. Edolphis Towns,

As the Chairman of the House Oversight Committee you are responsible for oversight of many laws on a variety of issues, but none of them are more significant than the oversight of the JFK Act of 1992. This landmark legislation ordered the release to the public of all government records related to the assassination of President Kennedy.

This law came about because of the decline in the public’s confidence in the government since November, 1963, and the citizen’s response to Oliver Stone’s film “JFK,” which called attention to the fact that many government assassination records were classified secret and withheld from public release.

Since the law was passed, there has only been one public hearing, over a decade ago, and none have been held since the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) was disbanded, leaving your committee as the only government body responsible for oversight of the Act and enforcement of the law.

After the law was passed, the Secret Service destroyed records that were requested, important national security records have been lost (ie. Air Force 1 radio transmission tapes), records previously released have been withdrawn and the Department of Defense and CIA have continued to withhold records that clearly qualify under the Act but have yet to be released.

The President of the United States has issued new Executive Action Memos ordering agencies and departments to adopt new FOIA policies that reflect an open and transparent government, and formed Task Forces on these issues that will issue their reports and findings in late August and early September.

This is the perfect time for Rep. William Lacy Clay (D. Missouri), the chairman of the subcommittee on Information Policy and NARA to schedule an oversight hearing on the JFK Act, and obtain answers to the many outstanding questions related to the disposition of government records related to the assassination.

While the Oversight Committee has broad powers and responsibilities, there is no greater responsibility than the safety of the president and the public’s right to know about its government, especially in regards to the assassination. America will not regain its confidence in government until these records are released and the outstanding questions about the assassination are answered.

Edited by William Kelly

Bill,

I took the liberty of copying your petition and posting a link here:

http://reopenkennedycase.weebly.com/rkc-news.html

Hey Greg,

Thanks,

And it seems like a network of people are signing on, with a number of well known researchers and writers, thanks to Adele, who got the petition out to many.

I wanted to get over 200 signatures by the end of July but it looks like we will reach that point much earlier, and I'll be able to hand it in earlier.

I also worded it as signed by "citizens of the US and the 'free world'" just so you could sign it.

While I want most to be American citizens, it will be good to see how much widespread support the petition has, and the interest such hearings will have throughout the USA and the world.

It seems like when the foreign interest in Iran declined (with Michael Jackson's assassination), the Iranians got harsher on dissent, but while the world was watching they backed off.

Maybe it will take foreign interest to push this over the top?

I also like what Jeff Morley did by adding his job and location - and encourage others to do the same - in order to show the variety of jobs we have and our locations are all over the USA and globe.

Thanks to everyone who has signed on so far, as it shows how, despite all our differences, we all want the JFK Act to work.

Bill Kelly

Adele

Many thanks to everyone who signed on to this petition.

We are still looking to double the number of signatures to about 300.

So far we have a very small percentage of bogus signatures (about 1-2%),

but most significantly we have a lot of recognizable names of writers who

have books out who have used records from the JFK Act.

I really think this petition request has a good chance of being successful, and

I will personally present it to Rep. Towns and make the case for hearings.

We are also going to make copies of the petition and present them to each

member of the Committee, and hope to get people to write to Towns and

each member of the Committee personally to request hearings and to touch

on some of the important issues involved.

If they balk at scheduling a hearing in September, when we would like them to

have the hearings when they return from Labor Day holiday vacation, we

are prepared to publish the petition in the Congressional Roll Call and/or

Politico - both read by 98% of Congressmen and their staffs.

Will keep everyone who signs the petition posted on the progress of this project.

If everyone who has signed it, will email a friend who is interested in the JFK assassination, or is a lawyer, doctor, professor or has written a book and has used the JFK Act records,

that would help move this along further.

Thanks,

Bill Kelly

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Adele

Many thanks to everyone who signed on to this petition.

We are still looking to double the number of signatures to about 300.

So far we have a very small percentage of bogus signatures (about 1-2%),

but most significantly we have a lot of recognizable names of writers who

have books out who have used records from the JFK Act.

I really think this petition request has a good chance of being successful, and

I will personally present it to Rep. Towns and make the case for hearings.

We are also going to make copies of the petition and present them to each

member of the Committee, and hope to get people to write to Towns and

each member of the Committee personally to request hearings and to touch

on some of the important issues involved.

If they balk at scheduling a hearing in September, when we would like them to

have the hearings when they return from Labor Day holiday vacation, we

are prepared to publish the petition in the Congressional Roll Call and/or

Politico - both read by 98% of Congressmen and their staffs.

Will keep everyone who signs the petition posted on the progress of this project.

If everyone who has signed it, will email a friend who is interested in the JFK assassination, or is a lawyer, doctor, professor or has written a book and has used the JFK Act records,

that would help move this along further.

Thanks,

Bill Kelly

In order to regain the public's confidence in government, which has been in decline since November 1963, Congress passed the JFK Act of 1992, requiring the release of all government records related to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

I suggest you add [even at this late date] fields for state, congressional district, address [optional ONLY!!!!], county of nationality, and country of residence...it might be helpful in both enlightening the Congress and in giving them some incentive to move.

Peter,

We are doing all of the above, and more.

BK

• 3 weeks later...
Signed with pleasure.

I'll add the link to my forum JFK Assassination Forum and ask the member's to sign the petition.

Duncan MacRae

As of today, July 24. there are 194 signatures on Bill's petition. The list has some impressive names on it.

Today I sent 17 packets of letters and other documents to Chairman Towns and Chairman Clay, with copies to each member of the House Subcommittee on Information Policy, Census, NARA. The first ten names on my copy list, plus Chairman Clay, make up the Subcommittee members.

Kucinich and Cuellar are on the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Rodriguez is my representative and he has known of my story since February of this year.

If anyone is interested in writing to the committee members, thier addresses are the same as those of Rep. Towns and Rep. Clay.

Adele

Copy of my letter to Towns and Clay follows:

July 21, 2009

The Honorable Representative Edolphus Towns

Chairman, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform

Washington, D.C. 20515

And

The Honorable Representative William Lacy Clay

Chairman, House Subcommittee On Information Policy, Census, and National Archives

Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Representative Towns and Representative Clay:

In 1963 I was a Postdoctoral Fellow of the National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Blindness (NINDB), performing neurophysiological research at the Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans, Louisiana. I met Jose A. Rivera, a science administrator and member of the Training Grants and Awards Section of the NINDB, at week-long scientific meetings in April, 1963, in Atlantic City, New Jersey, where I presented my work on the mechanisms of synaptic actions in the nervous system.

Rivera invited me to have dinner with him and his family once I arrived at the NIH which I had planned to visit, but it turned out that he and I had dinner at restaurants and a sightseeing trip while he spoke of the President and his impending assassination. I am enclosing a narrative account of my experiences and attempts to bring these to the attention of government agencies and Congressional investigating committees with the help of Attorney Jack Peebles. I also have sought, through many Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, copies of documents of my interview with US Secret Service Agent John W. Rice and FBI Liaison Special Agent Orrin Bartlett, on Sunday, November 24, 1963, with no success.

I also enclose copies of relevant pages from the Final Report of the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) where my name is mentioned; a summary of Rivera’s career based on his personnel file records written by Attorney Dave Robertson; and Xerox copies of photographs of Jose A. Rivera.

- 2 -

When I learned last year that Jose A. Rivera had been present at the autopsy of the President’s body at the Bethesda Naval Hospital on the evening of November 22, 1963,

I posted my narrative on the internet. At my age I do not have much more time to wait to see that the American people would know that there was a conspiracy to kill the President, and that it had been planned long in advance, even before April of 1963.

It has been 46 years and 3 months since I learned of the impending assassination of President John F. Kennedy, and in November it will be 46 years since his death. It seems to be an unusually extraordinary length of time to solve a murder case, and an extraordinary length of time for the American people to begin to learn how and why their President was killed.

I am writing to you directly to urge you and your Committee and its Subcommittee to have open public hearings on oversight of the John F. Kennedy Assassination Collections Act of 1992 which required that every government agency produce their files of documents, films, recordings, etc., to be reviewed by the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) and then be placed into the JFK Collection at the National Archives II at College Park, Maryland.

I only ask that this Congress and this Government provide the American people with honest answers to questions about the murder of our President John F. Kennedy.

Please feel free to share this with other members of your committee. Thank you for your time and kind consideration in this matter.

Yours truly,

Adele E. U. Edisen, Ph.D.

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 690111, San Antonio, TX 78269-0111

Residence Address:

Telephone:

E-Mail Address: aedisen@prodigy.net

cc: Representative Paul E. Kanjorski

Representative Carolyn B. Maloney

Representative Diane E. Watson

Representative Eleanor Holmes Norton

- 3 -

cc: Representative Danny Davis

Representative Steve Dreihaus

Representative John L. Mica

Representative Lynn A. Westmoreland

Representative Patrick T. McHenry

Representative Jason Chaffetz

Representative Dennis J. Kucinich

Representative Henry Cuellar

Representative Ciro D. Rodriguez

Attorney Jack Peebles

Attorney Dave Robertson

The New York Times

The Washington Post

CBS-TV Sixty Minutes Program

Thanks to everyone who has signed on so far, as it shows how, despite all our differences, we all want the JFK Act to work.

Bill Kelly

Congratulations Bill, I see that you have nabbed a big fish. In reviewing the signatories I see that number 186 is Clint Eastwood.

Not that I doubt this is the real Clint, but wouldn't the congressmen be more inclined to believe it if Oliver Stone's name was up there also. After all, Stone is responsible for passage of the JFK Act.

I was recently in Hill Valley, California, where I met the grandson of Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen. He told me he does not believe the signature on your petition is the REAL Clint Eastwood.

Bill Kelly

Congratulations Bill, I see that you have nabbed a big fish. In reviewing the signatories I see that number 186 is Clint Eastwood.

Not that I doubt this is the real Clint, but wouldn't the congressmen be more inclined to believe it if Oliver Stone's name was up there also. After all, Stone is responsible for passage of the JFK Act.

I was recently in Hill Valley, California, where I met the grandson of Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen. He told me he does not believe the signature on your petition is the REAL Clint Eastwood.

Hi JRC,

And Adele expressed the same fear, but I will check out every signature before I hand it to Rep. Towns, and there are a few other first names only that will be eleminated.

Based on the experience that a dozen or so signatures on the JFK Federal Grand Jury petition were most certainly fabricated - I anticipated this happening, and pinpointed individuals who were known to assume aliases, and conduct themselves like teenage vandals. I don't believe that the person is someone who has attacked me personally on this forum in the past, but it is possibly someone who has a beef against COPA.

So I too doubted the authenticy of Clint Eastwood signing on, but in fact I am friends with his next door neighbor in Carmel, California, where Mr. Eastwood was at one time mayor and councilman, so he is a political animal. And he may have gotten the link through my network of friends that includes his next door neighbor.

On second thought, who in their right mind would intentionally impersonate one of the most intimidating people in the world? If it is a fake, and I identify the culpret, I won't just embarrass them, but they can expect me, Mr. Eastwood or both of us to one day show up at their front door.

When I do contact him to confirm signature, I will ask him if he did sign on, and if he didn't I will ask him to do so.

My target number of signatures was 200 and with the possible bogus signatures, I am shooting for 250, with 200 being able to confirm as for real. None that cannot be independantly confirmed will be included.

I have asked for celebrities, doctors, lawyers, recognizable names and most importantly, ordinary constituents of those members on the committee, to sign on and write their own letters to the Committee chair. Sometimes it doesn't take a celebrity, but just an ordinary citizen who votes in the politician's district who can make a difference by calling attention to an important issue.

As for Oliver Stone, he most certainly is responsible for the JFK Act, and he testified before the very first hearing before the subcommittee that considered the Act, and would be recalled to testify again if such hearings are held.

There are other celebrities that I would hope will sign on, and the petition will remain open until such a hearing is actually held.

If you know Ollie's contact numbers, most certainly pass on the link to the petition, and perhaps he could write a letter to Towns on his own, which would also carry much weight.

And JRC, thanks for being one of the first to sign on and take this effort seriously.

I think we have an excellent opportunity for these hearings to happen when Congress resumes sessions in September after their holiday break.

Bill Kelly

When I do contact him [Clint Eastwood] to confirm signature, I will ask him if he did sign on, and if he didn't I will ask him to do so.

Clint will sign in a heartbeat, if he he has not already done so. I remember he spoke out in favor of the JFK Act when the Bill was before Congress.

If you know Ollie's contact numbers, most certainly pass on the link to the petition, and perhaps he could write a letter to Towns on his own, which would also carry much weight.

As it happens, my daughter is starting out on a career in TV and movie production (her first job, while still in College, was Assistant Locations manager on FROZEN RIVER, - budget $600,000 -- which won the Grand Prize at Sundance, and was nominated for two Academy Awards) and she can get me that kind of information. I will try to contact Ollie in the early part of next week. I expect it will take some time to reach him, as he is currently up to his neck preparing for shooting in NYC on his new movie about Wall Street. He just suffered the loss of Javier Bordun

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/b...t-2-419888.html

But he still has Shia LaBeouf, who is considered the hottest young actor around, and of course he has Michael Douglas, who will play the same character he played in the first Wall Street.

But he still has time for JFK, and you can be sure he will sign your petition as soon as he hears about it.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/276463

I have issues with certain elements of the movie JFK, but Oliver Stone remains not only our greatest moviemaker, but also one of the few voices of rationality in a world where irrational thinking is often the norm. I'm sure I speak for everyone on the forum in wishing him a huge success with his new movie. Maybe the movie will cause the attorney-general to dish out some justice to the thieves who looted their investment banks by declaring phoney profits. So far, most of those guys seem to be getting away with massive fraud, while taxpayers are required to make good the stolen money.

I think we have an excellent opportunity for these hearings to happen when Congress resumes sessions in September after their holiday break.

Bill Kelly

• 1 month later...

Okay,

This is your last chance to sign this petition before copies are personally handed to Rep. Towns and Clay. Please pass it on to anyone you know who would like to sign it.

We hope to have an official response to this request within a week or two after it is delivered.

There are over 200 signatures, and we would like to get a few more because a few are dups and bogus, though surprisingly, a very small percentage.

We will also add a few names to the petition that will be handed in, of people who don't want their name posted on the internet, but want it included on the petition, which will become an official document that will be entered into the committee's records.

Thanks to all who have participated, and I think we will know if we are successful within a few weeks.

BK

I wonder if the John Snow who signed the petition is the John Snow who presents Channel 4 TV news?

I don't think so John.

There's a John Snow Yankee from Long Island at another forum.

Also, if anyone wants to sign on to the petition, but not on-line, can email me at

bkjfk3@yahoo.com and I'll arrange for you to be included.

We are also considering publishing the petition and an open letter as an ad in one of the Capitol Hill publications that all the Congressmen and their staff read, but alas, that costs money.

And thanks for your enthusiastic support Steve,

BK

"Night is coming, and murder perhaps." - The Old Farmer's Almanac, 11/22/63

• 5 months later...

March 14-20 is Sunshine Week, dedicated to informing people about Open Government issues, including the release of secret government records, so we are using it to launch a major lobby campaign to try to convince the House Oversight Committee to hold oversight hearings on the JFK Act.

We have been trying to do this for over a decade but it now looks like we have sympathetic people in positions of power who just might do what they are supposed to do.

We will be attending as many Sunshine Week events in the DC area as well as some of the events in New York that will be honoring Peter Dale Scott with the intention of convincing others, especially Congressional staff, journalists and other activists, that the JFK assassination records are the most important records still being withheld by the government.

On Wednesday morning from 9am - 12 noon, March 17, we will be meeting in the Conference Room of the Stewart Mott house, behind the Supreme Court, and then attending a House Oversight subcommittee meeting where four members of the NARA subcommittee will be.

On Thursday, March 18, the relevant Subcommittee on Information Policy, NARA and Census will meet at 2 p.m. in the Rayburn Building to discuss FOIA policy. We will also be attending this meeting and hope to convince the committee members to allow us an opportunity to brief them on the JFK Act and the need for oversight.

You are welcome to join us there in person, or join us in the effort to get JFK Act oversight by writting your representatives and members of the House Oversight Committee and Subcommittee and tell them how important this issue really is.

And if you haven't done so yet, sign the petition. It really will make a difference.

A note from John Judge:

Friends,

On Thursday, March 18, 2010, the House Information Policy, Census and

National Archives Subcommittee will hold a hearing entitled:

"Administration of the Freedom of Information Act: Current Trends."

The hearing will take place at 2:00 p.m. in room 2154 Rayburn House Office

Building. The Rayburn Building is south of the Capitol on Independence

and 2nd Street, SW in Washington, DC.

This event falls within Sunshine Week activities in Washington, DC, held

from March 14-20 in DC this year. For more on their plans nationwide see

http://www.sunshineweek.org/About.aspx#howcan.

A group of researchers including Bill Kelly, Bill Simpich, Adele Edisen

and others will be visiting the members of this subcommittee to lobby

for both oversight hearings on the implementation of the JFK

Assassination Records Act as required by legislation, and for hearings

on and passage of a Martin Luther King. Jr. Records Act, as proposed but

not yet introduced by Senator John Kerry and Rep. John Lewis. The

members of the subcommittee are listed at

http://oversight.house.gov/index.php?optio...cle&id=2229

%3Amembership&catid=37&Itemid=20

Please check to see if your representative is listed here and contact

them asking them to support these efforts by calling for hearings and

voting for the new bill when it comes to the floor.

Rep. Lucien Clay, Chairman of the subcommittee was a co-sponsor of the

MLK Records Act when it was introduced by Rep. Cynthia McKinney in 2005

and is sympathetic. If your representative is not listed, ask them to

contact Rep. Clay to urge him to move forward on hearings and to push

for introduction of the MLK bill. Once the bill has a number in the

Senate and House, we will be in touch for ask for further support. This

is an early lobbying effort. The hearings for the MLK Records Act may

combine with the oversight hearings on the JFK Act because they are

closely related.

Thanks for your support, and hope to see you in Dallas this year

November 19-22!

John Judge

--

John Judge

Coalition on Political Assassinations (COPA)

PO Box 772

Washington, DC 20044

copa@starpower.net

Check out our new website:

www.politicalassassinations.com

Annual meeting in Dallas in November

Hotel Lawrence - 214-761-9090 - discount room reservations

Speakers, films, books, resources, email for details

National organization of medical and ballistic experts, academics and

authors, researchers and interested individuals investigating major

political assassinations in America and abroad. Responsible for creation and

implementation of the JFK Assassination Records Act. Promoting a Martin

Luther King Records Act and a grand jury process to reopen all the major

assassinations.

We are not allergic to donations, donations NOT tax deductible. DVD set of

last year's COPA meeting in Dallas for any donation of $50 or more.