The Education Forum

Dick Russell: The Man Who Knew Too Much

Email from an anti-conspiracist journalist:

I note that you have highlighted Dick Russell’s book on your main page and so I wanted to pass on this tidbit. When i was interviewing Sam Papich, the FBI liaison officer to the CIA, about the FBI’s probe into the JFK assassination, several times he stopped the interview and referred me to that book. It was very strange, as if he was trying to tell me something. I’m not sure what, but he just kept saying it was an “interesting” account of events. Knowing Sam as I came to, I have been left with the impression that he regarded certain threads in that book has worthy of further exploration, but thought that journalists had not picked up on those threads.

He also mentioned in those interviews that the thing that bothered him most about the Warren report was that “this would have been very fancy shooting even for the best marksmen in the FBI. But everything we had on Oswald indicated that he was a crappy shot.”

You can use this information however you like, but please don’t attribute it to me....

Email from an anti-conspiracist journalist:

I note that you have highlighted Dick Russell’s book on your main page and so I wanted to pass on this tidbit. When i was interviewing Sam Papich, the FBI liaison officer to the CIA, about the FBI’s probe into the JFK assassination, several times he stopped the interview and referred me to that book. It was very strange, as if he was trying to tell me something. I’m not sure what, but he just kept saying it was an “interesting” account of events. Knowing Sam as I came to, I have been left with the impression that he regarded certain threads in that book has worthy of further exploration, but thought that journalists had not picked up on those threads.

He also mentioned in those interviews that the thing that bothered him most about the Warren report was that “this would have been very fancy shooting even for the best marksmen in the FBI. But everything we had on Oswald indicated that he was a crappy shot.”

You can use this information however you like, but please don’t attribute it to me....

It sounds as though he has a few doubts in his "non-conspiracy" beliefs. I would bet that the reason for issues "worthy of further exploration" had to do with these subjects chiefly, among others:

1.The story of Col. Bishop, who stated that he had met Lee Harvey Oswald, Richard Case Nagell and Rolando Masferrer in the exile training camp north of Lake Pontchartrain. He claimed that Oswald was in the camp, trying to get involved with the Cuban exiles, sent there by Clay Shaw. Basic conspiracy stuff.

2. His similar reports tying Shaw to Ferrie, et. al., the totality of which may be the clearest description of the linkage of Oswald to the conspiracy brewing all summer in New Orleans, a subject perfunctorily treated by the Warren Commission Report, before it cut off all leads in this direction.

3. The book's reports (pg. 523) dealing with LBJ's nefarious activities with Bobby Baker and a string of hoodlums connected to Johnson through Jack Halfen, Carlos Marcello's man in Dallas, to many others, and his help in the Senate in blocking anti-racketeering legislation in exchange for payoffs. That must have, incidentally, put him in direct conflict with RFK and JFK and makes Kennedy's decision to offer him the VP-ship. all the more bizarre (except as a means of getting him out of congress and possibly more under his own control)

Everyone has a slightly different take on the significance of the many tidbits in Dick Russell's book.

Here is my take on the most important ones some of which were Dick Russell themes that never made TMWKTM:

1) H. L. Hunt, Nelson Bunker Hunt and the Intl Committee for the Defense of Christian Culture (ICDCC) plus the Intl Assoc for the Advancement of Eugenics and Ethnology (IAAEE)

2) H. L. Hunt and the hiring of Charles Willoughby IN 1952 to seek out oil drilling leases in Mozambique after he and MacArthur were sacked by Rusk, Acheson and Truman

3) The informant's note on stationery from King Edward Sheraton in Toronto implicating Maj Gen Charles Willoughby (retired) as the chief JFK plotmaster

4) "EVEN PATRIOTS CAN NOT TAKE THE LAW INTO THEIR OWN HANDS" "WAS THERE A ROBOT KILLER?" "WHITE" and "BIBLE" references - the informant's quotes.

5) The role of Maj Gen Edwin Walker (retired) in the DNZ phone call from Germany and other JFK plot related events.

6) The roles of Urkainian fascist James Wheeler-Hill of the German American Bund and the person named "Wrangel" who could have been Baron Charles Wrangel the ex-Czarist from the Ukraine.

Both men were frequent companions of Anastase Vonsiatsky and Yaroslaw Stetsko.

7) The role of "Los Tecos" the Mexican underground contingent and the entry in both WACCFL and WACL

8) The role of "Angel" and "Hernandez" (the same person) and Alpha 66 plus the 30th of November Movement from Miami

9) The roles of Spas Raikin, Yaroslaw Stetsko, Edwin Walker and Charles Willoughby on the American Friends of the Anti-Bolshevik Nations (ABN) the WACL delegation

10) The role of Robert J. Morris, YAF Man of the Year for 1963, and the Dallas John Birch Society of Walker, Morris, Schmidt and Willoughby

I sent this information to Larry Hancock. This is what he said in reply:

That is quite fascinating, partically because Dick's book was never in the main wave of JFK assassination books, it was fairly late and certainly not one of the more commonly referenced titles. I'm almost surprised Papich even knew about it. And if he took it that seriously I would say it is very meaningful. I wonder what he would have said about SWHT since I certainly develop several of Dick's threads.

I've certainly become more convinced than ever that Hecksher was the CIA officer in contact with Nagell in Mexico City and that it was his covert Cuban affairs role which led to his selection to lead the AM/WORLD project. That really makes no sense at all unless he had some background with the personalities and given that Mexico was going to be a major focus for Ray as well as moving the whole thing offshore..

Not quite sure how I can use it but its just one more thing that leads me to belive Dick started us off in the right direction.

That is quite fascinating, partically because Dick's book was never in the main wave of JFK assassination books, it was fairly late and certainly not one of the more commonly referenced titles. I'm almost surprised Papich even knew about it. And if he took it that seriously I would say it is very meaningful. I wonder what he would have said about SWHT since I certainly develop several of Dick's threads.

I've certainly become more convinced than ever that Hecksher was the CIA officer in contact with Nagell in Mexico City and that it was his covert Cuban affairs role which led to his selection to lead the AM/WORLD project. That really makes no sense at all unless he had some background with the personalities and given that Mexico was going to be a major focus for Ray as well as moving the whole thing offshore..

Not quite sure how I can use it but its just one more thing that leads me to belive Dick started us off in the right direction.

Perhaps that should read: "...Dick started us off in the RIGHT direction."

Dick Russell joined Richard Condon in ManCand who went after both retired Army Intelligence, William F. Buckley, Jr., The Liberty Lobby and The John Birch Society, then Rep. Henry Gonzalez, later Jim Garrison who went after Edgar Eugene Bradley, Dr. Stanley Drennan and Rev. Carl MacIntire from the Religious Right, then Bill Turner who implicated Robert J. Morris, Charles Willoughby, the American Security Council, The Liberty Lobby, the John Birch Society and Patrick Frawley, Jr. who hired Robert Morris at Schick and Technicolor, then the LaFontaines who implicated The Minutemen and The Birch Society with good research, then Sheri Seymour who went after Wm. Potter Gale (using his own confession) and GLK Smith's Christian Identity Movement, and Jack Ruby who implicated Edwin A. Walker and the Dallas John Birch Society, and Willie Somersett who implicated Joseph Milteer, The Congress of Freedom, the NSRP of Senator Strom Thurmond, then Richard Giesbrecht who implicated NARWACL, GLK Smith, Anastase Vonsiatsky, Ronald Gostick, The Canadian Intelligence Service, The Liberty Lobby, Patrick J. Walsh, ABN (Andrij Melnyk and Yaroslaw Stetsko), Wickliffe Draper and The American Mercury crowd, then Prof. Bruce Cumings who implicated H. L. Hunt and Willoughby in the anti-Truman, anti-Rusk and anti-Acheson efforts during the Origins of the Korean War Volume I and II, and Jon and Scott Anderson who told us all about WACL and WACCFL in Inside the League and Russ Bellant who told us all about Old Nazis, the New Right and the Republican Pary and The Coors Connection.

Despite the overwhelming evidence gathered by a dozen or more professional researchers and writers against the Far Reich Wing, there are only a few with the courage of their convictions to pursue these avenues. Certainly the Far Reich had representation in Army Intel

both retired and active, the CIA, both retired and active, ONI, DIA, NSA and elsewhere, but for some reason Army Intel, ONI, DIA and NSA are given a pass. And in the meantime, the real culprits got off scott free.

• 1 month later...

Forgive my ignorance but what is SWHT? A book by Larry Hancock or what?

Someone Would Have Talked - by Larry Hancock - the most important book published about the assassination of JFK in the past decade.

BK

Guest Tom Scully

"Someone Would Have Talked" is the name of Hancock's book....you probably wouldn't like it, John.

http://www.larry-hancock.com/

.....Chapter 16

It seems very likely that the FBI was bugging and monitoring Baker’s business partners not only because of their connection to Baker and potentially to Johnson, since Hoover always liked to keep his options open, but also because Baker’s business partners were linked to two of the biggest names in the syndicate world—Lansky and Dalitz.....

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=1XkRA...b+crown+kirkeby

Ex-Yankees Owner Linked to Mobsters

.....Mobster Moe B. Dalitz, a top Lansky aide, and convicted stock swindler Allard Roes, as well as two of their associates, obtained substantial blocks of Webb stock through a property transfer in 1969.

Webb executives refused to allow IRE to examine stockholder records, even after IRE purchased a share of stock in the public corporation. Robert H. Johnson, who replaced Webb as president, and Jacobsen both declined to be interviewed.....

....Crown, now 80....became a close advisor to Webb and one of the few men allowed in the inner councils of the corporation....

• 9 months later...
Someone Would Have Talked - by Larry Hancock - the most important book published about the assassination of JFK in the past decade.

BK

I agree. It is a disgrace that the book was largely ignored when it was published.

To Dick Russell.......

I don't know if you have ever read the 222 page Security File on Richard Case Nagell, but since you interviewed Col Stanley, I thought it might be worth mentioning on page 157, when the document is focusing on the period of April 1956, there is mention made of a "Captain Charles Stanley," of the Administrative Vice Detail of the Los Angeles Police Department, who, is on record, as informing that Richard Case Nagell had questioned "two of his officers" in a Japanese restaurant, later on in the document, there is a notation for FOI and ACRAFE.

http://www.maryferre...5&relPageId=127

I realize that the Stanley you interviewed was John B. Stanley, but still felt it was worth a mention. I am also intrigued by the Monterrey Language School in relation to whether there is a chance that Lee Harvey Oswald recieved assistance in learning Russian there. There is an interesting website that details the history of that institution, I thought I might throw that in.

Part of that material reads as follows.

" In 1946, after World War II, the MISLS moved to the Presidio of Monterey. It added Russian, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, and six other languages to its curriculum, and was renamed the Army Language School in 1947. The school expanded rapidly in 1947–48 to meet the requirements of America's global commitments during the Cold War. Instructors, including native speakers of more than thirty languages and dialects, were recruited from all over the world. Russian became the largest language program, followed by Chinese, Korean, and German. After the Korean War (1950–53), the school developed a national reputation for excellence in foreign language education. The Army Language School led the way with the audio-lingual method and the application of educational technology such as the language laboratory.

In the 1950s, the U.S. Air Force met most of its foreign language training requirements through contract programs at universities such as Yale, Cornell, Indiana, and Syracuse. During this period, the U.S. Navy taught foreign languages at the Naval Intelligence School in Washington, D.C.

Defense Language Institute

In 1963, to promote efficiency and economy, the three Service language programs were consolidated into the Defense Foreign Language Program and the former Army Language School commandant, Colonel James L. Collins, Jr., became the Institute's first director. The Army Language School became the DLI West Coast Branch, and the foreign language department at the Naval Intelligence School became the DLI East Coast Branch and headquarters for the program. The Air Force programs were phased out by 1970 and the U.S. Air Force English Language School for foreign military personnel at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, became the Defense Language Institute English Language Center."

Monterrey School of the Army see page 98 The Man Who Knew Too Much

http://www.monterey....bout/about.html

Robert: And although you may not be as interested in John B Hurt's [Oswald, apparently tried to call him on 11/23/63] associates during the pre-Pearl Harbor era [Friedman, Kullback, Sinkov, Miller] as some of us here on the Forum are...the following information is fascinating to me, for it raises the possibility that SIGINT was possibly functioning in Mexico at the time of the Kennedy Assassination.

"Military Intelligence Service Language School

On the eve of America?s entry into World War II, when the U.S. Army established a secret school at Crissy Field, Presidio of San Francisco, to teach the Japanese language. Classes began November 1, 1941, with four instructors and 60 students in an abandoned airplane hangar at Crissy Field. The students were mostly second-generation Japanese-Americans (Nisei) from the West Coast.

During the war the Military Intelligence Service Language School (MISLS), as it came to be called, grew dramatically. When Japanese-Americans on the West Coast were moved into internment camps in 1942, the school moved to temporary quarters at Camp Savage, Minnesota. By 1944 the school had outgrown these facilities and moved to nearby Fort Snelling. More than 6,000 graduates served throughout the Pacific Theater during the war and the subsequent occupation of Japan.

In 1946 the school moved to the historic Presidio of Monterey.

As late as 1951 the Camp Gordon Signal School was still teaching cryptography.

http://www.nasaa-home.org/history/schools.htm."

Edited by Robert Howard