The Education Forum

John O'Neill, FBI counterterrorism expert

I am seeking information on the late John O'Neill, especially research not already published in the small media blitz that followed his death.

O'Neill was head of the FBI's NYC counterterrorism unit in the half-decade before 9/11, making him the Bureau's informal counterterrorism "czar." His is credited as the lone voice that tried to convince DC that a major terror event would again strike the WTC. O'Neill's flamboyant lifestyle and irrepressible opinions are said to have caused the Bureau to coerce his early retirement. He died near the South Tower on 9/11, on the first day of his new private-sector job as head of security at WTC.

I am interested in these among other topics:

*O'Neill's political and business connections in NYC and DC

*His personal finances and official budget

*His involvement in the Flight 800 investigation

*Any connection to investigation of the plotters in the 1993 WTC bombing

*O'Neill's retirement and subsequent employment at WTC

*The contents of the rented storage space discovered after his death

Edited by David Andrews

I am seeking information on the late John O'Neill, especially research not already published in the small media blitz that followed his death.

O'Neill was head of the FBI's NYC counterterrorism unit in the half-decade before 9/11, making him the Bureau's informal counterterrorism "czar." His is credited as the lone voice that tried to convince DC that a major terror event would again strike the WTC. O'Neill's flamboyant lifestyle and irrepressible opinions are said to have caused the Bureau to coerce his early retirement. He died near the South Tower on 9/11, on the first day of his new private-sector job as head of security at WTC.

I am interested in these among other topics:

*O'Neill's political and business connections in NYC and DC

*His personal finances and official budget

*His involvement in the Flight 800 investigation

*Any connection to investigation of the plotters in the 1993 WTC bombing

*O'Neill's retirement and subsequent employment at WTC

*The contents of the rented storage space discovered after his death

Hello David,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier on JB's post re: Georgetown.

John O'Neill did indeed attend American U., after graduating from Atlantic City's Holy Spirit HS - where mob boss "Crazy Phil" Leonetti (Who ratted out John Gotti) and CIA's John C. Ford also attended, before he became the supposed connection between RFK, JMWAVE and Rosselli/mobsters in the plots to kill Castro.

O'Neill's Holy Spirt high school pal Jack Caravelli went to Georgetown and on to CIA.

I think Carvarelli is now with a London anti-terror think tank.

O'Neill also attended post-grad at George Washington U. in DC, which is the home base of the National Security Archives - (not to be confused with the Other NSA), and instrumental in the Freedom of Information release of many important government records.

When I went to DC to cover the 9/11 Commission hearings I concentrated on the Air Defense and John O'Neill, since I live near Atlantic City, and know some of the players, pilots and/or their friends personally.

O'Neill's wife and daughter own a gift shop at the Shore, and I am friends with some of John's old school mates, though I haven't talked with Cavarelli. Murray Weiss did though - in "The Man Who Warned America - the Life and Death of John O'Neill - the FBI's embattled Counter-terror Warrior."

While we now know more about what was going on behind the scenes, it hasn't helped in making things more clear, as it would have been an incredible if the timing of the September 11th attacks were based on O'Neill's movements, which would have been very vindictive and with malice on OBL's part, and if true, would have meant penetration by doubleagents.

It was easier for the 9/11 Commission to not deal with O'Neill at all, or even try to answer any of the questions that he poses.

But it is hard to ignore the pre-9/11 al Qada assassination and bomb ops against the WTC, before 9/11, which lead directly to Ali Mohammad, the Special Forces Sgt. who trained special ops soldiers at Fort Bragg and Camp Perry. Their guy was in a position to know, so they knew more then than we know now.

O'Neill's son, who watched the WTC burn from the AMTRACK train entering NYC, is still involved and has maintained legal prosecution of the Saudi government and others, and is said to have maintained John O'Neill's private network in the continuing war.

O'Neill was a worthy opponent of OBL, before anybody ever heard of him, but as they say in the street language O'Neill knew from his Atlantic City street sense and counter-gang work in Chicago, he was Sucker Punched.

But there are no rules to this game, and in the end, OBL will get his.

BK

Will fill you in with more when I get the chance.

Bill Kelly

Edited by William Kelly