The Education Forum

Libra

I was talkng to my daughter tonight and asked her about how she is getting through her senior year at college. She is an English/Languages major. I always give her a pep talk about doing her best and getting her degree (even though she is an A/B student and that shouldn't be a problem). She studies the classics and other literature far beyond what I ever did.

She mentioned that with her course weight she felt bad that she didn't have the time to really digest some writings and was only scanning for the sake of making a grade sometimes. She also mentioned that one of the books was "Libra" and that she was very interested in it. I almost fell out of my chair. We had a nice conversation about the JFK assassination, but I didn't want to go to far and wear her out. I was very pleased that she is interested in the autumn of 1963, yet I didn't want to come across as an expert.

Granted, I'm no real expert compared to the knowledge of the folks on this board...but (thanks to reading here) I would be in the top 98% of human beings on the planet on this subject.

I'm currently reading "JFK...the Unspeakable", and am tempted to send her my copy after she graduates. Still, it is a long book that tends to repeat points and go off on tangeants. Young folks nowadays like to cut to the chase. They need a primer that is concise and to the point(s).

What do you -all think? :unsure:

Edited by David S. Brownlee

I was talkng to my daughter tonight and asked her about how she is getting through her senior year at college. She is an English/Languages major. I always give her a pep talk about doing her best and getting her degree (even though she is an A/B student and that shouldn't be a problem). She studies the classics and other literature far beyond what I ever did.

She mentioned that with her course weight she felt bad that she didn't have the time to really digest some writings and was only scanning for the sake of making a grade sometimes. She also mentioned that one of the books was "Libra" and that she was very interested in it. I almost fell out of my chair. We had a nice conversation about the JFK assassination, but I didn't want to go to far and wear her out. I was very pleased that she is interested in the autumn of 1963, yet I didn't want to come across as an expert.

Granted, I'm no real expert compared to the knowledge of the folks on this board...but (thanks to reading here) I would be in the top 98% of human beings on the planet on this subject.

I'm currently reading "JFK...the Unspeakable", and am tempted to send her my copy after she graduates. Still, it is a long book that tends to repeat points and go off on tangeants. Young folks nowadays like to cut to the chase. They need a primer that is concise and to the point(s).

What do you -all think? :unsure:

David,

Libra is literature.

I must have lent my copy of Unspeakable out.

While you have yours handy, will you please quote for us the reference on page 365 of Jim Douglas' "JFK & the Unspeakable" about the phone call to North Carolina?

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...mp;#entry184458

Thanks,

BK

My (book) copy doesn't say that. 365 says nothing about a call to N.C....it mostly refers to Lee's handling after capture. His hope for the NY attorney and then for an ACLU Lawyer.

It may be different since mine is pretty new. Things change over different publishings I suppose. I read page 365 twice and saw no mention of NC phone calls. I'm not sure what you mean....are you trying to catch me in something?

Maybe you can - all I know is what I read from an honestly bought book. Page #365 starts out as "4:30 P.M., the Deputy Sheriff looked through the open door at the prisoner".

It finishes with "At 10:45PM Mrs. Sweeney took a call from the jail".....................

I think a good primer is Ted Soerensens ''Kennedy''.

David,

Libra is literature.

I must have lent my copy of Unspeakable out.

While you have yours handy, will you please quote for us the reference on page 365 of Jim Douglas' "JFK & the Unspeakable" about the phone call to North Carolina?

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...mp;#entry184458

Thanks,

BK

Hi Bill

The reference for the phone call to Raleigh is:

Pat Smith, "Oswald May Have Tried to Call Raleigh Man from Dallas Jail," Raleigh News and Observer (July 17, 1980), p. 11. Grover B. Proctor, Jr., "The Phone Call That Never Was," Raleigh Spectator (July 17, 1980), p. 6.

Lee

Thanks Lee,

So Douglas' reference is the Raleigh News and Observer and Raleigh Spectator.

Another thought on Libra, as fictional literature, it seems to try to get into Oswald's head, and though the author knew a lot about Oswald and did his homework, what transpires in both the novel and the real world can be best explained as Oswald being framed as the Patsy and being as surprised by the assassination as innocent people were.

BK

Edited by William Kelly