The Education Forum

TSBD "Hertz Sign"

I asked Gary Mack about the Hertz sign a few months ago.

His reply

Hi Robin,

The Hertz sign was stored in the TSBD basement for many years, then given to the Museum by Dallas County after they bought the building in 1977. We have it offsite in secure storage.

Interesting as to where the old Hertz sign is stored, but. . .

Does anyone know the date (month and year would be fine) when the Sexton grocery sign was replaced by the Hertz sign?

Presumably, this would be sometime after February, 1962, but I'd like more specific information, if it is available.

Please send any info on that to me at dlfton2003@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

DSL

I posted this on Duncans forum already but might as well say it again, John Woods has provided me with many amazing assassination photos that I have never seen or been abel to get.

John is selfless and shares his awesome photo collection with other researchers

Thanks John

Interesting as to where the old Hertz sign is stored, but. . .

Does anyone know the date (month and year would be fine) when the Sexton grocery sign was replaced by the Hertz sign?

Presumably, this would be sometime after February, 1962, but I'd like more specific information, if it is available.

Please send any info on that to me at dlfton2003@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

DSL

I don't know if this will help you. I found it on the Internet:

"Sexton to Sixth-Floor

"The building remained vacant until 1940, when the John Sexton Co. leased it. The grocery wholesaler, who catered primarily to restaurants and institutions, opened its first Dallas branch office and warehouse on January 1, 1941.

"About every two weeks, bulk grocery supplies (usually canned goods) would come in by rail and be transferred to the building by carts and the two freight elevators at the building's rear. The building, which displayed the company's name in large letters just above the sixth floor, became familiar locally as the Sexton Building. The structure would be described that way in some early police reports, even though Sexton had left the building on November 1961 for a modern single-story facility."

Kathy C

Possibly, perhaps more so because of the time/temp sign, it's something that might have needed some approval and a contact with the council could amswer it.