The Education Forum

Happy St. Patrick's Day

This is a great week because it heralds the beginning of SPRING.

It is especially great, because we celebrate THE GREATEST MAN WHO EVER LIVED, THE BOLD SAINT PATRICK, who abolished slavery a thousand years before Lincoln.

Hope y'all enjoy this song by Nanci Griffith, a great Texan.

It is especially great, because we celebrate THE GREATEST MAN WHO EVER LIVED, THE BOLD SAINT PATRICK, who abolished slavery a thousand years before Lincoln.

Thanks for the St. Patrick greeting and the link to the perfectly lovely song on you tube.

I'm an Irish American with relatives in the Carroll clan and an occasional student of Irish history.

Even though St. Patrick had a great influence on Ireland. He was not the first christian saint but more an emissary of the Church of Rome sent to control the emerging Irish Christianity built on the Druidic tradition. When Patrick arrived several Druidic colleges had already converted to and were teaching Christianity. Sadly just as the libraries of Alexandria were burned, many Druidic and/or Christian colleges and libraries were destroyed by the dictates of Rome. Few Pre-Patrick texts exist, even though several Greek references attest to Pre-Christian Greeks visiting Ireland to read Irish texts, so the early academic tradition is known.

The Irish were among the first European to convert to Christianity in the first century AD. It is claimed that one of the three wise men was in fact a Druid. As it is now recognized that trade between the Mideast and the British isles was common in the ancient world, this claim is not so fantastic. Early Christian exchange occurred when James the son of Zebedee preached in Ireland and returned to Jerusalem with nine Irish converts. From the hero of the Ulaid in the Ulster Cycle ---Conal Cearnach, there is an account of his visit to Jerusalem and conversion of the Irish Chief Conor Mac Nessa, during the time of Christ.

There are famous Irish bishops before Patrick. For instance there are Palladius, and St. Declan who was among the four Pre-Patrick Bishops to resist Patrick and the intrusion of the Church of Rome. See also St. Jerome's scathing criticism of Irish/Scotus Bishop St. Celestius, the disciple of Pelagius. Celestius also debated with Augustine and was excommunicated by the Council of Ephesius for his stand against doctrine of the early church.

So Patrick's ministry is a mixed blessing.

Happy Day.

Some of this material is from the Story of Irish Race Seumus MacManaus 1944.

And a Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, Ray. Do I count as Irish if my people came from a bit east Belfast on the coast? The tune was just wonderful to listen to.

Tink Thompson

Do I count as Irish if my people came from a bit east Belfast on the coast? The tune was just wonderful to listen to.

Tink Thompson

Yes Josiah, East Belfast is a precious part of Old Erin.

I am guessing that you also have some Scottish ancestry, and of course this melody is well-known as the melody for ROBBIE BURNS'S LOCH LOMOND.

I was born on Burns's day, and love all his songs and poems, but I am reliably informed that this melody originally came from Ireland.

So Patrick's ministry is a mixed blessing.

Happy Day.

Thank you for the learned dissertation, but I'll not hear a bad word about the good saint.

Happy Day to you also, Jeanie.

And J. Dean, sure would like to read any of your poetry.

Happy St. Patrick's day.

Happy day to you also, Harry.

But if I'm a poet

Then you alone Know it!

• 1 year later...

Don't forget the old Irish Saint Malachy. He supposedly named all the Popes of the future. The last pope was named Benedict.

Kathy C

Not quite, Kath. Benedict is supposedly the next to last Pope. The last will be named Peter the Roman, who will lead his sheep through a multitude of problems before the Seven Hills of Rome are destroyed.

Not that I want to seem to be a Job's comforter. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the old Irish Saint Malachy. He supposedly named all the Popes of the future. The last pope was named Benedict.

Kathy C

Not quite, Kath. Benedict is supposedly the next to last Pope. The last will be named Peter the Roman, who will lead his sheep through a multitude of problems before the Seven Hills of Rome are destroyed.

Not that I want to seem to be a Job's comforter. :roll eyes:

p.s. do I count as Irish as I love Guinness?