The Education Forum

Stuart Wexler and the MLK assassination

Hello,

Please see - http://justiceforken...assination.html

A fair warning about a book that is going to come out.

Joe

Thanks for the head's up Joe.

That's some warning.

Knowing that Stu and Larry almost had a deal with Trinday, who published T. Carter's book on the MLK assassination, along with Larry's association with Lancer, I knew there was some bad blood among researchers over the publication of their work, but I didn't expect it from this direction.

Also knowing that both Stu and Larry are excellent researchers, and Larry has previously published "Someone Would Have Talked," one of the best and important books on the JFK assassination, I don't understand why people just don't trust them to do their best and wait to see exactly what it is they write before casting judgement.

In a joint statement in response to Joe Backe's blog notce Larry and Stu say:

"It is always interesting to find people who tell you what your book is about before they read it. Judging by the number of factual errors, and errors of nuance, in the above posting, I think Joe is someone who has made up his mind, facts be damned. It would be nice if Joe were to bother to write us and ask us-- he does know how to contact both of us-- before he wrote this. He would have realized the following: (1) We don't commit to Ray as a shooter (2) We don't say Ray broke out of prison to pursue a King bounty (3) We don't say Ray was a lonenut."

"Kind of kills the entire essence of his post. Do we favor Joe's pet theory, informed perhaps by the uncritical acceptance of work done by people who support his preconceived political agenda? I guess we will have to wait for the book to come out. What we will say is that anyone who bases their view of the King assassination on the reliability of James Earl Ray is displaying the same degree of critical skepticism as those who believe David Phillips testimony before the HSCA. We will be more than happy to engage in a serious debate once the actual book is out."

- Stuart Wexler and Larry Hancock

For more on this issue go to:

Billsbooksblog: Wexler and Hancock write "Awful Grace" on MLK Assassination

The Awful Grace of God; Racial Terrorism andthe Unsolved Murder of Martin Luther King Jr.

by: Stuart Wexler and Larry Hancock

ISBN: 9781582438306 |1582438307

Format: Trade Book

Publisher: Counterpoint

Pub. Date: 4/10/2012

Summary

Awful Grace chronicles a multi-year effort to kill Martin Luther King Jr. by a group of the nation's most violent right-wing extremists. Impeccably researched and thoroughly documented, this examines figures like Sam Bowers, head of the White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan of Mississippi, responsible for more than three hundred separate acts of violence in Mississippi alone; J.B. Stoner, who ran an organization that the California attorney general said was more active and dangerous than any other ultra-right organization; and Reverend Wesley Swift, a religious demagogue who inspired two generations of violent extremists. United in a holy cause to kill King, this network of racist militants were the likely culprits behind James Earl Ray and King's assassination in Memphis on April 4th, 1968. King would be their ultimate prize a symbolic figure whose assassination could foment an apocalypse that would usher in their Kingdom of God, a racially "pure" white world. Hancock and Wexler have sifted through thousands of pages of declassified and never-before-released law enforcement files on the King murder, conducted dozens of interviews with figures of the period, andre-examined information from several recent cold case investigations. Theirstudy reveals a terrorist network never before described in contemporaryhistory. They have unearthed data that was unavailable to congressional investigators and used new data-mining techniques to extend the investigation begun by the House Select Committee on Assassinations. Awful Grace offers the most comprehensive and up-to-date study of the King assassination and presents a roadmap for future investigation

Edited by William Kelly

Hello,

Please see - http://justiceforken...assination.html

A fair warning about a book that is going to come out.

Joe

Thanks for the head's up Joe.

That's some warning.

Knowing that Stu and Larry almost had a deal with Trinday, who published T. Carter's book on the MLK assassination, along with Larry's association with Lancer, I knew there was some bad blood among researchers over the publication of their work, but I didn't expect it from this direction.

Also knowing that both Stu and Larry are excellent researchers, and Larry has previously published "Someone Would Have Talked," one of the best and important books on the JFK assassination, I don't understand why people just don't trust them to do their best and wait to see exactly what it is they write before casting judgement.

In a joint statement in response to Joe Backe's blog notce Larry and Stu say:

"It is always interesting to find people who tell you what your book is about before they read it. Judging by the number of factual errors, and errors of nuance, in the above posting, I think Joe is someone who has made up his mind, facts be damned. It would be nice if Joe were to bother to write us and ask us-- he does know how to contact both of us-- before he wrote this. He would have realized the following: (1) We don't commit to Ray as a shooter (2) We don't say Ray broke out of prison to pursue a King bounty (3) We don't say Ray was a lonenut."

"Kind of kills the entire essence of his post. Do we favor Joe's pet theory, informed perhaps by the uncritical acceptance of work done by people who support his preconceived political agenda? I guess we will have to wait for the book to come out. What we will say is that anyone who bases their view of the King assassination on the reliability of James Earl Ray is displaying the same degree of critical skepticism as those who believe David Phillips testimony before the HSCA. We will be more than happy to engage in a serious debate once the actual book is out."

- Stuart Wexler and Larry Hancock

For more on this issue go to:

Billsbooksblog: Wexler and Hancock write "Awful Grace" on MLK Assassination

The Awful Grace of God; Racial Terrorism andthe Unsolved Murder of Martin Luther King Jr.

by: Stuart Wexler and Larry Hancock

ISBN: 9781582438306 |1582438307

Format: Trade Book

Publisher: Counterpoint

Pub. Date: 4/10/2012

Summary

Awful Grace chronicles a multi-year effort to kill Martin Luther King Jr. by a group of the nation's most violent right-wing extremists. Impeccably researched and thoroughly documented, this examines figures like Sam Bowers, head of the White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan of Mississippi, responsible for more than three hundred separate acts of violence in Mississippi alone; J.B. Stoner, who ran an organization that the California attorney general said was more active and dangerous than any other ultra-right organization; and Reverend Wesley Swift, a religious demagogue who inspired two generations of violent extremists. United in a holy cause to kill King, this network of racist militants were the likely culprits behind James Earl Ray and King's assassination in Memphis on April 4th, 1968. King would be their ultimate prize a symbolic figure whose assassination could foment an apocalypse that would usher in their Kingdom of God, a racially "pure" white world. Hancock and Wexler have sifted through thousands of pages of declassified and never-before-released law enforcement files on the King murder, conducted dozens of interviews with figures of the period, andre-examined information from several recent cold case investigations. Theirstudy reveals a terrorist network never before described in contemporaryhistory. They have unearthed data that was unavailable to congressional investigators and used new data-mining techniques to extend the investigation begun by the House Select Committee on Assassinations. Awful Grace offers the most comprehensive and up-to-date study of the King assassination and presents a roadmap for future investigation

I helped track down a few rare newspaper articles for Larry and Stu when they started work on this, and I can vouch that they didn't write the book to blame James Earl Ray for the killing. To my recollection, they were interested in the links between white power groups and a threat on King's life reported in 1965, in which arrests were made and weapons were confiscated.

As a result, I suspect that--no matter their conclusions--their book will take a comprehensive look at those wanting King dead, and be a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the dark side of the sixties.