The Education Forum

Is the Malcolm Wallace fingerprint in the sniper's nest a "myth"?

Terry Adams

Guest Robert Morrow

Email exchange between Barr McClellan and me on the topic of the Mac Wallace fingerprint:

Barr McClellan to me on 9/30/13:
Robert,
The prints were recovered from the Warren records, from the assassination library in DC (or just outside DC). We obtained all the print records from the 6th floor. Nathan then compared the print card we had for Wallace from DPS to all the latent prints from TSBD, to see if any matched.
Warren made two reviews of the 37 latent prints records. Some were good but some were hard to use. The first review was by two highly qualified latent print examiners who were looking for a match to Oswald, nothing else. As the final report was printed and prepared for release, the question arose about the prints those two examiners had not identified or had labeled too small or unreadable. When that second review was made, the FBI changed the classification of the latent prints, resulting in fewer useful prints, and letting them report all were identified.
The FBI was ordered to prepare a report tracing the prints. The report, if any, was not available on the public record. The report was ordered because the latent prints were reclassified and moved from legible to illegible or vice versa.
There were many inconsistencies between the two reviews. We covered the details and the review we made, including some examiners who questioned Darby's match. The details are in my book.
Good questions, Robert. Any more? Let me know.
All the best,
Barr
To: Barr McClellan
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: What is your response to this? fingerprint vs. palm print

I am having a hard time understanding. Barr, how did you get the fingerprint from the government? Did you ask for all the recovered fingerprints from the 6th floor TSBD and then Nathan Darby picked a fingerprint that would be from the same finger as the Mac Wallace print that you got from Texas Dept of Safety?
I don't understand. Did you give ONE fingerprint to Darby or did you give ALL the recovered fingerprints and then let Darby pick one of them to test for a match?
What do you mean by Warren moved some prints around?
Sincerely,
Robert Morrow 512-306-1510
In a message dated 9/30/2013 6:52:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time, Barr McClellan writes:
Robert -
Saw the query alleging a hoax, that Warren said it identified all prints except the palm print. Darby had all prints recovered and made his selection. Warren moved some prints around and issued the summary but the details are different. The details are reviewed at length in my book and show a thorough review. The Darby print ID stood up then; stands up now. More will be covered in my next book - Verdict. The only misstatement was by Warren saying all prints were ID'd when the last report was a change from what was done on Oswald.

"Morrow321@aol.com" <Morrow321@aol.com>

To:
Barr McClellan

Sent:
Friday, September 27, 2013 11:41 AM

Subject:
Re: What is your response to this? fingerprint vs. palm print

Good.
In a message dated 9/27/2013 5:50:09 A.M. Central Daylight Time Barr McClellan writes:
Robert - Working up a response at Doug's request. Will have to you over the weekend. Best, Barr
"Morrow321@aol.com" <Morrow321@aol.com>

To:
Barr McClellan

Sent:
Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:48 PM

Subject:
What is your response to this? fingerprint vs. palm print

Barr, I know you got Mac Wallace's fingerprint from the Dept. of Public Safety. Where did you get the other fingerprint from?
"I see you've fallen for the myth about Malcolm Wallace's prints being on the TSBD boxes. Of course, Wallace's prints were not on any of those boxes, because the only unidentified print on ANY of the TSBD boxes (per
) was a
palmprint
, not a
fingerprint
. The Wallace thing is a hoax". Simple as that. David Von Pein [von Pein is a lone nutter]

Chris, I think the most fundamental issue is who if anyone actually had a sample of the print at this point. Its my understanding that Jaye got a copy from the Houston PD who were in turn very upset when they found out how he was using it.

I would assume then that Walt Brown might have the print. I would suggest that someone contact Walt about the current status of the print and perhaps for some overall comment on the whole issue. If anyone should know it would seem to be he. And if anyone else has a copy of the print that would be good to know too.

-- Larry

Isn't it about how much material one has to work with and how many matches that determine a legal match?

The uniqueness of fingerprints and DNA is not really disputed. (?) A number of ex deathrow inmates are probably happy about that.

Isn't the apple personal tracking devices' fingerprinting technology at this stage quite rudimentary? Still it probably won't be long before a growing database of finferprints are ported to the NSA. (Who cares? Nothing to worry about. (sorry, I read too much Snowden/Greenwald.))

Yea, the NSA will have all our fingerprints and profiles as well as those of JFK's killers, but won't hand them over.

As for the use of fingerprints and DNA in convictions, Dallas has the largest number of convicts freed because of the development of new evidence, mainly DNA - because the Dallas DA in the old days - Henry Wade - secured and kept the evidence, and the current Dallas DA (Watkins) worked with the Innocence Project, that helps exonerate those wrongfully convicted, mainly blacks who were railroaded by white cops. It seems that most of the overturned convictions were based on faulty witness testimony, and fingerprints and DNA are depended on in most homicide cases.

In this case, the fingerprints of the TSBD workers and the policeman who handled the boxes, should be among the Warren Commission records released under the JFK Act.

Edited by William Kelly

Chris, yes I let my antipathy towards anything that supports the NSA and gluttonous consumerism involving any company that cedes rights to the NSA as well and therefore miss the very good point you make re the usefulness of the essence of the idea you presented.

BK, yes the difficulty is getting hold of all the prints. Short of something akin to a miracle it might just remain just another unresolved matter among so many others..