The Education Forum

Goldberg, Goldberg and Goldberg

Actually there are five Goldbergs who become entwined in the JFK assassination story, three journalists and two lawyers.

Two of the journalists are A. I. Goldberg, an Associated Press Moscow correspondent whose name and phone number are listed in Oswald's notebook, and Sidney Goldberg, an editor for the North American Newspaper Alliance (NANA) who worked closely with Ian Fleming and possibly edited Priscilla Johnson's article on her interview with Oswald in Moscow. Sidney married Lucianne Cummings in 1966, and she, a former LBJ campaign worker, went on to get Linda Tripp to secretly and illegally tape record Monica Lowenski.

The two Goldbergs that are the lawyers got important phone calls from LBJ. They are Irving Goldberg, the Dallas attorney who was one of the first persons LBJ called from Air Force One. While the conversation was not recorded, Goldberg later said that LBJ asked him if he should be sworn in right away or wait until he got to Washington and Goldberg said to do it right away, and suggested that Federal Judge Sarah Hughes be the person to do it.

Once in Washington LBJ called a few people from his office in the Executive Office Building, including Supreme Court Justice Arthur Joseph Goldberg, a former Labor lawyer from Chicago who LBJ got to resign from the bench to become US ambassador to the UN so he could appoint Abe Fortes to the Supreme Court.

Then there's Alfred Goldberg, the Pentagon historian who co-authored the Warren Report.

I'd like to learn more about all of these guys, if anybody has any interesting information on them.

For instance I can't get A. I. Goldberg's full first and middle name, though I'm sure it is out there somewhere. Most of the WC documents just refer to him as "A.I."

Then Pat Speer suggested that Alfred Goldberg at the Pentagon is a brother to Arthur J. Goldberg, the Supreme Court justice and UN Ambassador, who also served in the OSS during World War II.

While Justice Goldberg has ten brothers and sisters, I can't seem to get the names of any of them, but it seems highly unlikely to me that the historian is a brother to the Supreme Court justice, though its is possible. I'd like to confirm or refute that point if its possible.

In any case, I thought I'd share some of these interesting tidbits with the hope that others will be interested enough to help put together some more of their backgrounds, most of which I got so far from their obituaries.

There is a recording of LBJ's late Friday night phone conversation with Justice A. J. Goldberg, who went to Andrews Air Force Base to be there when Air Force One landed.

In his conversation with Goldberg on the night of the assassination LBJ is quoted as saying: "I want you to be thinking about what I ought to do to try to bring all [of] these elements together and unite the country - and the main thing, preserve our system in the world. Because, if it starts falling to pieces, and some of the extremes go to getting...proceed on the wrong assumptions why we could deteriorate pretty...."

Yea, if it starts falling to pieces, and some of the extremes go to getting proceed on the wrong assumptions we could deteriorate pretty all right.

Edited by William Kelly

Quote from above posting: “...Sidney Goldberg, an editor for the North American Newspaper Alliance (NANA) who worked closely with Ian Fleming and possibly edited Priscilla Johnson's article on her interview with Oswald in Moscow.”

When my first book, “The Hundred Million Dollar Payoff,” was published in 1974, I was asked to appear on The Today Show. Immediately after my appearance I was contacted by Sid Goldberg, who asked that I meet with him and his wife, Lucianne Goldberg, the literary agent. Lucianne later became famous in 1997 for her key role is exposing President Clinton’s Oval Office affair with Monica Lewinsky.

At the meeting Sid asked that I write a 5-part series based on my book to be syndicated by NANA, which I did.

Lucianne was interested in what I knew about Watergate because she had worked clandestinely for the GOP Nixon campaign in her role as a reporter on the press plane that accompanied the Democratic presidential candidate around the country.

In 1984 at my request Lucianne traveled to Amarillo, Texas to meet with Billie Sol Estes to explore the possibility that she as a literary agent would represent Estes in his proposed book. It was Estes’ fault and not Lucianne’s that the book did not come to fruition at that time.

The Goldberg’s have son, Jonah, who is today a syndicated newspaper columnist.

Lucianne manages http://www.lucianne.com/

Quote from above posting: “...Sidney Goldberg, an editor for the North American Newspaper Alliance (NANA) who worked closely with Ian Fleming and possibly edited Priscilla Johnson's article on her interview with Oswald in Moscow.”

When my first book, “The Hundred Million Dollar Payoff,” was published in 1974, I was asked to appear on The Today Show. Immediately after my appearance I was contacted by Sid Goldberg, who asked that I meet with him and his wife, Lucianne Goldberg, the literary agent. Lucianne later became famous in 1997 for her key role is exposing President Clinton’s Oval Office affair with Monica Lewinsky.

At the meeting Sid asked that I write a 5-part series based on my book to be syndicated by NANA, which I did.

Lucianne was interested in what I knew about Watergate because she had worked clandestinely for the GOP Nixon campaign in her role as a reporter on the press plane that accompanied the Democratic presidential candidate around the country.

In 1984 at my request Lucianne traveled to Amarillo, Texas to meet with Billie Sol Estes to explore the possibility that she as a literary agent would represent Estes in his proposed book. It was Estes’ fault and not Lucianne’s that the book did not come to fruition at that time.

The Goldberg’s have son, Jonah, who is today a syndicated newspaper columnist.

Lucianne manages http://www.lucianne.com/

Thanks, DC, I did talk to Sid Goldberg on the phone one afternoon, primarily about his association with Ian Fleming at NANA. She became more famous than him after the affair d'Clinton.

Edited by William Kelly

Then Pat Speer suggested that Alfred Goldberg at the Pentagon is a brother to Arthur J. Goldberg, the Supreme Court justice and UN Ambassador, who also served in the OSS during World War II.

I don't know where I got the idea that they were brothers, but after you questioned it in the thread in which I mentioned it, I did some quick research and debunked it myself. Arthur Goldberg was the youngest of eight children. He was born in 1908, as I recall. Alfred Goldberg is, I believe, still alive. In such case he would have to be well over 100. It follows then that they're not brothers.

They could be related in some other way, of course.

I tend to agree that Abraham Isaac Goldberg is more than likely still with us...

Nevertheless, there are some interesting factoids about the Goldberg surname, and its place in American History.....first off I want to be very clear that I completely and utterly despise the people

who hate Jewish persons....So I am posting this for informational purposes only.....

That whole ilk of so called American's who hate Jewish persons, African-American's, Italians, Catholics

et cetera, have a great deal of responsibility for the degeneration of our culture, and which promotes hate and division.....I do not subscribe to the belief that any group, which can be summed up in a single word, surname, or organization "Killed Kennedy" Enough Said.....

Continuing

You definitely need to be aware of Warren Commission Document 1399, A. I. Goldberg was knee deep in Oswald's arrival in the Soviet Union, along with Priscilla McMillan. See link

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=11794&relPageId=2

Pardon moi.....but here are some excerpts....

July 31 1964 A.I Goldberg Correspondent Associated press (APB 50 Rockefeller Center New York New York) was contacted by Special Agents of the Federal bureau of Investigation in an effort to determine

Lee Harvey Oswald Oswald replied that he did not know the language but that he could learn and that he would "make out" Goldberg stated that Oswald did not want to have his picture taken....

....explained that AP usually monitors all foreign language broadcasts Goldberg stated that he did not know a Lev Setyaev associated with the North American section of Radio Moscow.

I would keep in mind PD Scotts' "negative template" regarding that last sentence...but that's just me....

more...

GOLDBERG, ABRAHAM ISAAC

Sources: WC Vol 26, p. 99; CE 2719; CD 1399; CIA 624-823

Mary's

Comments: Associated Press correspondent in Moscow. Interviewed LHO Oct 1959. By 1964, he is with AP at United Nations, New York.

Robert: This JFK document below when you go inside reveals nothing but the words of the person cited

1993.08.05.14:17:54:750006

FILE CARD - ABRAHAM ISAAC GOLDBERG

Times-Picayune, The (New Orleans, LA) - July 10, 1997

Deceased Name: ABRAHAM GOLDBERG , QUARTER CLOTHIER, DIES

Abraham Jacob Goldberg, whose Decatur Street store was the source of clothing for generations of New Orleans men and boys, died Wednesday at Touro Infirmary. He was 95.

Mr. Goldberg was born in Poland and lived in New Orleans for the past 75 years.

For years, Mr. Goldberg was one of many merchants who made a living in the French Quarter. With his father and brothers, he operated I. Goldberg & Sons on Decatur Street, serving workers on the riverfront and in breweries and other industries in the Quarter.

Mr. Goldberg's father, Isaac, came to New Orleans from Poland in 1910. In 1920, Isaac Goldberg brought his wife and three children to America. In 1922, he opened his first clothing store in New Orleans at 1119 Decatur.

When an Army surplus store at 925 Decatur closed down, the Goldberg family moved their store there, living in spartan quarters on the second floor for a while. In 1927, Mr. Goldberg joined his father and brother, Israel, working in the shop, which was kept open seven days a week to build up the business.

In later years, as the character of the French Quarter changed, the store's stock of men's work clothes decreased as T-shirts and other items geared to the tourist trade came to predominate. Mr. Goldberg retired in the early 1980s; his brother kept the store open for another 10 years.

Mr. Goldberg was gabbai emeritus of Congregation Beth Israel and a member of B'nai B'rith and the Jewish Community Center.

Survivors include a son, Myron S. Goldberg; a daughter, Shirley Ruth Goldberg Hecklin of Philadelphia; a brother, Israel Goldberg; a sister, Rae G. Smolensky; and four grandchildren.

A graveside service will be held today at 2 p.m. at Beth Israel Cemetery, 4321 Frenchmen St. Tharp-Sontheimer-Tharp Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

END

Cape Cod Times (Hyannis, MA) - April 11, 2004

Deceased Name: Emanuel Goldberg , journalist and activist, dies

HARWICH - Emanuel Goldberg, a decorated World War II veteran, journalist and dedicated civil rights activist, died Friday at the Cranberry Pointe Rehabilitation Center. He was 83.

From 1986 to 2001, Goldberg, who lived in Harwich and later moved to West Barnstable, was a columnist for the Cape Cod Times.

One of his most popular offerings each year was his New Year's column containing predictions on coming events, as well as a look back at his forecast record for the past year.

"He always poked fun at himself," recalled his son, film director Daniel Adams, who also lives in West Barnstable.

"People took great interest in his prognostications and on his hits and misses," remembered former Cape Cod Times Editor William Breisky. "His predictions column is probably his best remembered."

Goldberg was known to many colleagues and friends as Manny.

"I remember many, many times Manny coming into the newsroom with a great smile. I remember him as consistently positive, warm and buoyant," he said.

Goldberg was born in Lynn, graduated from Boston University and earned a master's in journalism from the University of Wisconsin. He also did work on a doctorate in government at Harvard University.

During World War II, Goldberg served as a captain in the Army in the China-Burma-India theater, and was awarded the Bronze Star for bravery and the Purple Heart.

He was also the last editor-in-chief and business manager of the Stars and Stripes Magazine, and served as the chief press censor for the CBI theater of the war.

Following the war, he worked as a Washington correspondent for Newsweek covering the White House and the House Committee on Un-American Activities. He later worked as speechwriter, along with the late Elliot Richardson, for then-presidential candidate Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Massachusetts Gov. Christian A. Herter asked Goldberg to be his press secretary, a post he held from 1952 to 1956 during Herter's two terms in office.

He was Boston University's news director from 1956 to 1964, and from 1964 to 1969 was dean of planning and development at Brandeis University.

From 1969 until his retirement in 1985, he was president of the Arthur Monks Associates public relations firm in Boston, during which time he personally worked on the opening of the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library. He was also a lecturer at Boston University's College of Communication from 1969 through 1987.

In 1972, President Nixon asked him to serve as Undersecretary of Health, Education and Welfare. Goldberg declined.

"My dad thought he didn't want to work for someone like that. One of his biggest themes in life was integrity in government," Adams said.

Although a lifelong Republican, Adams said his father always referred to himself as a "Lincoln Republican."

A strong advocate of civil rights, Goldberg served on the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination in the 1950s, and chaired the Boston Mayor's Committee for Civic Unity during the civil unrest in the 1960s.

He organized the Rev. Martin Luther King's first official visit to Boston during that time, and received death threats at his home, his son recalled.

Goldberg also became the first white member of the Boston chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

During his other careers after the war, he regularly produced articles, columns and book reviews for various publications, including the Cape Cod Times.

He also served on a number of boards of trustees for various organizations.

In 1985, Goldberg received the Distinguished Alumni Award from Boston University, and his professional papers were acquired by the university's Mugar Library, along with those of King and Dan Rather, for its contemporary history collection.

Goldberg is survived by his wife, Paula M. Goldberg; a son, Daniel R. Adams; and three grandchildren. He was also the father of the late Betsy Rae Waldron.

A funeral service will be held at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne, followed by burial at the cemetery.

more

San Jose Mercury News (CA) - January 23, 1990

Deceased Name: FORMER JUSTICE ARTHUR J. GOLDBERG IS BURIED NEAR GRAVE OF EARL WARREN

With the late-afternoon sun casting long shadows at Arlington National Cemetery, former Justice Arthur J. Goldberg was buried Monday beside his wife and near the grave of Chief Justice Earl Warren, under whom he served on the Supreme Court.

Retired Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and six of the eight associate justices were among mourners at private Jewish services in the Fort Myer Memorial Chapel, but did not go to the grave site.

Lt. Cmdr. Eric S. Renne, an Air Force chaplain, presented the flag from the casket to Justice Goldberg's son, Robert Goldberg of Anchorage, Alaska. By Robert Goldberg's side was his sister, Barbara Goldberg Cramer of Chicago.

Justice Goldberg's wife, Dorothy, died in February 1988. Their grave site lies between that of Warren and that of Secretary of State John Foster Dulles in a hilltop area of the cemetery across the Potomac River from Washington.

Justice Goldberg and his wife were entitled to burial in Arlington because of his service as an Air Force colonel.

Rabbi Stanley Rabinowitz conducted the graveside service, an Air Force firing party fired three volleys and Air Force Staff Sgt. Joel C. Guyton played taps. Justices John Paul Stevens and Anthony Kennedy did not attend. Retired Justice Lewis F. Powell Jr. was also absent. Powell and Burger are the only surviving retired members of the court.

Justice Goldberg, who served on the high court from 1962 until his resignation in 1965 to become U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, died of coronary artery disease Friday at his home in Washington. He was 81.

He came to Washington as President John F. Kennedy's first secretary of labor in 1961 after a career as a union lawyer.

Kennedy named him to the Supreme Court on the retirement of the ailing Justice Felix Frankfurter.

He left the court when President Johnson persuaded him to accept the United Nations post left vacant by the death of Adlai E. Stevenson. Johnson appointed Abe Fortas to succeed him on the court.

Mr. Goldberg resigned from the U.N. position in 1968, and was the unsuccessful Democratic nominee for governor of New York against incumbent Republican Nelson Rockefeller in 1970.

He practiced law in Washington and served on public commissions and as an arbitrator until shortly before his death.

end

San Francisco Chronicle (CA) - February 13, 1995

Deceased Name: Irving L. Goldberg

Judge Irving L. Goldberg, a friend and adviser to President Lyndon B. Johnson and one of the federal judiciary's strongest links to the civil rights era, died Saturday at his home in Dallas.

He was 88 and died of complications of a long-standing neurological disorder, family members said.

Johnson appointed him to the 5th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in New Orleans in 1966.

Judge Goldberg remained there until his death. In nearly 29 years on the appellate court, he ruled on issues ranging from school desegregation to Cold War- era loyalty oaths and public school financing.

Judge Goldberg was born June 29, 1906, in Port Arthur, Texas. He graduated from the University of Texas and, before his 23rd birthday, from Harvard Law School.

He first met Johnson, a friend of his wife's uncle, in the early 1930s. A decade later, during World War II, Johnson, by then a congressman, got Judge Goldberg, who was working as an officer in the Navy, assigned to the staff of the House Committee on Naval Affairs.

In 1950, Judge Goldberg was one of the founders of the law firm now known as Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld. One of his partners was Robert S. Strauss, later chairman of the Democratic National Committee and an ambassador to Russia.

While practicing law, Judge Goldberg was active in several civil rights and Jewish organizations.

On Nov. 22, 1963, a few hours after the assassination of President Kennedy, when Johnson sought an explanation of the laws of succession, he called Judge Goldberg at his home.

He is survived by two daughters, Nancy Todes and Julie Lowenberg; and five grandchildren.

more....

Evening Tribune (San Diego, CA) - January 20, 1990

Deceased Name: Arthur Goldberg , former justice, remembered as 'a man of dignity'

WASHINGTON (UPI) -- The death of Arthur Joseph Goldberg, whose resignation from the Supreme Court 25 years ago can be seen as the beginning of the court's shift to the right, was mourned today as a "grievous loss to the nation."

Goldberg, the former Kennedy administration labor secretary and onetime U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, was found dead in his Washington apartment yesterday afternoon. He was 81.

Goldberg, who built a legal and political career around labor law, had been reported ill and canceled plans to come to a celebration at the Supreme Court on Tuesday to mark the bicentennial of the high court's first session in 1790.

Justice William Brennan, who served on the bench with Goldberg and was a close friend, called Goldberg's death "a grievous loss" to the nation.

"He was very human, a man of dignity and courtly bearing, punctilious, courteous, cultivated, a superb host," Brennan said, adding, "It is a mistake to suppose that such traits describe a stuffy man. ... He was a delightful, stimulating companion." Retired Chief Justice Warren Burger said he had been "warm friends" with Goldberg for nearly 40 years and praised his long career. "As a justice of the Supreme Court, he was a balanced and thoughtful jurist," Burger said.

Goldberg was named to the court by President John Kennedy in 1962, moving from his post as head of the Labor Department to replace Justice Felix Frankfurter.

While Goldberg sat on the high court for just three years, he regarded it as the high point of a long and active career. Despite Goldberg's short tenure, his appointment brought historic change to the court, then headed by Chief Justice Earl Warren. Goldberg was the crucial fifth vote to solidify a liberal majority on the court that led to a virtual revolution in constitutional law. He stepped down in 1965 when President Lyndon Johnson asked him to become ambassador to the United Nations -- a move in which he gave up a lifetime appointment to the nation's most prestigious legal position in exchange for a transient foreign policy assignment. Just as his presence solidified the liberal majority, Goldberg's departure was one link in a chain of events that led to the eventual appointment of Burger as chief justice and the shift of the court to the right -- a quarter-century transition that has continued to the present day.

Goldberg was born Aug. 8, 1908, in Chicago, the son of Russian Jewish immigrants. He grew up on Chicago's West Side, worked his way through college and earned a law degree from Northwestern University. He set up a private law practice in Chicago and began working with labor unions.

During World War II, Goldberg worked with the Office of Strategic Services, forerunner of the CIA, and set up a network of labor activists in occupied countries that spied on the Nazis.

Returning from the war, he worked as counsel for several labor unions. Two leading labor leaders -- John L. Lewis of the United Mine Workers and Philip Murray, president of the Congress of Industrial Organizations -- took a liking to Goldberg. The young lawyer played a major role in bringing the American Federation of Labor and the CIO together in a merged organization.

Goldberg also was instrumental in convincing labor leaders to endorse Kennedy's run for the presidency, and Kennedy named him secretary of labor in 1960.

more....

Dallas Morning News, The (TX) - February 15, 1988

Deceased Name: DOROTHY K. GOLDBERG , ARTIST AND AUTHOR, DIES

NEW YORK -- Artist and author Dorothy Kurgans Goldberg, wife of former Supreme Court Justice Arthur J. Goldberg, has died at the age of 79.

Mrs. Goldberg died of lung cancer Saturday at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, said hospital spokeswoman Ellen Watson. The couple lived in Washington.

Mrs. Goldberg was well-known as an artist and a writer.

Her feminist novel The Creative Woman was published in 1963. She also wrote A Private View of a Public Life and a story for children, Lola and the Moving Stairs. She recently completed the manuscript of a fourth book, about international negotiations on human rights.

A painter for most of her life, Mrs. Goldberg had her work exhibited in several one-person shows. In the late 1940s she helped found the Associated Artists Gallery in Washington.

In 1977-78 she served as a U.S. delegate to the Belgrade Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, which reviewed the Helsinki human rights accords.

She was born in St. Louis and graduated from the University of Chicago in 1932, the year after she married Goldberg.

Goldberg served on the Supreme Court from 1962 to 1965, when he became U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

In addition to her husband, Mrs. Goldberg is survived by a son and a daughter.

might want to see this

http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/goldman-gomulka.html

it always includes a trip back to Cook county

Birth: 1876

Greater London, England

Death: Jan. 12, 1957

Chicago

Cook County

Illinois, USA

Abraham Goldberg was the father of Harry, Charles, Lenny and Ruth. He was of Russian decent born in England. Came to USA in 1904 on the New York left from Southampton England.

Burial:

Woodlawn Cemetery

Forest Park

Cook County

Illinois, USA

Plot: Section Violet Block 9 Lot 9

Created by: corey glick

Record added: Sep 05, 2001

Find A Grave Memorial# 5738904

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Goldberg&GSfn=A+&GSmn=I&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=5738904&df=all&