The Education Forum

Steven Hager on What Happened to JFK

Doug, that's a good short and sweet video. Under 4:00, you can't beat that for the modern attention-span. One minor thing that Hager repeats bugs me, if only because it's in a lot of the research on the subject -- that Cord Meyer (surely in on JFKA) was "Mary (Pinchot Meyer)'s HUSBAND." NOT when MPM was trysting at the White House. Cord and Mary divorced in 1958, had been separated a while before that. Their marriage was effectively over when their son was run over by a truck on the little highway in front of their house in 1956. And MPM and JFK probably weren't having their affair until well into 1962. Not that I think this is important in the big picture. But I have seen this detail bother newbies. And it really bothers me because, by comparison, LBJ was such a sadist, took more pleasure in humiliating his best "friends" by seducing their wives than he did in the s-e-x.

Also, this bothers me: the oft-repeated canard that Joe Sr.'s bootlegging (actually importation of quality gin and scotch from Canada and Ireland) was the source of most of his wealth. But that's a long story to get into.

Also, that the Mob stole the election for Jack. There was vote-tampering on both sides in Illinois and Texas. Anyway, the tie goes to the runner, right? As noted in Farewell America by the pseudonymous James Hepburn, Kennedy in 1960 ran the most scientific campaign ever seen. Caught everyone flat-footed.

Guess I'll have to send Mr. Hager a comment, though I will probably enjoy his book. A lot of big ideas there by the sound of it. Thanks for the heads-up. We might not have seen that it's coming out otherwise.

Edited by Roy Wieselquist

Roy:

One person whom Howard Hunt criticized on more than one occasion to me was Cord Meyer, although I never asked him why he felt this way.

As to Joseph Kennedy's rise to wealth, there is this from an article by Peter Dale Scott:

Hoover eventually collected information on all those with political influence, from members of Congress to the very wealthy; and he retained personal control over this information in his files to protect his position. For example he reportedly had 343 closely held case files on the business activities of Joseph P. Kennedy, starting with the bootlegging years

and including coverage of several illegal – treasonous, even – transactions brought off while Kennedy was Ambassador to

Court of Saint James.

[source cited by Scott: Burton Hersh’s book, Bobby and J. Edgar, p 15.]

https://libya360.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/natoamericas-unchecked-security-state-parts-i-ii/

Edited by Douglas Caddy

As to Joseph Kennedy's rise to wealth, there is this from an article by Peter Dale Scott:

Hoover eventually collected information on all those with political influence, from members of Congress to the very wealthy; and he retained personal control over this information in his files to protect his position. For example he reportedly had 343 closely held case files on the business activities of Joseph P. Kennedy, starting with the bootlegging years

and including coverage of several illegal treasonous, even transactions brought off while Kennedy was Ambassador to

Court of Saint James.

[source cited by Scott: Burton Hershs book, Bobby and J. Edgar, p 15.]

Douglas,

Were these alleged files actually seen by Hersh or whoever his source was?

Three questions immediately come to mind:

1. Were these files used to blackmail Bobby into silence re JFK's assassination?

2. Do they still exist and if so who has them?

3. Are they still being used to keep the Kennedy's more or less quiet?

Tom

FWIW, In 2012, author David Nasaw came out with The Patriarch, a book on Joseph Kennedy in which he tried to answer the bootlegger rumors once and for all. As I recall he found that there was an import company in Canada bearing the name of Joseph Kennedy but it was a different Joseph Kennedy, and that THE Joseph Kennedy had no connection to the bootlegging industry. He obtained his wealth from Wall Street, real estate and the movies.