The Education Forum

How does one recover an auto-saved post?

Soon after I joined the forum, my browser crashed and I was happy to see that what I had written was still present when I tried again to post something.

Since then I have had no such luck. Even though I see a status line stating that my post is being auto-saved, my browser has crashed a couple times and when I return to the same topic, the auto-saved text does not automatically appear as it seemed to the first time.

Does anybody know how to access auto-saved posts?

Sandy,

You might want to just type all of your post replies or threads in either a Word doc, a Google Drive doc, or Notepad. That way you can type, go away, come back and it's still there. Then when ready, just copy and paste into the EF post box.

I'm not a fan of the multi-quote function in this forum, especially if there's a long-winded thread that you want to reply to. The reader then has to read this long-winded reply all over again until they get to the new reply. I try to just copy a snippet of what I'm replying to, make it bold, then type my reply under it. Some people put their replies into the multi quote which is also a nice way to do it.

Of course everyone has their way of doing it, but the key here is it might save you a lot of grief if you just type locally and save there and then post.

Michael,

I have tried replying using a text editor (like Notepad). I didn't care for it because you can't do any formatting. I'll have to try Microsoft Word and see how well the formatting is preserved when copying back to the form editor box.

I don't know why, but I just prefer to use the forum editor. But it should provide a way to save your work so you can walk away and resume writing later.

If there is text that was saved you will get a prompt at the bottom left corner of the dialog box.

Not sure if you have to turn auto save on and its duration...

David,

Do you mean that, if my browser crashes, I go back to the forum topic I was writing in, go to editor dialog on the last page, and there will be something at the bottom left corner of the dialog saying that I can restore what had been auto saved?

Edited by Sandy Larsen

The other day my six-year-old daughter decided to test David Joseph's answer to my question. She pitched her little "Dora" tent up against my computer, and it shut the power down right in the middle of my writing a post.

After powering back up, I went to the reply box on the last page of the thread I'd been writing in. And sure enough, right there in the lower-left corner of the window -- the same place where auto-save notifications are located, was a notification stating that the saved document was available.

I don't know why I didn't see it the last time I lost a post. Hopefully it wasn't because sometimes the auto-save function fails to work.