The Education Forum

Landis disavows the SBT, lies that he didn't drink, and Mike Howard tells tall tales, too

Secret Service agent Paul Landis:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/11/shaker_heights_man_guarding_jfk_witnes.html

"He sounds almost proud of not having read the Warren Report, and said they got it right about no conspiracy and that Oswald as the lone actor, but blew it with the single-bullet theory. That theory holds that a single shot struck the President and also wounded Governor John Connally. And "I was never interviewed by the Warren Commission and still don't understand why," he said Saturday.

Asked about allegations that agents drank heavily the night before in Fort Worth, this witness said he didn't see it.

"I had a coke," he said, and there were Blue Laws in place that severely restricted the sale of liquor.

The quarry the night before the assassination was food that was not readily available "and at no time was I impaired."

FOR THE TRUTH:

https://vincepalamara.com/2012/04/19/a-slight-correction-and-another-look-at-paul-landis-and-the-drinking-incident-by-joe-backes/

Secret Service agent Mike Howard:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-reston-jfk-assassination-target-20161122-story.html

"In the hours after the Kennedy assassination, after Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed Dallas Police Officer J.D. Tippit and was identified as the president’s assassin, a Secret Service officer named Mike Howard was dispatched to Oswald’s apartment. Howard found a little green address book, and on its 17th page under the heading “I WILL KILL” Oswald listed four men: an FBI agent named James Hosty; a right-wing general, Edwin Walker; and Vice President Richard Nixon. At the top of the list was the governor of Texas, John Connally. Through Connally’s name, Oswald had drawn a dagger, with blood drops dripping downward.

Special Agent Howard turned the address book over to the FBI and, ultimately, to the Warren Commission. Only some time later did he learn that the list with its hugely important insight into the killer’s motive had been torn out of the book."

Thank you for this info, Vince.  Just my two cents worth - and I know this is not really related to the post - but I've never believed that the SS were in on the planning of JFK's murder.  I think the real planners would have found it way too risky to try to involve the agents guarding Kennedy that day, as it would have only taken one to grow a conscious and spill the beans, revealing the plot.

Do I think they could have been more diligent on 11/22?  Yes, but I also like to keep in mind the way things were done back then.  I think there was an innocence back then that nobody would mow down the president in such a public way in broad daylight.

I think the real cover up, though, by the SS started the minute he was pronounced dead and I think this cover up was more of a COA type cover up.

Thanks, Michael. I actually agree- the Secret Service, as an agency/ institution, was not involved...I suspect only 3-5 at most were privy to the assassination and let it happen via ACTION THRU INACTION. No pulling of triggers or planning---3 made it happen or let it happen, while a couple others were instrumental in the cover-up.

I discuss Mike Howard in chapter 4 at patspeer.com. He is a serial braggart and prevaricator, IMO. He was even caught in one of his fibs by the FBI.

A 2-9-64 article in the Fort Worth Star Telegram gives us even greater reason to suspect (Charles) Givens had deliberately changed his story. According to the article, written by Thayer Waldo, a Secret Service agent had boasted that a negro witness, who "had been arrested in the past by the Special Services office of the Dallas Police for gambling" had come forward, and had claimed to have seen Oswald actually fire the shots that killed Kennedy. According to Waldo, who claimed to have sat in on a conversation between this agent and another man, the agent said "Wait till that old black boy gets up in front of the Warren Commission and tells his story. That will settle everything. Yes, sir. He was right there on the same floor, looking out the next window; and, after the first shot, he looked and saw Oswald, and then he ran. I saw him in the Dallas Police station. He was still the scaredest n I ever seen. I heard him tell the officer, 'Man you don't know how fast fast is, because you didn't see me run that day.' He said he ran and hid behind the boxes because he was afraid that Oswald would shoot him." As Givens was the only school book depository employee with a notable police record, and was also one of the very few to have seen Oswald in the hour before the shooting, the "negro witness" described in the article is most certainly Givens.

Since Givens never signed a statement or offered testimony describing these events, however, it suggests that either Givens had lied to the police, the agent was lying to Waldo, or that Waldo himself had embellished his story. Perhaps the agent, who Waldo would later reveal to be Mike Howard, had merely indicated that Givens' story was damaging to Oswald, and Waldo had filled in the blanks. 

On 2-13-64 the FBI looked into this story. They contacted Jack Revill, a Lieutenant in the Dallas PD's Special Service Bureau. Revill told them the man described in the article was most logically Charles Givens. Revill told them that Givens had a history of drug use and “would change his story for money”. Revill told them, furthermore, that although he thought the character in the story was Givens, "that when Givens was interviewed immediately after the assassination, he stated he was not in the building at the time of the assassination." The FBI report then recounts Givens' earlier story that he came down for lunch around 11:30, and that, as he came down, he heard Oswald yell out and ask to have the elevator sent back up. (CD735, p295-296).

Months later, after Waldo's story was dredged up by Mark Lane as an indication the Secret Service had been planting false stories in the press, the FBI re-investigated. On May 28, 1964, the FBI wrote a report after talking with agent Mike Howard. (25H844-845). While Howard admitted that he and his brother, Deputy Sheriff Pat Howard, had had a conversation with Waldo, he claimed they did not know he was a reporter, and that they'd never discussed a negro witness to the shooting. On this same day Waldo signed a sworn statement backing his published version of the story. (25H846-848). A few days later, the Bureau contacted Pat Howard, and he admitted that he and his brother had told Waldo about a negro employee with a criminal record who had fled the building after the shots, for fear he would be implicated. (25H849-850) This is clearly a reference to Givens. If the Howards were telling the truth, and they just mentioned Givens because they thought his flight was an "amusing incident," it seems an incredible coincidence that Givens would shortly thereafter change his story and help the Warren Commission put the rifle in Oswald's hand.

Hey, Vince, while looking through the article on Landis, I noticed that Connally rode on the left side of the limo in San Antonio on 11-21-63. Was it standard for a Governor to sit on the same side as JFK, or did Connally switch it up on 11-22-63 (presumably to protect Nellie)?

Let's put it this way---it was definitely NOT the norm. This is based on years of photo analysis and just plain ole viewing. I couldn't swear it was the only time (of course), but definitely unusual.