The Education Forum

Online Seminars: Plenary Session

John Simkin

I would like to thank all those people who have participated in these seminars. I want to make it clear that these seminars will remain open. One of the major objectives of the exercise was to make it easier to accumulate knowledge that we have on key aspects of research in a place where it can easily be found by researchers. Therefore, in future, if you have any important information on these topics, I hope you will post them on the existing threads. In this way, if students want to find out about the evidence that we have on say, the role of Lyndon Johnson, Billie Sol Estes, Mac Wallace, Jack Ruby, Mitchell Livingston WerBell III, Charles Harrelson, Florence Smith, etc. in the assassination, they have one place where they can find it. The same goes for issues like Familiar Faces in Dealey Plaza, the Zapruder Film, Christian Defense League, Autopsy Photographs, Ballistics, Shot trajectory and Ideal Shot Origin, etc.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=197

My main objective of the seminars was to encourage researchers to develop a more academic approach to the subject. On the whole, the leaders of the threads have done this. My main concern is over the shortage of academic responses to these postings. However, these threads will remain open and maybe this will come later.

I am interested in your thoughts on these seminars. I am particularly interested in ways that the event can be improved.

I hope to launch another set of seminars in the future. Please let me know if you have papers you would like to present next time.

John, the seminars encourage people to compile more information than they normally would, I for instance would not have compiled nearly as much evidence on Harrelson had I not agreed to take part in the seminars, it also gives people a medium to write their own articles as some don't have access to a journal in which they can publish their work. It is a lot more motivational than just researching alone.

Many thanks for setting them up.

This seems to be good place to mention that I for one, have been enjoying the Seminar. I would also like to see more of this in the future.

Several years ago, when the Third/Fourth Decade Publication was still being published, we were offered a Manuscript type Folder of the participants speechs from an actual Seminar. I ordered this Folder, and I believe I paid somewhere around $10.00 for it. I really enjoyed reading the speeches. I also still have this folder in my collection!

I have printed out all of these Seminar threads, so I can read them at my leisure. I have not finished reading them all yet. For some reason I seem to prefer paper printouts then I do, trying to read on a CD, which I also could have done. Although, I might still do this too. I would like to mention that I have enjoyed reading all that I have up to this point. I haven't made comment on any of the Seminars, except for one, which did bother me a great deal, or at least enough to speak out.

I do wish to thank everyone that contributed to the Seminar. Some things I was already aware of, even if maybe only vaguely and of some iI was new info to me. I just feel it was great for those who did take time to contribute and to add to our knowledge.

I also noticed there was discussion in the threads having different opinions then the Presenter. Much research requires looking at different viewpoints and we must always weigh info in order to come to our own conclusions of what is most probable, or I should say most factual.

I am quite a skeptic of sudden new info that involves things like Confessions for example and I am inclined to speak out against them. It just bothers me a lot to have such things thrown in the way of real research and findings. It also bothers me that these things are being promoted as truth to new researchers or to students. In addition, quite often when some of us do challenge certain claims that we beieve to be bogus, we are accused of attacking the person. This may or may not be true, but it is awfully hard to just let these claims go by without comment. However, I also feel it is quite often, just a way of getting out of having to respond. I do reaize it can get out of hand though.

Again, thanks to everyone who did contribute to the Seminar as well as to those who contribued to the thread discussions.

As for being a future Seminar Presenter, I may decide to do that if I feel that I can hit on one specific subject of interest.

Sincerely

Dixie

This seems to be good place to mention that I for one, have been enjoying the Seminar. I would also like to see more of this in the future.

Several years ago, when the Third/Fourth Decade Publication was still being published, we were offered a Manuscript type Folder of the participants speechs from an actual Seminar. I ordered this Folder, and I believe I paid somewhere around $10.00 for it. I really enjoyed reading the speeches. I also still have this folder in my collection!

I have printed out all of these Seminar threads, so I can read them at my leisure. I have not finished reading them all yet. For some reason I seem to prefer paper printouts then I do, trying to read on a CD, which I also could have done. Although, I might still do this too. I would like to mention that I have enjoyed reading all that I have up to this point. I haven't made comment on any of the Seminars, except for one, which did bother me a great deal, or at least enough to speak out.

I do wish to thank everyone that contributed to the Seminar. Some things I was already aware of, even if maybe only vaguely and of some iI was new info to me.  I just feel it was great for those who did take time to contribute and to add to our knowledge.

I also noticed there was discussion in the threads having different opinions then the Presenter.  Much research requires looking at different viewpoints and we must always weigh info in order to come to our own conclusions of what is most probable, or I should say most factual.

I am quite a skeptic of sudden new info that involves things like Confessions for example and I am inclined to speak out against them. It just bothers me a lot to have such things thrown in the way of real research and findings. It also bothers me that these things are being promoted as truth to new researchers or to students. In addition, quite often when some of us do challenge certain claims that we beieve to be bogus,  we are accused of attacking the person. This may or may not be true, but it is awfully hard to just let these claims go by without comment. However, I also feel it is quite often, just a way of getting out of having to respond. I do reaize it can get out of hand though.

Again, thanks to everyone who did contribute to the Seminar as well as to those who contribued to the thread discussions.

As for being a future Seminar Presenter, I may decide to do that if I feel that I can hit on one specific subject of interest.     

Sincerely

Dixie

____________________________--

John:

I agree with much of what Dixie has written. Fist and foremost I wish to thank each author for the work that has gone into each presentation. I too have printed off several, as I want to read, and re-read, at my liesure, making notes to self, underlining and the like.

(And it is this to which I was referring when I said I agree with Dixie, not the part about "new confession" stuff, as I am not sure to whom she is referring. Not Tosh I hope, I loved his paper, and look forward to more).

For those of us who work a fulltime job, trying to read all of the papers has proven to be too much in one week, so I have read somewhat selectively, thus far.

I think you will receive additional feedback in the upcoming weeks from others who will read futher as time permits.

The level of scholarship on this forum continues to impress and inspire me!!!.

Many thanks to all for the magnitude of their contribution, and to John for providing this forum.

Dawn

Thank you for providing this public online seminar, Mr. Simkin. I must say that you have done a fine job of laying the ground rules and letting other researchers discourse about their theories.

The only question I have, which I don't think was answered (if it was, I dunno), is: Will these seminars be annual or is this a one-shot deal?

If they are annual, I would like to present information in the next seminar that I have received from a medium who claims to channel the spirit of Lee Harvey Oswald (and also puts out some okay music she claims is from the spirits of John Lennon and George Harrison). I have checked her accuracy and she has been accurate before. Things she says my late grandmother said sound like what she would say. Plus, she predicted the deaths of US Senators John Chafee and Paul Wellstone before they happened (Wellstone's plane crash in 2002 is more notable).

The paper I am planning to submit should there be another seminar would also include parts of my own assassination theory. I will argue for these theories with proven evidence that holds water.

That is all I have to say, if there is another seminar and that is a qualifier for my inclusion in it.

G

I do wish to thank everyone that contributed to the Seminar. Some things I was already aware of, even if maybe only vaguely and of some iI was new info to me.  I just feel it was great for those who did take time to contribute and to add to our knowledge.

I also noticed there was discussion in the threads having different opinions then the Presenter.  Much research requires looking at different viewpoints and we must always weigh info in order to come to our own conclusions of what is most probable, or I should say most factual.

I am quite a skeptic of sudden new info that involves things like Confessions for example and I am inclined to speak out against them. It just bothers me a lot to have such things thrown in the way of real research and findings. It also bothers me that these things are being promoted as truth to new researchers or to students. In addition, quite often when some of us do challenge certain claims that we beieve to be bogus,  we are accused of attacking the person. This may or may not be true, but it is awfully hard to just let these claims go by without comment. However, I also feel it is quite often, just a way of getting out of having to respond. I do reaize it can get out of hand though.

Sincerely

Dixie

Dixie wrote:

John, I think this would be a great idea! I, for one, would be more than happy to invest in something such as this. Maybe one of the members with access to a printing or copying facilities, or possibly you or Andy might have access to the means of facilitating a brochure of the contents of the seminar, albeit editing out the more irrelevant comments, and/or remarks that took place. This could be the makings for a small theoretical handbook on the assassination, bearing the name of the Education Forum, which could lend credibility to the work being done by the research community that has, more often than not, been stonewalled by the other commercial media and news venues. It might also help contribute to maintaining the site if a reasonably nominal fee was offered.

This was an exceptionally informative arena that took place here, and in no small way, a tribute of sorts, to John F. Kennedy and all he stood for. It is something to

take pride in, for all the good work that was contributed by so many who cared enough to take the time and effort to put it into words. Thank you, all.

Sincerely,

Terry

John,

Are you familiar with XLIBRIS, the new print-to-order publishing company? They take your digital text, and for less than $900 will put a legitimate cover, artwork and trade-listing package together, then print to order one copy at a time, with no overhead or inventory... I'm sure this collection would break even and have a sustained tangible impact if published in this exciting new format...

Thank you for the opportunity to present my thoughts on the nature of the twenty fifth amendment to the Constitution in relation to the Dallas murders. Due to the theoretical nature of my new "incapacity of the President" hypothesis, I had no footnote references to offer at this time, but in future seminars, I will footnote in the professional style, as the others did so magnificently.

A great, great series of scholarly papers were presented...

I will try and respond to all the comments made on this thread.

John, the seminars encourage people to compile more information than they normally would, I for instance would not have compiled nearly as much evidence on Harrelson had I not agreed to take part in the seminars, it also gives people a medium to write their own articles as some don't have access to a journal in which they can publish their work. It is a lot more motivational than just researching alone.

Yes, I think this is one of the great advantages of this system. Hopefully, it has inspired people to carry out new research into the case. It also has the advantage of allowing people to work in collaboration with others. As a result of feedback from others, the material can be corrected and improved.

I am quite a sceptic of sudden new info that involves things like Confessions for example and I am inclined to speak out against them. It just bothers me a lot to have such things thrown in the way of real research and findings. It also bothers me that these things are being promoted as truth to new researchers or to students. In addition, quite often when some of us do challenge certain claims that we believe to be bogus,  we are accused of attacking the person. This may or may not be true, but it is awfully hard to just let these claims go by without comment. However, I also feel it is quite often, just a way of getting out of having to respond. I do realize it can get out of hand though.

The subject of confessions is always going to be a problem. It always creates the most heated debates. I grew increasingly concerned about the development of Pamela Ray’s online seminar, To Kill A Country. When I got up this morning to read the latest postings I decided that it should be deleted. I took this decision because it was breaking all the rules stated at the beginning of the online seminars and had ceased to be an academic discussion on an aspect of the JFK assassination.

First and foremost I wish to thank each author for the work that has gone into each presentation. I too have printed off several, as I want to read, and re-read, at my leisure, making notes to self, underlining and the like.

For those of us who work a fulltime job, trying to read all of the papers has proven to be too much in one week, so I have read somewhat selectively, thus far.

I think you will receive additional feedback in the upcoming weeks from others  who will read further as time permits.

The level of scholarship on this forum continues to impress and inspire me!!!.

Thank you for your kind words. They are also important. In fact it is comments like these that inspire people to go on and do further research. It is a lonely and time-consuming activity. Psychologically, it is vitally important that you get positive reinforcement for your endeavours.

As I have stated at the beginning, I have been very impressed with the standard of the presentations. However, I have been disappointed with the lack of academic responses to these postings. However, as you point out, there was a lot to read and that these responses are more likely to come later.

The only question I have, which I don't think was answered (if it was, I dunno), is: Will these seminars be annual or is this a one-shot deal?

If they are annual, I would like to present information in the next seminar that I have received from a medium who claims to channel the spirit of Lee Harvey Oswald (and also puts out some okay music she claims is from the spirits of John Lennon and George Harrison). I have checked her accuracy and she has been accurate before. Things she says my late grandmother said sound like what she would say. Plus, she predicted the deaths of US Senators John Chafee and Paul Wellstone before they happened (Wellstone's plane crash in 2002 is more notable).

I hope this will be a regular event. How often depends on the number of people willing to present a paper. It is possible we could have a weekly or monthly seminar. Or they could be like this time, collected together, and presented every three or six months.

I have to say I have problems with your suggestion about a seminar on “a medium who claims to channel the spirit of Lee Harvey Oswald”. The idea of the seminars is to take an academic approach to the assassination. The evidence provided by a medium does not fall into that category. However, you are free to post on this subject in the main part of the JFK forum.

Thank you for the opportunity to present my thoughts on the nature of the  twenty fifth amendment to the Constitution in relation to the Dallas murders.  Due to the theoretical nature of my new "incapacity of the President" hypothesis,  I had no footnote references to offer at this time, but in future seminars, I will footnote in the professional style, as the others did so magnificently. A great, great series of scholarly papers were presented...

I do think use of footnotes in the seminars was an important development and is to be encouraged. Not only does it help other researchers, it is also helps to get the writers into an academic frame of mind. It forces the writer to think in terms of the evidence.

I take your point that some subjects are easier to footnote than others. However, feel free to go back and edit your original posting to add footnotes later.

I have printed out all of these Seminar threads, so I can read them at my leisure. I have not finished reading them all yet. For some reason I seem to prefer paper printouts then I do, trying to read on a CD, which I also could have done.

John,

Are you familiar with XLIBRIS, the new print-to-order publishing company? They take your digital text, and for less than $900 will put a legitimate cover, artwork and trade-listing package together, then print to order one copy at a time,  with no overhead or inventory... I'm sure this collection would break even and have a sustained tangible impact if published in this exciting new format...

I definitely intend to publish in book form some of these threads. I am currently talking to one publisher about this. If this does not work out, I might publish them myself (for many years I was a successful educational publisher). However, I am interested in publishing both the original articles and some of the best responses. As I expect some of the best responses to take time in arriving, I will not be seeking to publish the book for a few months yet.

I believe that what we are doing here is very important. I believe it is a new development in the way books are written. In fact, it is similar to the way open-sourced software is produced. We could be part of a completely new trend in book publishing.

It is also about the most important topic of all: how do we create a truly democratic society? Although we will probably never solve this crime, it is vitally important to expose the way our masters have covered-up what was in essence, a coup d’etat.

I think the words that Edward Kennedy expressed at the funeral of Robert Kennedy are well worth quoting at this point:

My brother need not be idealized, or enlarged in death beyond what he was in life, to be remembered simply as a good decent man, who saw wrong and tried to right it, saw suffering and tried to heal it, saw war and tried to stop it.

Those of us, who loved him and who take him to his rest today pray that what he was to us and what he wished for others will someday come to pass for all the world.

As he said many times, in many parts of this nation, to those he touched and who sought to touch him: "Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not."

I, like several other people, have printed out threads to read and re-read. I've loved them. Even threads like To Kill A Country interested me, though I don't believe the Mr. Files scenario.

I don't have anything to present at this time, but I'd hope to do to other new researchers what people on this board did for me ( even though I've been reading into this for five years, I'm nowhere near as educated as most of you ).

I'm hoping for another set of seminars soon.

Conference Participants and Researchers:

I would like to say thank you to Dr. David Mantik.

We have been a bit overwhelmed by the deluge of conference papers, but

I would sincerely urge all Forum Members to click on the link and read Dr. Mantik's paper "Autopsy Evidence" - if you have not done so already.

This paper answers many of the questions we all have about the autopsy photos, the X-rays and the clothing evidence---Dr. Mantik has thoroughly investigated these items of evidence first hand and has come to some very interesting conclusions about the fatal wounds and how they were 'interpreted' by the forensic authorities, the Warren Commission and the House Committee.

Because Dr. Mantik is not one of our "day-to-day" members, and the paper was on a hot-link, I think many of us may have overlooked "Autopsy Evidence."

This paper (with its link repeated below) is probably the most important paper presented at the conference, in my opinion.

Shanet Clark

QUOTE(David Mantik @ Nov 23 2004, 01:28 PM)

David W. Mantik, M.D., Ph.D.

(Editor's Note: This is an expanded and revised version of a presentation for "Solving the Great American Murder Mystery" Symposium, which was held at Duquesne University 20-23 November 2003. The speaker, who is the leading student of the death of JFK in the world today, has elaborated on the formal paper that he submitted for its appearance in this journal, while preserving the sequence of figures and photographs. The formal paper appears following the informal version as an appendix.)

http://assassinationresearch.com/v2n2/pittsburgh.pdf

Edited by Shanet Clark