The Education Forum

9-11books

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:43 AM, Evan Burton said:

XP? Man, you have to update to at least Win 7.....

I use Windows 7 at work, and my opinion is that it was made unnecessarily complicated in the name of "product progress."  The version of Word (in Office) that goes with it is likewise.

XP, and the Office programs that went with it, were fine products of utilitarian design.  You could find the features you needed in your sleep - I often did, when waking up in the middle of the night.  I did all the editing for my book on that set-up, and I cringe to think about doing another book on Windows 7 and the "improved" Word.

Soon, I'm told, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7.  I shudder at the inconveniences of any of their higher numbers.

If you research online, the banks, the government and the military are still using XP.  Despite all the threats of abandonment, Microsoft just uploaded a new XP security patch to my computer yesterday.  My major worry is that new versions of Firefox and other browsers will stop supporting XP soon, and already I can't view certain HD videos on old, XP-compatible browser versions.

I'm already looking into rumored software that will let me run XP inside Windows 7.  If that setup will be compatible with browsers that access HD video, I'll be all in. 

PS - The Krusch link for 9/11 books still doesn't work, probably because Barry Krusch's website appears to be under reconstruction.

Edited by David Andrews

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/15/2018 at 5:52 AM, David Andrews said:

I'm already looking into rumored software that will let me run XP inside Windows 7.  If that setup will be compatible with browsers that access HD video, I'll be all in. 

Yeah, a VM. There are a number of free apps that will do it for you. I set one up for a mate as he had vital software that would only run under XP.