Jump to content
The Education Forum

Old film short shows JFK planned to use space to defuse Cold War


Recommended Posts

The segment was obviously completed shortly after JFK's death.  I think it's interesting that it notes JFK wanted to use the space race to bring Russia and the US together.  It surprised me that this strategy was common knowledge although he had told the UN previously he hoped we could work together to get to the moon.  It's pretty obvious JFK was trying to end the dangerous and wasteful Cold War and enter into coopetition with an adversary.  A radical idea even today.  And in his time, with a Joint Chiefs pushing for a 'winnable' nuclear war against the communists, it would have to have been seen as lunacy.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that Robert. Unfortunately, War and perpetual antagonism proved too profitable, especially when the promised space race could be had as well.

Allow me to share a document that may be relevant. I think that this may very well have been written by JFK. I see it as a foreign policy primer for his administration, congress, and the states. It also, IMO, reads like a précis for a speech. It's unfathomable that it was withheld for so long. It's classification as Top Secret highlights the perps and their motivations.

The content dates it to the Fall of '63. The cover page dates it to October, '63.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2018/docid-32626310.pdf

Edited by Michael Clark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

Thanks for that Robert. Unfortunately, War and perpetual antagonism proved too profitable, especially when the promised space race could be had as well.

Aloow me to share a document that mat be relevant. I think that this may very well have been written by JFK. I see it as a foreign policy primer for his administration, congress, and the states. It also, IMO, reads like a précis for a speech. It's unfathomable that it was withheld for so long. It's classification as Top Secret highlights the perps and their motivations.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2018/docid-32626310.pdf

Quite a document, Michael. Do you have any background on the context of its creation and purpose? The writing does sound like JFK to me.

Explosive really to anyone who understands how radical these ideas are. I can recall supporting a nuclear freeze initiative in the 80s that was considered radical. Can’t imagine how the security state felt about this in the fall of 1963.

Was this part of the most recent release of docs?  Obviously no national security interest to keep this secret like you say. This was purely to hide JFK‘s intention to end the nuclear arms race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mike Kilroy said:

Quite a document, Michael. Do you have any background on the context of its creation and purpose? The writing does sound like JFK to me.

Explosive really to anyone who understands how radical these ideas are. I can recall supporting a nuclear freeze initiative in the 80s that was considered radical. Can’t imagine how the security state felt about this in the fall of 1963.

Was this part of the most recent release of docs?  Obviously no national security interest to keep this secret like you say. This was purely to hide JFK‘s intention to end the nuclear arms race.

Hi Mike, it was part of the recent release. No provenance. No Author. What you see is all I know. I agree with your assessment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mike Kilroy said:

Helluva find, Michael.

Yes, I am astonished that it has not garnered more interest. It could very well be that it is not new, but is is released in it's latest form, with some redaction removed. One can clearly see the change in fonts, so it may have been further messed with, but I am nearly completely convinced that JFK wrote it. I think that it can be proven by experts that he did write it, if it was written by him. If it was, it is of great historical importance.

Edited by Michael Clark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

Yes, I am astonished that it has not garnered more interest. It could very well be that it is not new, but is is released in it's latest form, with some redaction removed. One can clearly see the change in fonts, so it may have been further messed with, but I am nearly completely convinced that JFK wrote it. I think that it can be proven by experts that he did write it, if it was written by him. If it was, it is of great historical importance.

No doubt. 

Interesting that the title resembles JFK’s title for his American University speech, ‘Toward a Strategy of Peace.’

UPPC0448.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...