The Education Forum

First radio report on Tippit's shooting?

16 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

But it depends on which "shooting" you're referring to. If you mean the Tippit shooting, then I think you're right---there was no radio report regarding the shooter's description put out within 15 minutes (or so) of the Tippit murder. But there was most definitely a "description" of President Kennedy's assassin broadcast on the radio, and that description was aired on KLIF Radio (the station that Tony Krome just said Brewer was listening to) as early as 12:54 PM (Dallas time), which would corroborate what Brewer said to Eddie Barker in his CBS-TV interview in 1964 when Brewer said this:

"Right after the President was shot, they broadcast a description on the radio of this man..."

If, in fact, Brewer was listening to KLIF Radio that day, the description he would have heard at 12:54 PM would have initially come from a female telephone operator at the Dallas Police Department, who quickly provided the description of the alleged Presidential assassin for a KLIF reporter who was recording the phone call for later broadcast. The description she provided was: "White male, 30 [years old], 5-10, 165, 30-caliber rifle, and I believe it was at Elm and Houston where it came from; now I don't know definitely and I don't like to say." [The audio can be heard below.]

https://drive.google.com/file/KLIF-Radio Bulletin (12:54 PM CST)

And then, two minutes later at 12:56 PM, KLIF's Gary DeLaune repeats the description (a little slower and clearer this time, with DeLaune adding two key words---"slender build"---to the description):

https://drive.google.com/file/KLIF-Radio Bulletin (12:56 PM CST)

For the record, the "5-10, 165 pounds" description was repeated again just three minutes later on KLIF, at 12:59 PM CST, and then yet again four minutes later at 1:03 PM.

That description that was aired multiple times by KLIF, of course, doesn't quite match Johnny Brewer's figures that he provided in his '64 CBS interview. He said in that interview that the description he heard concerning Kennedy's assassin (not the description of Tippit's killer) was "5-8, 5-9, 150 pounds", which is not accurate. But that error can likely be attributed to a slightly bad memory on Mr. Brewer's part.

But there is one KLIF bulletin (aired at 1:08 PM) which says that the assassin of JFK was "approximately 5 feet, 8 inches tall [and] weighs about 160 pounds".

David, thank you for noting yet another "strange coincidence" with the clock.  I shall add it to my JFK collection.  Now, assuming you are right about the broadcast at 12:54 who was the female officer and where did she get this info? I doubt Howard Brennan was so astute.  Then, explain who added slender build and on what basis.  Then, explain the basis of the 1:08 description.  I find it odd  when weighing credibility of witnesses you tend to give far latitude to some and none to others.  What FACTS make you give Brewer wide latitude here.  In other words, a judge uses facts to weigh witness credibility.  What facts make you feel it was just a oops bad memory blunder? Thank you.

Edited by Cory Santos

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

I can't see how it makes much difference, since Brewer obviously already knew that information himself

There were several people crowding Brewer's transistor radio for more than an hour;

Mr. BELIN - I want to take you back to November 22, 1963. This was the day that President Kennedy was assassinated. How did you find out about the assassination, Mr. Brewer? 
Mr. BREWER - We were listening to a transistor radio there in the store, just listening to a regular radio program, and they broke in with the bulletin that the President had been shot. And from then, that is all there was. We listened to all of the events. 

Were these other potential "Oswald" witnesses investigated?

Related Topic....

Julia Postal's December 4, 1963, affidavit is quite an interesting document too. In it, Julia says:

"At approximately 1:30 PM or a little later I was working in the ticket office at the theater. I was listening to my transistor radio, and KLIF had just announced that President Kennedy was dead. I had just seen a police car go west on Jefferson. As the police went by, a man ducked inside the theater. .... I stepped from the box office to the front and looked west. When I turned around, Johnny Brewer, Manager of Hardy's Shoes Store, was standing there."

The above details would seem to buttress and corroborate the testimony and statements of Johnny Brewer as well.

By the way, KLIF officially announced the death of President Kennedy at precisely 1:35 PM CST (which would have been two minutes after Assistant White House Press Secretary Malcolm Kilduff had made the official announcement of JFK's death from Parkland Hospital). So Julia Postal's estimated time for when that event occurred was just about spot-on perfect.

Edited by David Von Pein

18 minutes ago, Tony Krome said:

There were several people crowding Brewer's transistor radio for more than an hour;

Mr. BELIN - I want to take you back to November 22, 1963. This was the day that President Kennedy was assassinated. How did you find out about the assassination, Mr. Brewer? 
Mr. BREWER - We were listening to a transistor radio there in the store, just listening to a regular radio program, and they broke in with the bulletin that the President had been shot. And from then, that is all there was. We listened to all of the events. 

Were these other potential "Oswald" witnesses investigated?

I have no idea.

I now have a distinct feeling that my previous hunch is accurate about you, Tony.....

"I hope you're not hinting at the idea that Johnny Brewer really didn't listen to ANY radio broadcasts on 11/22 and that he just LATER made up a story about listening to the radio bulletins before spotting Oswald near his store. Tell me you're not travelling down that bumpy road, Tony."

~sigh~

1 hour ago, Cory Santos said:

David, thank you for noting yet another "strange coincidence" with the clock.  I shall add it to my JFK collection.  Now, assuming you are right about the broadcast at 12:54 who was the female officer and where did she get this info? I doubt Howard Brennan was so astute. 

It wasn't a female "officer". It was, as I said earlier, a female telephone operator at the Dallas Police Department. KLIF gave the name of the operator too---it was a "Mrs. Cripton" (sp?) or something similar to that.

And she got that description, quite obviously, from her own police department. It was the official APB bulletin that went out over the air to all DPD officers at 12:44 or 12:45 PM CST. And, yes, it's a description that very likely originated (at least in part) with Howard L. Brennan. (The part about the "30-caliber rifle" didn't come from Brennan, however, since Brennan didn't know beans about rifles.)

Then, explain who added slender build and on what basis. 

That detail probably came (originally) from Howard Brennan too. (Just as he says in his 11/22 affidavit.)....

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/s1500/Howard-Brennan-Affidavit.gif

Then, explain the basis of the 1:08 description. 

Yeah, I agree, that one is strange. KLIF's 1:08 PM description of the SAME suspect suddenly changed to "approximately 5 feet, 8 inches tall, about 160 pounds".

I haven't the foggiest idea how the President's killer managed to shrink two inches and lose five pounds in just five minutes (from 1:03 to 1:08).

So, Cory, does this slight "description" discrepancy mean that I'm supposed to toss aside all of the other evidence in this case that clearly indicates that Lee Harvey Oswald was a double murderer on 11/22/63?

Heaven help all reasonable people if that is what you're suggesting. :)

I find it odd when weighing credibility of witnesses you tend to give far latitude to some and none to others.  What FACTS make you give Brewer wide latitude here.  In other words, a judge uses facts to weigh witness credibility.  What facts make you feel it was just a 'oops, bad memory' blunder? Thank you. 

Because the "bad memory" explanation makes by far the most sense (in my opinion).

Edited by David Von Pein

Here's an e-mail exchange I had with Dale Myers on April 19th and April 20th, 2019....

Subject: J.C. Brewer and the Tippit radio report
Date: 4/19/2019; 5:05 PM EDT
To: David Von Pein

-----------------------------

David,

I was alerted to this thread and found your comment:

“...Such information is also not available in Dale Myers' exhaustive book on J.D. Tippit's murder, "With Malice"....”

to be incorrect.

My work on this issue was quite exhaustive and appears as endnote No. 617 (pages 738-739 of the 2013 Edition of “With Malice”) which I’ve pasted below for your convenience. Please give credit where credit is due.

Dale

============================

"With Malice: Lee Harvey Oswald And The Murder Of Officer J.D. Tippit" by Dale K. Myers (2013 Edition); Endnotes on pages 738 and 739:

“[617] 7H2 (WCT [Warren Commission Testimony] of Johnny Calvin Brewer, April 2, 1964)

[Note: The exact time that Brewer heard the radio broadcast on the shooting of Officer Tippit is not known, although it was very likely broadcast at about 1:31 p.m. over KBOX radio.

There were five major radio stations covering the Dallas area -- WFAA (570 AM), WBAP (820 AM), KRLD (1080 AM), KBOX (1480 AM), and KLIF (1190 AM). All of them routinely monitored the Dallas police radio. A review of archival recordings made by the four [sic; actually five] radio stations show that neither the shooting in Oak Cliff nor its location was broadcast until after Oswald was arrested at 1:51 p.m. However, the archival recordings of two of the radio stations – WFAA and KBOX – do not cover the entire assassination period. The WFAA recordings begin at 1:47 p.m.; KBOX recordings begin at 1:35 p.m.

A 1:59 p.m. KBOX report from newsman Sam Pate repeats information known to have been previously broadcast, including a report about the Tippit shooting (“Moments ago a police officer reported to have been shot down at Tenth and Patton in the Oak Cliff area. Several squads of police, approximately twenty men, ordered to the Oak Cliff area. A late word shows that the police officer was dead on arrival at Methodist Hospital.”). This KBOX report on the Tippit shooting was probably broadcast earlier on KBOX shortly after 1:31 p.m. when it was reported over the Dallas police radio that Tippit was DOA at Methodist Hospital.

During a 2005 interview for The Sixth Floor Museum, Brewer said that in addition to hearing a report about the Tippit shooting prior to Oswald’s appearance in front of Hardy’s Shoe Store, he also heard a radio report that the President had died. (Interview of Johnny C. Brewer, The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, November 21, 2005)

In his 1964 Warren Commission testimony, Brewer said that the president’s death was only a rumor. (7H2)

Texas Theater ticket-seller Julia Postal was more specific about the timing of Oswald’s arrival at the theater. “I was listening to KLIF [on a little transistor radio], and I was down in the little box office, and they kept saying that Parkland hadn’t issued an official report, that [President Kennedy] had been removed from the operating table, and everyone wanted to surmise, but still hope...” (7H9 WCT of Julia Postal, April 2, 1964)

According to Postal, they had just announced that Kennedy was dead when Oswald ducked into the theater. (24H221 CE2003, p.50, Affidavit of Julia Postal, December 4, 1963)

KLIF archival radio recordings show that at 1:27 p.m. KLIF announcers began reporting the “strong rumor” that the President was dead. The official announcement came eight minutes later, at 1:35 p.m., nearly simultaneous with the Dallas police radio call for all units to report to the library at Marsalis and Jefferson – the call that was no doubt responsible for the police activity that drove Oswald to seek refuge in the lobby of Hardy’s Shoe Store and moments later, the Texas Theater.

A KLIF radio log entry suggesting that the Tippit shooting and its location were broadcast shortly after White House press secretary Malcolm Kilduff’s 1:33 p.m. news conference on the president’s death, as reported in the 1998 edition of this volume, is misleading. A review of the actual recordings shows that newsman Roy Nichols’ brief report (“...there was a shooting a moment ago of a police officer in the 500 block of West Jefferson in Oak Cliff and he was dead on arrival at Methodist.”) wasn’t broadcast until 2:02 p.m. (KLIF, Dallas, Radio Log, November 22, 1963, Reel No.5, p.8, Entry #23, “Report of shooting of Police Officer in the 500 block of West Jefferson in Oak Cliff a few minutes ago.” Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library, Ann Arbor, MI)]”

[End "With Malice" Quotes.]

============================

DVP's E-Mail Reply To Dale Myers....

Subject: Re: J.C. Brewer and the Tippit radio report
Date: 4/20/2019; 1:11 AM EDT
To: Dale K. Myers

-----------------------------

Hi Dale,

Thank you very much for the information regarding Johnny Brewer and the Tippit radio broadcasts that appears in Endnote No. 617 of the 2013 edition of your book, "With Malice".

What I should have said in my Internet post on this matter is that the topic concerning Brewer and the radio stations isn't covered in the 1998 edition of "With Malice", which is the only edition of your book that I currently possess. I don't have the 2013 edition at the present time.

The excerpts you have provided via your book's extensive Endnote #617 contain a lot of useful information on this topic. And I was very happy to verify that my own research that I've been doing this week (while utilizing the resources in my own audio/video collection) has been very close to perfect when it comes to some of the specific timestamps of the various radio bulletins that were aired on several of the Dallas-area stations on 11/22/63. Per the figures in your endnote, I hit some of them right on the nose---even though I had no access to any kind of "Radio Logs" for each of the stations. I'm very pleased about that. And I'm pleased to now have a second source (the endnote in your book) with which to verify some of those timestamps.

Thanks again, Dale. I appreciate it very much.

Regards,
David Von Pein

[End E-Mails.]

Edited by David Von Pein

On 4/19/2019 at 6:51 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

Dr. Richard Liguori declared Tippit dead at 1:15 pm

11 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

From Dale Myers (in 2015)....

The 1:15 p.m. notation (although close in time to the actual moment of the shooting, as far as I can calculate) probably stems from Dr. Moellenhoff's use of an inaccurate Methodist emergency room clock.

Interesting, huh? All this fuss because no one at Methodist bothered to synchronize the clocks to actual time (some running fast, some running slow).

What a pitiful excuse!  Right up there with the dog ate my homework (and the original Dallas Dictabelts).  Many witnesses knew Tippit was shot well before 1:15. 

From John A's writeup on my website of The Murder of J.D. Tippit.

The Warren Commission concluded that “the shooting of Tippit has been established at approximately 1:15 or 1:16 p.m.” That conclusion, however, was based on the need to give HARVEY Oswald sufficient time to walk from the North Beckley rooming house to 10th and Patton. The best evidence indicates that Tippit was actually killed at about 1:06 p.m. Several witnesses, including Frank Cimino, Albert Austin, and Francis Kinneth thought the time was slightly earlier… closer to 1:00 PM.

1:00 PM. About 1:00 PM Frank Cimino, who lived at 403 E. 10th St., heard four shots and saw a police car parked on the street and a police officer lying on the ground. He walked across the street and stood beside Helen Markham, who was the first person to approach Tippit as he lay dying on the street.

1:00 PM. At approximately 1:00 PM Francis Kinneth heard two or three shots and saw a policeman laying on the pavement near the front of his police car.

1:00 PM. Sometime after 1:00 PM Albert Austin heard two or three shots and saw a policeman lying in front of a police car on the left front side.

1:06 PM. Helen Markham had just arrived at the northwest corner of 10th & Patton, en route to catch the city bus one block south at Jefferson & Patton (at 1:15 PM). She told the Warren Commission it was "6 or 7 minutes after 1." She saw a police car drive slowly past her and pull over to the curb. She watched as a young man walked over to Tippit's car and began talking with him thru the passenger side window. A minute later the young man stood up and backed away from the car as the officer slowly got out of his car. As the policeman began walking toward the front of the patrol car the young man pulled a gun and shot the officer. Markham began screaming and shouting as she watched the young man run west across Patton Street and hurry south toward Jefferson Blvd. Markham hurried over to the policeman, lying next to his car on the pavement. She told the Warren Commission that very soon an unknown man arrived: "He had a hat on. I thought he was a policeman." This man was likely Sgt. Croy, who was wearing a white police hat. As a reserve officer Croy was not allowed to carry a gun, which may have caused Markham to wonder if he was, in fact, a policeman. Croy, according to his Warren Commission testimony, interviewed Markham for the next 5-10 minutes and then turned her over to officers when they arrived on the scene. If the man wearing a hat was not Croy, who Markham thought was a policeman, then who was it?

1:06 PM. Mrs. Margie Higgins, who lived at 417 East 10th St. was watching television and later told reporters, "Well, I was watching the news on television and for some reason the announcer turned and looked at the clock and said the time was six minutes after one (1:06 PM). At that point I heard the shots."  Mrs. Higgins described the shooter and said, "He definitely was not the man they showed on television." Mrs. Higgins was perhaps the first citizen to call the police (circa 1:06 PM).

Tippit_Aerial.jpg

1:06-1:07 PM. Mrs. Frank Wright lived at 501 East 10th St, a half block from where Tippit was shot. She heard 3 shots, looked out her window, and saw a man lying in the street. She ran to her phone, dialed "0," and said to the operator, "Call the police, a man's been shot." When the police received Mrs. Wright's call they pushed a button that connected directly with the ambulance dispatcher, and an ambulance was dispatched immediately. Mrs. Wright then ran outside to join her husband and said, "It wasn't a minute until the ambulance got there." Mrs. Wright was probably the second citizen to call the police (circa 1:06-1:07 PM). When Frank Wright ran outside he saw "a woman come down from her porch, about three or four doors from the intersection of 10th & Patton, the same side of the street as Tippit's car.... I heard her shout, 'Oh, he's been shot!,' throwing up her hands. Then she went back up toward the house." This woman, likely Mrs. Ann McCravey, was never interviewed by the DPD, the FBI, or the WC. She was, however, interviewed by the BBC. 

1:06-1:07 PM. Mrs. Doris Holan lived directly across the street from the Tippit shooting, on the 2nd floor at 409 E Tenth Street. Mrs. Holan had just returned home from her job a few minutes after 1:00 PM when she heard several gunshots. From her 2nd floor bedroom window she had possibly the best view of the murder scene, and saw Tippit lying on the street near the left front of his patrol car. Mrs. Holan observed the shooter as he was walking across Virginia Davis's lawn toward Patton. Mrs. Holan also noticed a 2nd police car parked in the narrow driveway between two houses directly across the street (car #207, occupied by Capt. Westbrook and Sgt. Croy). Tippit's car was parked on 10th St., directly in front of the narrow driveway, and prevented the 2nd police car from driving onto 10th St. Mrs. Holan watched as a man, who I believe was Capt. Westbrook, get out of the police car and walk over to Tippit's body. The man appeared to observe the bullet wound on Tippit's head, and then quickly returned to the police car that was backing up toward the alley. If this man was not Capt. Westbrook, then who was it? 

In 1990 a resident of the neighborhood was interviewed by JFK researcher Prof. Bill Pulte, on the condition of anonymity. This resident said that he heard that a man walked down the driveway and approached Tippit just after the shooting. 

In January, 1968, Playboy magazine interviewed Jim Garrison. In response to the Garrison interview a reader wrote to Playboy and said, “I read Playboy's Garrison interview with perhaps more interest than most readers. I was an eyewitness to the shooting of policeman Tippit in Dallas on the afternoon President Kennedy was murdered. I saw two men, neither of them resembling the pictures I later saw of Lee Harvey Oswald, shoot Tippit and run off in opposite directions. There were at least half a dozen other people who witnessed this. My wife convinced me that I should say nothing, since there were other eyewitnesses. Her advice and my cowardice undoubtedly have prolonged my life--or at least allowed me now to tell the true story....” (Playboy, January 1968, Vol. 15, No 1, pg 11)

1:06-1:07 PM. Deputy Sheriff Roger Craig was searching the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository, when a rifle was discovered. Craig wrote, “… At that exact moment an unknown Dallas police officer came running up the stairs and advised Capt. Fritz that a Dallas policeman had been shot in the Oak Cliff area. I instinctively looked at my watch. The time was 1:06 PM."

NOTE:  The 2nd police car, parked between two houses on a very narrow driveway, could not be seen by most witnesses to the shooting, including Clemmons, Burt, Smith, Wright, Virginia Davis, Barbara Davis). But Mrs. Holan, who lived directly across the street from where Tippit was parked, did see the 2nd police vehicle. Both she and Aquilla Clemmons saw two men at the scene of the shooting, and one of those men came from the 2nd police vehicle. The location of the 2nd police vehicle, parked between the two houses on a very narrow driveway, was no accident. The precise location of this vehicle, hidden between the two houses, and the arrival of Westbrook, Croy, Tippit, and LEE Oswald at the same time and at the same location is the best indication that Tippit's murder was pre-planned and involved both LEE Oswald the occupants of the 2nd police vehicle.

1:06-1:07 PM. Barbara Jeanette Davis heard the shots, walked to her front door, and saw the shooter walking thru her yard toward Patton Street. She then called the police and reported that a police officer had been shot. Barbara Davis was probably the third citizen to call the police (circa 1:07-1:08 PM). Her sister in law, Virginia Davis, also heard the shots and looked out the screen door of her home as the shooter (LEE Oswald) was cutting across the yard in front of her house. She watched as he threw two empty shell casings onto the ground. Virginia testified before the Warren Commission:

Mrs. Davis. We saw the boy cutting across the street.
Mr. Belin. Then what did you do or see?
Mrs. Davis. After he disappeared around the corner we ran out in the front yard and down to see what had happened.
Mr. Belin. Then is that when you saw the policeman?
Mrs. Davis. I saw the policeman lying on the street.
Mr. Belin. All right. Did you see or do anything else? Did you see anyone else that you know come up to the policeman?
Mrs. Davis. No sir; there was a lot of people around there.
Mr. Belin. Do you remember about what time of day this was?
Mrs. Davis. I wouldn't say for sure. But it was about 1:30, between 1:30 and 2.
Mr. Belin. All right, after this, did police come out there?
Mrs. Davis. Yes; they was already there.
Mr. Belin. By the time you got out there?
Mrs. Davis. Yes, sir.
Mr. Belin. Then what did you do?
Mrs. Davis. Well, we just stood out there and watched. You know, tried to see how it all happened. But we saw part of it.
Mr. Belin. Then what did you do?
Mrs. Davis. We stood out there until after the ambulance had come and picked him up.

1:07-1:08 PM. Virginia  Davis told the Warren Commission that after the shooter (LEE Oswald) ran around the corner of her house a policeman "was already there." I believe this policeman was reserve officer Sgt. Croy who, along with Capt. Westbrook, was sitting in police car #207 when LEE Oswald shot and killed Tippit. Westbrook drove away in the police car, while Croy remained at the scene. If the police officer seen by Virginia Davis seconds after the shooting was not Croy, then who was it?

1:07-1:08 PM. After cutting thru the Davis's front yard the shooter (LEE Oswald) hurried onto Patton Street and walked past the rear of William Scoggins' taxi, which was parked at the corner of 10th & Patton. As the shooter walked south on Patton Street, Scoggins called his dispatcher (D.G. Graham) and reported that a police officer had been shot. The dispatcher called for an ambulance, which arrived within two minutes according to Scoggins, and then called the police. The taxi company dispatcher was probably the 4th citizen to call to the police (circa 1:07-1:08 PM).

1:07-1:08 PM. The shooter hurried south on Patton Street, where he was first seen by Ted Callaway and then by L.J. Lewis, who was at Johnny Reynolds used car lot at the corner of Jefferson Blvd. and Patton (510 E. Jefferson Blvd). Lewis heard 3 or 4 shots, and soon saw a man running south on Patton while attempting to load a pistol that he was holding in his right hand. Lewis saw the man as he turned the corner and began walking west on Jefferson Blvd. Lewis went to the car lot's office and was probably the 5th citizen to call the police (circa 1:07-1:08 PM).

1:08-1:09 PM. Domingo Benavides was sitting in his truck on the opposite side of the street facing Tippit's car, and watched LEE Oswald as he left the scene. He remembered, "the back of his [LEE Oswald's] head seemed like his hairline sort of went square instead of tapering off. His hair didn't taper off, it kind of went down and squared off." HARVEY Oswald's hairline, as we know from numerous photographs taken at the police station, extended well down his neck and past his collar line--it was not "squared off" as described by Benavides. A few minutes after the shooter disappeared from sight, Benavides got out of his truck and walked about 15 feet to Tippit's squad car. He told the Warren Commission that he used the police radio, notified the police dispatcher that a police officer had been shot, and gave the address as 410 East 10th Street. However, Benavides's voice is not heard on the police dictabelt nor is his conversation with the police dispatcher written on the DPD police transcript. It is very possible that Benavides saw police Capt. Westbrook, the 2nd police car, and Sgt. Croy in uniform when Tippit was shot, but dared not report that two Dallas police officers were involved in the Tippit shooting. 

1:09-1:10 PM. T.F. Bowley was driving west on 10th Street and arrived a few minutes after the shooting. He looked at his watch--the time was 1:10 PM. Domingo Benavides told the Warren Commission that as he was using the police radio to report the shooting of a police officer, a man was standing beside him. This man was T. F. Bowley, who also used the police radio to report the shooting.  An original DPD police transcript, found in the National Archives, lists the time of Bowley's call  to the police as 1:10 PM. Bowley's voice can be heard on the police dictabelt and his report to the police dispatcher is written on the DPD police transcript. 

1:09-1:10 PM. Ted Callaway worked at a used car lot on Jefferson Blvd., across the alley from where Virginia and Barbara Davis lived. He heard the shooting, and soon saw the shooter hurrying south on Patton at a distance of about 60 ft. Callaway described him as "white male, 27, 5'11", 165 lbs, black wavy hair, fair complected, wearing a light gray Eisenhower type jacket, dark trousers, and a white shirt." When interviewed and filmed many years later, Callaway again said, "he had on a white Eisenhower type jacket and a white t-shirt"--once again, the shooter was not wearing a brown shirt, just a white t-shirt. After the shooter walked around the corner at Patton and Jefferson Blvd. and disappeared, Callaway hurried one block north to 10th & Patton. The ambulance arrived and Tippit's body, with help from Callaway and Bowley, was loaded in the ambulance and driven to the nearby Methodist hospital. Ambulance driver Clayton Butler told the HSCA, "I was on the scene one minute or less. From the time we received the call in our dispatch office until Officer Tippit was pronounced dead at Methodist Hospital was approximately four minutes."  (circa 1:13-1:14).

Jim Hargrove said:

What a pitiful excuse!  Right up there with the dog ate my homework (and the original Dallas Dictabelts).  Many witnesses knew Tippit was shot well before 1:15.  .... [...snip...] ....

Even after all these years of putting up with the silly rantings of conspiracy theorists, it still burns both sides of my toast when I hear these CTers insist that Lee Harvey Oswald didn't fire a single shot at Officer J.D. Tippit---despite the fact that Sweet Lee was caught red-handed with the Tippit murder weapon in his hands just 35 minutes after murdering the 11-year veteran Dallas patrolman.

Plus, I'd like to know how on this Earth Tippit could have been declared "DOA" at Methodist Hospital at 1:15 PM (as many conspiracy theorists firmly believe) when we know that his body was still lying in the middle of Tenth Street as late as 1:18 PM?

The ambulance didn't even arrive to pick up Tippit's body until 1:18:59 PM [see Dale Myers' "With Malice", page 104, 1998 edition].

Let me guess --- Conspiracy theorists think that the Dudley Hughes ambulance slip is a fake too, right? That ambulance call slip was stamped with the time of 1:18 PM ["With Malice", page 101, 1998 edition].

Edited by David Von Pein

That’s easy.  You will not admit it but many of us here know that the Tippit murder was a planned event, part of the set-up of Russian-speaking Lee HARVEY Oswald by American-born LEE Harvey Oswald.  Who do we think was instrumental in this?  None other than Captain Westbrook, the personnel director who had the magic disappearing wallet with Hidell and Oswald IDs at 10th and Patton and the Eisenhower-style jacket AND, I’ll bet, the .39 revolver used to murder Tippit, all given to him by LEE Oswald.

Around 2:15 PM Sgt. Hill (assigned to Westbrook’s personnel office) brought the .38 revolver taken from HARVEY Oswald at the theater, to Capt. Westbrook's office. This gun should have been taken immediately to Homicide and Robbery, but Hill brought the gun to the personnel office.

This .38 revolver remained in Capt. Westbrook's personnel office for the next hour! Our bet is that Westbrook secretly switched the revolver now laying on his desk, taken from HARVEY Oswald at the theater, with the .38 revolver used to murder Tippit and given to him by LEE Oswald. One hour later the .38 revolver used to murder Tippit was initialed by police officers in Westbrook's office, entered into evidence, and turned over to the FBI later that evening.

Hill_w_gun.jpg

At 3:15 PM Det. Baker arrived from Homicide and Robbery to pick up the gun. Before surrendering the gun to Det. Baker, officers McDonald, Bentley, Carroll, and Hill initialed the .38 revolver (see above). THE GUN PICKED UP BY DET. BAKER AND ENTERED INTO EVIDENCE was now the gun used to murder Tippit. The gun taken from HARVEY Oswald at the Texas Theater disappeared and was never seen again. Det. Baker took possession of the .38 revolver and 6 rounds of live ammunition (3 Western .38 Special & 3 Remington-Peters .38 Special) and then  returned to Homicide and Robbery. 

--Above adapted from John Armstrong’s write-up on my website: The Murder of J.D. Tippit

1 hour ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Game over.  Make all the excuses you can conjure.

Tippit_1-15_PM.jpg

Jim,

I will see your 1:15 death certificate and raise you one better :):

As you undoubtedly know, the Warren Commission "investigation" was hampered by the apparent incompetence of the Dallas PD in their own inability to make and provide a transcript of all Dallas Police radio traffic for 11/22/63.

The Warren Commission published their Exhibit 705 which were the transcripts from the first and second Dallas PD submissions, plus the March 23, 1964 FBI verified submission of the "complete" logs for channels one and two.

The DPD dispatch log as published by the Warren Commission was typed up by the DPD and verified by the  FBI after listening to the entire DPD tape collection. 

On page 408, after being alerted that Tippit was shot, the following appears:

"Disp: 10-4 603 and 602, 1:10 p .m"

1:10 pm .  .  . 

Lest anyone think this is a typo, check out the time stamp notation at the bottom of page 408. This is only a total of 63 words later than the previous time stamp.

There is a second time stamp of 1:10, but this time the "0" has been partially whited out and typed over with a "9", but the original "0" is still plainly visible.

So, on the logs according to the Dallas Police themselves, and verified by the FBI , the two earliest Dallas dispatch time stamps after the shooting of Tippit read "1:10", one of which was subsequently re-typed to read "1:19"

And the Warren Commission published it!

How did it happen?

My guess is that the DPD and FBI were desperate to push the Tippit shooting back by roughly 7 or 8 minutes, so they phonied up the transcripts by '"adjusting" the times from the originals. Notice that many of the time stamps are (parenthetically noted), but the "1:10 pm" stamp is not. 

I bet someone went through and determined which time stamps needed "adjusting", put a parenthesis around those, and somehow overlooked the 1:10 time stamps. The second one was caught (and typed over), but the first one on page 408 was not.

And there it sits to this day.

The first two Dallas Police Time Stamps after the Tippit shooting were "1:10 pm"

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh17/pdf/WH17_CE_705.pdf