The Education Forum

Sharp says he mounted scopes on at least 12 FC Rifles

36 minutes ago, Matthew Koch said:

IMO the way to go about this, is to ask people on a gun forum for help. In this link is a smaller caliber Corto, but the guys on the forum seem to be knowledgable about serial numbers.         https://www.gunboards.com/threads/m38-fucile-corto-in-7-35x51-made-by-beretta-in-1938.1225353/

https://www.kennedysandking.com/images/pdf/JosephsRifle.pdf

David, I was skimming your article for Kennedy and King and in your conclusion, you compare A German Mauser to the Carcano.. it's been awhile since I've looked into the Gunsmith tag evidence, but didn't Sharp say something about possibly mounting an Argentine Mauser? The Argentine version looks alot more like the Carcano. I've always thought that this may have been an attempt to fix the fact that the longer Carcano rifle didn't come from Klein's with an attached scope. 

Thanks Matthew... I was sure I had compared to the Argentine Mauser as the images found were of the Argentine rifle.. what struck me was how the mounting of a scope would obscure the "MAUSER" stamp...  I also surmise that "MAUSER" was mentioned since there was no clip also found on the 6th floor... and since Seymour would have been knowledgeable about rifles he "should" know about stripper clips...  

What amazed me was how Boone and Weitzman spell it out almost exactly as a 7.65 Mauser, and this after DAY supposedly calls out the 6.5mm inscription...  and as you might have seen in that paper, there is no decent image of the "6.5mm" from the rifle in evidence while the rifle DAY removes from the building does not have a caliber stamp at all...

Below is SHARP's contact report... seems to me an honest and revealing discussion..  . Argentine Mausers are not mentioned yet  FBI got many rifles from KLEINS and not a single one from the batch of 100 that C2766 was supposedly from.  Below that is a small recap of some of the rifle evidence from my paper...

2024736474_StripperCliploadingtheMAUSERandtheCarcanoClipsystem-ScopecoversMAUSERstamp-smaller.thumb.jpg.28e29d1cbb6a870dcb209af84e9226b8.jpg

WilliamSharp-Kleinsgunsmith-HSCAcontactreport-smaller.jpg.2f75d338fafd73e07dc4747406354bcd.jpg

The Secret Service determined the rifle SHIPPED from Kleins was a 36" carbine (1891 TS)

2112043231_Kleins-provingtheriflefoundwasnottheoneorderedorshippedtoeitherKLEINSorHIDELL.thumb.jpg.2f11304d71593c4282660ed430e6a009.jpg

1 hour ago, Matthew Koch said:

but the guys on the forum seem to be knowledgable about serial numbers.

Also in that paper is a comparison of the C2766 serial number to what was written on the Italian documentation...

This is a blow-up of that line from the manifest and then reversed to confirm, that is a 5 not a 6, since we have the "6" just before it for comparison.

C2765...  FWIW

image.jpeg.070aaae679b3e776b3f103b27c89958c.jpeg