The Education Forum

Lee Harvey Oswald, Life-History, and the Truth of Crime

Ghosts of the Disciplinary Machine: Lee Harvey Oswald, Life-History, and the Truth of Crime

By Jonathan Simon*

https://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1058&context=facpubs

[Robert Morrow sent me this document, which I am posting for educational purposes only]

Actually...a very interesting analysis of how the Warrren Report employs, and "validates," the tropes of 1950s juvenile delinquency studies.  Probably the next best example is Truman Capote's "non-fiction novel" In Cold Blood, only a few years after the WR, and possibly informed by the WR.  If Oswald had had a collection of violent comic books, the noose would have been cinched. 

One wonders how, or if, any of the case history and the family legend (absent father, orphanage abandonment, truancy, etc., producing a malcontent and misfit), might have been allowed in court as "backgound" against an Oswald who survived.  Odds are, though, that his survival was never part of the plan.  The essay is also a portrait of the FBI's non-evidentiary methodology.  Well worth reading. 

Inspirational quote:

("The introduction of the 'biographical' is important to the
history of penality," Foucault noted, "because it established the
'criminal' as existing before the crime and even outside of it."' )
While this new vision of causality took the individual as its object,
then, it also dispersed the origins of criminal behavior across the
social field; the individuation of a criminal act through life-history
simultaneously represented a kind of death of the individual subject.

"Behind the offender to whom the investigation of the facts may
attribute responsibility for an offense," wrote Foucault,
"stands the delinquent whose slow formation is shown in a
biographical investigation .... [O]ne sees penal discourse and
psychiatric discourse crossing each other's frontiers; and there, at
their point of junction, is formed the 'dangerous' individual,
which makes it possible to draw up a network of causality in
terms of the entire biography and present a verdict of punishment-
correction."

In the Warren Report, Oswald is Foucault's ultimate "dangerous
individual." He is the perfect poster boy for a disciplinary society: the
youthful deviant who, diagnosed but untreated, went on to strike a
lethal blow at the core of national security. This image of Oswald was
all the more potent because the Commission's biographical truth was
to be the final legal word on his life, undisturbed by the discourse of
moral and legal blame that a criminal trial in Texas would have
produced had Oswald lived.

Edited by David Andrews

David: You are one talented writer with a perceptive mind that constantly amazes me with keen insights that I missed seeing in whatever matter that is posted.

Our forum is fortunate to have you and so many others like you. What a group of exceptional people from all walks of life united in the common cause of searching for the truth.

David - in some ways I agree with what Mr. Joliffe posted, but also am interested in your well articulated theory(s).

According to RFK Jr., Joseph Kennedy has been much maligned by revisionist history. Have you read his book American Values?

Dinkin - I think he was ultimately coerced into changing his source from coded intercepted messages to psychological sets. We know now, through sleuthing by Steve Thomas (and myself) that the official recording misstates Dinkin’s record. He was attached to a high security military group tasked with nuclear security. 

4 hours ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

Hmm.

Since "Oswald" did NOT shoot anyone, who cares what influence comic books and/or pop culture had on him growing up? Why does any of that matter?

Did you read the article on Oswald and disciplinary methodology in the Warren Report. which Doug Caddy posted?  The comic book influence, while not applied to Oswald, was part of the psychological "backgrounding:" of delinquency the shaped the legend of LHO in the WR.