The Education Forum

Inside Story on 1953 Mossadegh Iran Coup

David, there is not doubt about that, the US actually was supporting the Iranian govt for a time in oil negotiations with the British but there was so much fervor for the Brits that sympathies turned -- we have extensive detail from the National Security meetings, State Dept documents and memos from both State and CIA in Iran.  I went into extensive detail on that and quoted/cited a lot of those documents in Creating Chaos.  The British also introduced a naval blockade as part of their political action in the negotiations, very effectively from an economic standpoint....we took the same idea covert and more aggressively a few years later in Indonesia.

In Iran we followed the British and worked political warfare against the regime jointly with them.

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

David, there is not doubt about that, the US actually was supporting the Iranian govt for a time in oil negotiations with the British but there was so much fervor for the Brits that sympathies turned -

I don't doubt our delay, based on our response to the British crisis over the Suez three years later.  Each region was crucial to the foundering post-war Brit economy.  I'm sure American oil got a nice cut for our supporting the Iranian coup, though, and it made out well there in the following decades.

Edited by David Andrews

Perhaps surprisingly, the push to support the British was less about oil and more about the knee jerk anti-Communism of that era. The CIA and both John and Foster Dulles went to great lengths to whip up fears of the Iranian Communist party taking control and putting the Soviets on the Gulf (which of course the Soviets definitely wanted). The intervention with the British was positioned primarily with that motive - part of the global Soviet blocking move with our WWII allies. 

It was the same huge mistake we made in continuing to back the French establishment in SE Asia - where the decision was that we had to support British and French economic colonialism in order to ensure they could push back against the Soviets in Europe....more gut level fear of communism and no understanding or empathy at all for the wave of anti-colonialism and nationalism wave which followed the end of World War II. 

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Go research how WW Jr. and I were two of four co-recipients of this NYU scholarship in (I believe) fall 1980.  In those days, the amount being over half of a semester's tuition, it went to students on max financial aid:

Michael Probst Scholarships

Sophomores with outstanding academic records are eligible to apply for a small number of $2,500 Probst Scholarship merit awards. The Probst Scholarships are highly competitive and non-renewable. Students having earned a cumulative GPA of 3.85 or higher and at least 32 credit hours in Liberal Studies with no outstanding incomplete grades are eligible to submit an application. A call for applications goes out in the spring. The award is for the fall semester of sophomore year and is not renewable.

https://liberalstudies.nyu.edu/content/nyu-as/liberalstudies/academics/honors-and-awards.html

"Warren Wilhelm, Jr.,  is the kindest, bravest, warmest human being I've ever known..."  -- The Manchurian Candidate

Edited by David Andrews

50 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I hope the Scholarship is still around and adjusted for inflation. I would guess $2,500 today at NYU would be good for about 1/2 credit.

Actually, it has not been adjusted, it's still $2500, even though they've been investing Michael Probst's endowment for decades.

That was pretty much a free semester for me, since the rest was covered by financial aid.  As it would have been for Warren Wilhelm, Jr.

Edited by David Andrews

I feel like almost every shakedown that goes on is due to an Anglo-American-Israeli symbiotic relationship or pact. I read somewhere that the Churchill family were close friends of the Rothschilds and they actually managed his (Winston’s) money for life, for free. Churchill was one of the biggest proponents of a Jewish state being created. Then you have 200-600lb of enriched Uranian vanishing from Pittsburgh and allegedly ending up in Israel. 🤷‍♂️ 
I don’t know how close we’ll ever get to understanding the machinations of power behind the scenes. At the very least there is a significant co-operation of intelligence/clandestine services.

32 minutes ago, Chris Kennedy-Barnard said:

I feel like almost every shakedown that goes on is due to an Anglo-American-Israeli symbiotic relationship or pact. I read somewhere that the Churchill family were close friends of the Rothschilds and they actually managed his (Winston’s) money for life, for free. Churchill was one of the biggest proponents of a Jewish state being created. Then you have 200-600lb of enriched Uranian vanishing from Pittsburgh and allegedly ending up in Israel. 🤷‍♂️ 
I don’t know how close we’ll ever get to understanding the machinations of power behind the scenes. At the very least there is a significant co-operation of intelligence/clandestine services.

Notice that Eisenhower hesitated to get involved with British covert efforts in Iran (1953), and a British invasion of Egypt (1956) when oil and its shipping were at stake for the British, but jumped right into the Congo fray (1960) when supplies of uranium and other weapons materials were at risk.

Edited by David Andrews

23 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Notice that Eisenhower hesitated to get involved with British covert efforts in Iran (1953), and a British invasion of Egypt (1956) when oil and its shipping were at stake for the British, but jumped right into the Congo fray (1960) when supplies of uranium and other weapons materials were at risk.

There is quite a bit about Patrice Luamba in JFK books as you probably know and of course the death of Dag Hammarskjold which is almost always cited as a CIA / British assassination.