The Education Forum

Umbrella Man

There's a 1985 photo of Harari showing some resemblance. (Mark Stapleton)

Hi Mark,

Is there any chance you can post that photograph?

James

James,

Apologies--I don't have a scanner. Hopefully MCP will post it. It's hard to really tell how close the resemblance is, considering the 22 year difference, but it's quite similar hair, hairline and nose.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[sEE POST #13, SAME THREAD, ABOVE]

[....] Prouty says he never thought of the weapon again until shortly after the assassination. "I knew the rules of Presidential protection and I knew that no one along the parade route was ever permitted to open an umbrella as the President's car went by. They let that happen. Why this omission? Why that umbrella? [....]

OK, I'm just wondering... What should the SS and/or local law enforcement have done when they saw the guy opening the umbrella? Tackled him? Shot him?? Any ideas? Duke?

Two other questions:

(1) Just who WAS Louie Steven Witt, anyway?

(2) In the Z film, is the umbrella "tracking" JFK before, during, and/or after the UM shoots JFK in the throat with the flechette/dart? I can understand why "before" and "during" (obviously), but why "after"? No biggie; just curious.

FWIW, Thomas :ice

Thomas,

Good posts. Witt surfaced in 1978 during the HSCA and announced himself as the umbrella man. There's a strong resemblance. Witt and his innocent umbrella obviously took the heat out of the debate about the flechette. But all the questions remain: why did he wait 15 years? why wasn't he questioned at the scene because, as you point out, opening an umbrella near the Presidential limo was forbidden? where did DCM go, and why hasn't he come forward (unless he died shortly afterward), why was the umbrella rotated in such a fashion? and why weren't they ducking for cover at the sound of the shots?

Has anybody else noticed that "Umbrella Man", and the "Tall Tramp" seem to be wearing the exact same thing? Probably just a coincidence, just thought it was kinda odd.

Can the real photoguru of this forum post the TallTramp/UmbrellaMan photos so that we can compare what the two men were wearing?

Has anybody else noticed that "Umbrella Man", and the "Tall Tramp" seem to be wearing the exact same thing? Probably just a coincidence, just thought it was kinda odd.

Can the real photoguru of this forum post the TallTramp/UmbrellaMan photos so that we can compare what the two men were wearing?

I'm not sure if Ray was referring to me or not but here is a comparison.

James

I'm not sure if Ray was referring to me or not but here is a comparison.

James

By the powers vested in me, I hereby declare James Richards the SuperPhotoGuru of this forum.

I can see that the two men are wearing jackets of the same double-breasted style, in both cases the jacket is unbuttoned.

Judging by every photograph I've seen, men's double-breasted jackets were a most unusual sight in Dallas that year. The only other photo of a double-breasted jacket that day is on Frenchy, the most sinister-looking of the three tramps.

The OldMan tramp also wears an unusual jacket, in his case a cardigan unbuttoned all the way. Could it be that total strangers were told to indentify their accomplices by their jacket styles? The Double-breasted gang!

Where did one commonly find men's double-breasted jackets for sale in 1963?

Double-breasteds were big in the Thirties, I m pretty sure, and they made a comeback in the eighties. Does anyone know where double-breateds were in style in the early sixties?

Possibly in some foreign city, or possibly they could be bought at your local thrift store, the lovely new jacket that Grandad got years ago, and never got to wear.

Military jackets can be converted to civilian wear simply by changing the buttons, but Frenchy's jacket does not look military.

Btw, how do you know the CIA had it--has an ex-officer stated this? Had it been used in other covert ops, prior to '63?

The various dart weapons were discussed by Colby, Helms, and the inventor before the Church Committee in September 1975. Excerpts of their testimony and a summary are in Cutler and Sprague's article (link below), and is corroborated by Prouty insofar as he can be believed (he had read the article).

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/TUM.html

p.s. have you recieved your copy of MCP's book?

Yes. I looked at the Harari photo, but don't see much resemblance to UM. Harari actually looks more like Arlen Specter.

Thomas,

[....] Witt surfaced in 1978 during the HSCA and announced himself as the umbrella man. There's a strong resemblance. Witt and his innocent umbrella obviously took the heat out of the debate about the flechette. But all the questions remain: why did he wait 15 years? why wasn't he questioned at the scene because, as you point out, opening an umbrella near the Presidential limo was forbidden? where did DCM go, and why hasn't he come forward (unless he died shortly afterward), why was the umbrella rotated in such a fashion? and why weren't they ducking for cover at the sound of the shots?

Mark,

EXACTLY.... Suffice it to say that I don't think that Witt was the Umbrella Man. Never have, especially after seeing the photo of the "humorous" opening of the umbrella (?) at the HSCA hearing. A bit too contrived and overly theatrical to be believable, IMO. What a convenient time for an umbrella to malfunction, eh? Makes one wonder why Witt wouldn't have thrown away such a useless umbrella, doesn't it?

Personally, I think UM was Gordon Novel. B)

I shouldn't have asked, "Who WAS Louie Steven Witt, anyway?"

I should have asked, "FOR WHOM was Louie Steven Witt working during the HSCA hearings?"

Edited by Thomas Graves

It has occurred to me the possible reason why UM calmly sat down on the curb right after the shooting. It was not to access the situation, though sitting down of course gave him and DCM time to do so.

If UM had folded his umbrella and immediately began moving somewhere after the shots, he would have naturally drawn the attention of cops and others by having what could look to be a rifle in his hand. So he sat down, and laid down the folded umbrella under him in the gutter of the curb, till it was safe to get up with the umbrella and calmly walk away.

That's exactly what I would have down if I had a long dark object in my hand and I had somehow been involved in the president having just been shot while going by me.

It has occurred to me the possible reason why UM calmly sat down on the curb right after the shooting. It was not to access the situation, though sitting down of course gave him and DCM time to do so.

If UM had folded his umbrella and immediately began moving somewhere after the shots, he would have naturally drawn the attention of cops and others by having what could look to be a rifle in his hand. So he sat down, and laid down the folded umbrella under him in the gutter of the curb, till it was safe to get up with the umbrella and calmly walk away.

That's exactly what I would have down if I had a long dark object in my hand and I had somehow been involved in the president having just been shot while going by me.

I agree with you Ron. If you think about it, the way those two behaved after the assassination was exactly how someone involved and trained to avoid attracting attention to themselves would behave, IMO.

If they were innocent bystanders, why didn't they react like the others ie. run to the knoll, look for a policeman, ask others where the shots came from etc. The sense of collective shock and anger seemed to build quickly among the others. Why weren't these guys eager to explain to the authorities what they saw? They just saw the President get his head blown off from a few feet away, for heaven's sake. They were the closest to the action but they both simply sat down, then walked away in opposite directions and disappeared into obscurity.

The Louie Witt story to the HSCA stinks. I think we've been looking at two of the participants in the assassination all this time and it seems quite obvious that any other explanation doesn't hold water.

[....] I don't think that Witt was the Umbrella Man. Never have, especially after seeing the photo of the "humorous" opening of the umbrella (?) at the HSCA hearing. A bit too contrived and overly theatrical to be believable, IMO. What a convenient time for an umbrella to malfunction, eh? Makes one wonder why Witt wouldn't have thrown away such a useless umbrella, doesn't it?

Personally, I think UM was Gordon Novel. B)

In post #23, I shouldn't have asked, "Who WAS Louie Steven Witt, anyway?"

I should have asked, "FOR WHOM was Louie Steven Witt working during the HSCA hearings?"

EXACTLY......

:ice

Edited by Thomas Graves

Thomas and Ron,

Is Witt still around? He said he was 53 in 1978, which would make him 80 or 81 now.

Others have pointed out the inconsistencies between Witt's testimony and the films and photographs of DP. I don't know if his background was properly checked. Witt's testimony is below. And if as some suspect, including me, that it was all a lot of rubbish then Thomas's question is important: Who was he working for during the HSCA?

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/jfkinfo2/jfk4/witt.htm

Mark,

According to his testimony, Witt was working for the Rio Grande National Life Insurance Co. in 1963. It would be interesting to know who else worked there, how long Witt had been there, how long he had lived in Dallas, where did he come from, etc. I also wonder why he located the insurance company at two different addresses, 51 Northview Street at the corner of Beal, and the corner of Elm and Field Streets.

Witt may still be around (he lived at 7209 Embassy Street in 1963 and was still there in 1978), but I wonder how approachable he would be. He did not come forward till subpoened in 1978. In the Fourth Decade, v. 1 no. 5, Gary Mack wrote that a former co-worker of Witt tipped off Penn Jones Jr. after recognizing Witt’s picture when the HSCA asked the media for help on identifying UM. Gary wrote that Witt twice “declined to talk” with researchers, but was willing to talk to the HSCA, which thereupon subpeoned him. Witt made it clear in his testimony that he would rather not be there and that the attention had caused concern for him and his family. But it’s possible, of course, that after this much time Witt, if he is still living, might be willing to be interviewed.

The resemblance of Witt to UM in a couple of the photos is undeniable. My impression of his testimony is that it is generally credible except for what he claimed to have seen (or rather not seen) and done during the time of the shooting, which conflicts with the photo and film evidence of his actions. Witt may have been unaware of this conflict, due to his purported lack of interest in the assassination in the years afterward. So theoretically Witt could have been telling the truth about being UM, and lying about what he saw and did at the time of the shooting.

Why would he lie? The most plausible explanation IMO would be that Witt would have felt too ashamed to testify that he was taunting JFK with the umbrella, as he had planned, as JFK was being shot to death. Witt found it easier on himself to say that he didn’t really do or see anything as JFK was being murdered, because the half-raised open umbrella was blocking his view.

That’s simply a conjecture. It would indeed be interesting to know what Witt might say today in light of the photo and film evidence contradicting his testimony almost 30 years ago.

My suspicious nature tells me that the assumption that UM and Witt are the same person should be treated with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Having said that, I agree it would be interesting to speak to him if he's still around. Maybe he'll join the Forum. I'm joking. He won't speak. That stuff about hurting his family, etc doesn't wash. People are not going to start throwing fruit at his family if he tells researchers what he saw that day. A harmless demonstration with an umbrella 43 years ago, albeit unfortunately timed, is not a hanging offence, IMO. Something doesn't add up there.

He wouldn't relish explaining how he, an apparently ordinary citizen, reacted like a person trained in covert operations instead of like an ordinary Joe. Same for his buddy.

it would be interesting to speak to him if he's still around. Maybe he'll join the Forum. I'm joking. He won't speak

Perhaps it would be better to track down his workmates (girlfriends?) of the period to see if anyone can confirm or deny that he was really the umbrella man. As best as I recall, the HSCA did not seek (or at least did not find) independent corroboration of Witt's account.

Are there any photos of him from the 1961-1965 period?

My suspicious nature tells me that the assumption that UM and Witt are the same person should be treated with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Having said that, I agree it would be interesting to speak to him if he's still around. Maybe he'll join the Forum. I'm joking. He won't speak. That stuff about hurting his family, etc doesn't wash. People are not going to start throwing fruit at his family if he tells researchers what he saw that day. A harmless demonstration with an umbrella 43 years ago, albeit unfortunately timed, is not a hanging offence, IMO. Something doesn't add up there.

He wouldn't relish explaining how he, an apparently ordinary citizen, reacted like a person trained in covert operations instead of like an ordinary Joe. Same for his buddy.

Mark,

In his "testimony" to the HSCA, Witt says more than once that immediately after the shooting he was "standing on the retaining wall and that he sat down on it ." Are there any photographs/film footage actually showing him doing this? How could he possibly confuse the curb of the sidewalk with the retaining wall, for cryin' out loud? He seem to be pretty adamant about it....... Come to think of it, why didn't any members of the HSCA challenge/question him on this? Weird.....

For that matter, are there any images of him opening his umbrella, etc before the shooting started?

Just curious, Thomas :)

Edited by Thomas Graves