The Education Forum

Brewer's "Man in the Window"

The Commission presented the behavior of the man Brewer allegedly saw in the shoe store window based on Brewer's suspicion that the man was trying to avoid police because he had committed a crime.

But the Commission never considered that the man was not trying to avoid capture from police, but rather trying to avoid the sound of the sirens.

PTSD was not diagnosed until 1980, but that doesn't mean that it didn't exist before then. Sirens are a known trigger for PTSD and both times the man "ducked into" the "lobby" area of the shoe store and the Texas Theater, the sirens were the loudest.

https://themighty.com/topic/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/ptsd-triggered-by-sirens

When the man heard the sirens, he ducked into the shoe store lobby area.

Mr. Belin. When did he go in now? What did you hear at the time that he stepped into this lobby area?
Mr. Brewer. I heard the police cars coming up Jefferson, and he stepped in, and the police made a U-turn and went back down East Jefferson.
Mr. Belin. Where did he make the U-turn?
Mr. Brewer. At Zangs.
Mr. Belin. Do you remember the sirens going away?
Mr. Brewer. Yes; the sirens were going away. I presume back to where the officer had been shot, because it was back down that way. And when they turned and left, Oswald looked over his shoulder and turned around and walked up West Jefferson towards the theatre. ( 7 H 2 )

Many sufferers of PTSD deal with the trauma triggered by going into a disassociative trance.

"Trance-like states and states of possession are categorised as dissociative disorders, where there is a temporary loss of the sense of personal identity with full awareness of the surroundings. Dissociation is a common feature of PTSD, and involves detachment from the overwhelming emotional content of the experience during and in the immediate aftermath of the trauma. Chronic psychological, sexual, and physical trauma, as well as emotional neglect, has been linked to dissociation, while acute traumatic events can also lead to dissociation."

https://www.themorning.lk/ptsd-can-manifest-itself-in-trance-like-states/

There is evidence that the man in the window was in some sort of trance-like state.

Mr. Belin. Did you notice any of his actions when he was standing in your lobby there ?
Mr. Brewer. No; he just stood there and stared.
Mr. Belin. He stared ?
Mr. Brewer. Yes.
Mr. Belin. Was he looking at the merchandise ?
Mr. Brewer. Not anything in particular. He was just standing there staring. ( 7 H 4 )

The sound of the sirens caused the man to panic again in front of the Texas Theater.

Mrs. Postal. Yes; and when the sirens went by he had a panicked look on his face, and he ducked in.
Mr. Ball. Now, as the car went by, you say the man ducked in, had you seen him before the car went by, the police went by?
Mrs. Postal. No, sir; I was looking up, as I say, when the cars passed, as you know, they make a tremendous noise, and he ducked in as my boss went that way to get in his car. ( 7 H 10 )

To the witnesses, the man's actions were suspicious and seemed like he was running from police. Of course, they could not have known that he may have had some kind of medical condition. But there may have been another reason why he was acting that way: he was trying to deal with the trauma triggered by the sound of the sirens due to PTSD or phonophobia.

And if that's true, the man Brewer saw in the window was not Oswald.

24 minutes ago, Steve Roe said:

The man (Oswald) who had (cough cough) PTSD, was pointed out by Johnny Brewer in the Texas Theater. Nice try. 

Johnny Calvin Brewer said that the man he saw matched a description of the man wanted by police he heard on the radio, a description the press could only have gotten from police. So how does that police broadcast description match up to the man he saw ?

brewer.jpg

Brewer wasn't a reliable witness and I doubt sincerely that he was the one who saw the man in the window. It's more likely that someone else saw him and told Brewer that he had a brown shirt because that's the only description Brewer had when he talked to Julia Postal and Burroughs.

I don't believe anything Brewer says up to the part where he confronts Postal. He went into the Texas Theater armed only with a description of a man with a brown shirt and when they turned on the house lights and he saw Oswald wearing a brown shirt, he was convinced Oswald was the man described to him.

With that cough, you should be checked for COVID.

Edited by Gil Jesus

20 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

Brewer wasn't a reliable witness and I doubt sincerely that he was the one who saw the man in the window. It's more likely that someone else saw him and told Brewer that he had a brown shirt because that's the only description Brewer had when he talked to Julia Postal and Burroughs.

I don't believe anything Brewer says up to the part where he confronts Postal. He went into the Texas Theater armed only with a description of a man with a brown shirt and when they turned on the house lights and he saw Oswald wearing a brown shirt, he was convinced Oswald was the man described to him.

A wild imagination is something that seems to be inherent amongst conspiracy theorists....as Gil J. Jesus once again proved with his ridiculous post above.

Edited by David Von Pein

22 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

A wild imagination is something that seems to be inherent amongst conspiracy theorists....as Gil J. Jesus once again proved with his ridiculous post above.

Not my imagination. I posted the links to support my position. Any attacks on me, coming from a man whose sense of reasoning is based on circular reasoning, I consider compliments.

Your characterization of me as a "conspiracy theorist" proves that you like to make statements that are less than truthful. I'm no conspiracy theorist. I don't write about conspiracies. And you KNOW that.

Show the world where I've ever posted anything about 911.

Show the world where I've ever posted anything about the moon landing.

Show the world where I've ever posted anything about Sandy Hook, or the Flight 800 crash.

I write about the evidence in THIS case. I offer alternative reasons to the official version BASED ON THE EVIDENCE.

Once again, you attack the messenger because you don't like the message.

Once again, you offer no evidence to the contrary of what I post, only insults. If it's not in a book by Posner, Myers or Bugliosi, you have nothing to respond with except comments and insults. 

You've been given the narrative and of course, those who gave it to you would never lie.

It's obvious that it is beyond your ability to comprehend that there could be other reasons why the man in the window was acting strange. Medical reasons. And since you can offer no evidence that this was not possible, hence, the "imagination" crack.

Your opinions mean nothing, David, when compared to the evidence. Your insults mean even less. They don't damage my credibilty, they damage yours. Just like that video of the Malcolm Kilduff announcement of JFK's death you posted that cut away just before he was going to point to his temple.

Deception by omission. That wasn't me, that was you.

In fact, your credibility is so bad that you need to post "as it happened" videos to at least gain back some perception of honesty. You're not fooling anybody, David. Your reputation was established many years ago.

The readers see you, as I do, for what you are.

And I'll be surprised if you last very long in this forum. How you respond to people is one of those character traits that you cannot change. And to say that your "people skills" need work is putting it nicely. A leopard cannot change his spots. You simply cannot "play nice" with others and I predict that eventually that will be your downfall.

That's because you are unable to have respect for people who disagree with you. You cannot accept what they say even in the face of evidence that supports their position. In your eyes, they are the enemy. They must be discredited. They must be attacked. Thank goodness the world has you, the vanguard of truth, to counter the "misinformation" campaign set forth by "kooks" like Mark Lane, Jim Garrison and Tink Thompson, to name just a few.

Before you start judging other people as having a "wild imagination" or being less than truthful, you better look in the mirror.

Or at the very least post evidence contrary to theirs.

'

Edited by Gil Jesus

23 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

Johnny Calvin Brewer said that the man he saw matched a description of the man wanted by police he heard on the radio, a description the press could only have gotten from police. So how does that police broadcast description match up to the man he saw ?

brewer.jpg

With that cough, you should be checked for COVID.

Again, you speculate saying Brewer was not a reliable witness. Brewer said he was acting suspicious looking through the alcove display while cop cars were whizzing by on Jefferson Blvd. In other words, everyone else was looking at the cops go by, and Oswald was busy looking at wing-tip shoes with his back turned. Nothing to see.....right?

If the "man" looking at the shoes was innocent, then what's the beef? 

That "man", identified by Johnny Brewer, had a loaded .38 S/W revolver and got into a scuffle with the DPD. 

Other Patrons of the Theater were questioned, and they didn't put up a fight. 

I know how desperate you are to exonerate your precious Patsy, but you're overreaching with this unfair characterization of Brewer. 

1 hour ago, Steve Roe said:

Again, you speculate saying Brewer was not a reliable witness. Brewer said he was acting suspicious looking through the alcove display while cop cars were whizzing by on Jefferson Blvd. In other words, everyone else was looking at the cops go by, and Oswald was busy looking at wing-tip shoes with his back turned. Nothing to see.....right?

That "man", identified by Johnny Brewer, had a loaded .38 S/W revolver and got into a scuffle with the DPD. 

I know how desperate you are to exonerate your precious Patsy, but you're overreaching with this unfair characterization of Brewer. 

Brewer never saw the man in the window and he never saw the man enter the theater. He not only couldn't tell the Commission what color pants the man in the window was wearing, he couldn't even tell them if the pants were dark or light colored. This is in spite of his having seen the man in the window and walking down the street for about 60 yards.

Further evidence that he never saw the man is that he had to ask Julia Postal if she sold him a ticket. The ticket booth was positioned in such a way that anyone buying a ticket could be seen down the walkway. If he was out on the sidewalk, he would have been able to see if the man had bought a ticket.

The doors to enter the theater were recessed. There's no way he could have seen him enter the theater. 

Ever sit down for any length of time with a .38 in your waistband ? Try it sometime. Very uncomfortable. Det. Carroll put the gun in his waistband while he was standing in the theater, but when he got outside and went to get into the cruiser, he took it out and gave it to Sgt. Hill. Nobody sits down with a .38 in their waistband. That's BS.

The handgun was planted. At least one witness ( Applin ) said he thought the gun came from the officer.

And where are all the other interviews of the witnesses in the theater ? Police allegedly locked the doors and interviewed all of the theater patrons after Oswald's arrest. Where are those interviews ?

So this is the scenario the evidence tells me:

Someone ( probably shoe store employee Tommy Rowe ) saw the man in the window and walked out to the street to see him turn right and assumed he went into the Texas Theater.  He then went back inside the store and described him to his manager ( Brewer ) as having a brown shirt and entering the theater.

Brewer then walked down to the ticket box and asked Postal if she'd sold the man in a brown shirt a ticket. When she said no, he went inside and asked Burroughs if he had seen a man walk by wearing a brown shirt. He said no. They assumed the man had gone up the stairway between the double sets of doors to the balcony. Brewer and Burroughs then checked the balcony and the first floor and could not tell if anyone was wearing a brown shirt.

They checked the exits, made sure they hadn't been breached and went back outside and told Postal that he had to be still in the building. So she called police. 

Just before the police came through the back door, the house lights went on and Brewer saw Oswald moving from the seat to the aisle and back again. He noticed that Oswald was wearing a brown shirt and assumed he was the man who was at his store. When the police entered the building, he pointed Oswald out as the man "he saw". Capt. Westbrook then passed the empty .38 to Off. McDonald who ( after searching two other subjects after Oswald was "pointed out" ) stuck it into Oswald's waistband for which Oswald realized he was being set up and sucker punched him. 

McDonald never attempted to search Oswald, he went right for the waistband. That's not the way police are trained search someone, but that's exactly what you'd do if you were going to plant a weapon.

I know how desperate you are to convict your precious blood-thirsty assassin and cop-killer, ( "I got me a President and a cop and I'll get two more" ) but read the testimony and learn something.

Edited by Gil Jesus

29 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

Brewer never saw the man in the window and he never saw the man enter the theater. He not only couldn't tell the Commission what color pants the man in the window was wearing, he couldn't even tell them if the pants were dark or light colored. This is in spite of his having seen the man in the window and walking down the street for about 60 yards.

Further evidence that he never saw the man is that he had to ask Julia Postal if she sold him a ticket. The ticket booth was positioned in such a way that anyone buying a ticket could be seen down the walkway. If he was out on the sidewalk, he would have been able to see if the man had bought a ticket.

The doors to enter the theater were recessed. There's no way he could have seen him enter the theater. 

Ever sit down for any length of time with a .38 in your waistband ? Try it sometime. Very uncomfortable. Det. Carroll put the gun in his waistband while he was standing in the theater, but when he got outside and went to get into the cruiser, he took it out and gave it to Sgt. Hill. Nobody sits down with a .38 in their waistband. That's BS.

The handgun was planted. At least one witness ( Applin ) said he thought the gun came from the officer.

And where are all the other interviews of the witnesses in the theater ? Police allegedly locked the doors and interviewed all of the theater patrons after Oswald's arrest. Where are those interviews ?

So this is the scenario the evidence tells me:

Someone ( probably shoe store employee Tommy Rowe ) saw the man in the window and walked out to the street to see him turn right and assumed he went into the Texas Theater.  He then went back inside the store and described him to his manager ( Brewer ) as having a brown shirt and entering the theater.

Brewer then walked down to the ticket box and asked Postal if she'd sold the man in a brown shirt a ticket. When she said no, he went inside and asked Burroughs if he had seen a man walk by wearing a brown shirt. He said no. They assumed the man had gone up the stairway between the double sets of doors to the balcony. Brewer and Burroughs then checked the balcony and the first floor and could not tell if anyone was wearing a brown shirt.

They checked the exits, made sure they hadn't been breached and went back outside and told Postal that he had to be still in the building. So she called police. 

Just before the police came through the back door, the house lights went on and Brewer saw Oswald moving from the seat to the aisle and back again. He noticed that Oswald was wearing a brown shirt and assumed he was the man who was at his store. When the police entered the building, he pointed Oswald out as the man "he saw". Capt. Westbrook then passed the empty .38 to Off. McDonald who ( after searching two other subjects after Oswald was "pointed out" ) stuck it into Oswald's waistband for which Oswald realized he was being set up and sucker punched him. 

McDonald never attempted to search Oswald, he went right for the waistband. That's not the way police are trained search someone, but that's exactly what you'd do if you were going to plant a weapon.

I know how desperate you are to convict your precious blood-thirsty assassin and cop-killer, ( "I got me a President and a cop and I'll get two more" ) but read the testimony and learn something.

Gil I appreciate your work and research and it's not my imagination saying this.

Gil, thank you for positing the information as an alternative explanation of the "suspect's" actions.  Goodness knows the JFK assassination abounds with possible nuances related to a particular, previously hypothesized scenario - that heretofore, had been unthought of and/or not proposed.  As just one investigatory tool of many, I don't see the harm.  

2 hours ago, Steve Roe said:

Speaking of the patrons in the theater where's the list of people who were there that day? 

18 hours ago, Ron Ege said:

Gil, thank you for positing the information as an alternative explanation of the "suspect's" actions.  Goodness knows the JFK assassination abounds with possible nuances related to a particular, previously hypothesized scenario - that heretofore, had been unthought of and/or not proposed.  As just one investigatory tool of many, I don't see the harm.  

Thank you gentlemen for those comments. Usually, when the "Lone Nutters" of the world can't deal with an explanation that is completely possible, their only recourse is an attack on the messenger. That's what they do and they've been doing it since the Warren Report was first questioned.

And if Brewer was an unreliable witness, Julia Postal was even worse. I'll get into that train wreck in another thread.