The Education Forum

Would a Committee have made a Difference?

The J-6th Committee has me wondering, might a Congressional Committee at the time of JFK's Assassination have come to a different conclusion than the Warren Omission?

I know it was proposed then thwarted by LBJ with the WC at the suggestion of others.  If it had happened, would they have dug deeper?  

I also know we had the HSCA.  Also thwarted (E.G. Joannides), see The Last Investigation.  But they did conclude for posterity, a conspiracy.  Based on Mary Ferrell and Gary Mack's tape.  In spite of the questionable deaths of George DE Mohrenschildt, John Rosselli, Sam Giancana, seven top FBI agents at the time of the JFKA all within a year of the HSCA.  I digress, the Committee did surface much new important info at the time in spite of obstacles.

Might a House Committee on the JFKA have changed history.  Or would Dulles have controlled it too?

Thoughts?   

Edited by Ron Bulman

9 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

The J-6th Committee has me wondering, might Congressional Committee at the time of JFK's Assassination have come to a different conclusion than the Warren Omission?

I know it was proposed then thwarted by LBJ with the WC at the suggestion of others.  If it had happened, would they have dug deeper?  

I also know we had the HSCA.  Also thwarted (E.G. Joannides), see The Last Investigation.  But they did conclude for posterity, a conspiracy.  Based on Mary Ferrell and Gary Mack's tape.  In spite of the questionable deaths of George DE Mohrenschildt, John Rosselli, Sam Giancana, seven top FBI agents at the time of the JFKA all within a year of the HSCA.  I digress, the Committee did surface much new important info at the time in spite of obstacles.

Might a House Committee on the JFKA have changed history.  Or would Dulles have controlled it too?

Thoughts?   

Impossible. LBJ had an upcoming election and wanted it nip in the bud before then.

I realize this is hypothetical.  I know LBJ had an agenda.  If the House of Representatives had insisted on their own investigation, I feel sure the FBI and CIA would have had representatives in place to stonewall them.  Like Dulles on the WC and Joannides for the HSCA.  But I have to wonder if they might not have probed deeper into things like Oswald in Mexico City and New Orleans the summer before, Jack Ruby's mafia ties and motivation, the Tippit killing and more.  No way we'll ever know but I still wonder if some of the Congressmen were suspicious of the DPD/FBI lone nut conclusion. 

IMO:

Well, I would bet the odds were that a House Committee would have had at least 1 northern liberal on it.

That might have made a difference.

What would have made a difference is if a House Committee would have put the investigation in the hands of prosecutors instead of lawyers and the FBI.