The Education Forum

Zapruder frames 208-212 sprocket area are blacked out.

Does anyone have any idea why the sprockets of the zapruder film are blacked out for zframes 208-212?

My mind is assuming after reading SSA Kellerman's WC testimony, this is right about the time that JFK says his last words: "My God, I am hit"

Edited by Keyvan Shahrdar

35 minutes ago, Keyvan Shahrdar said:

Does anyone have any idea why the sprockets are of the zapruder film are blacked out for zframes 208-212?

My mind is assuming after reading SSA Kellerman's WC testimony, this is right about the time that JFK says his last words: "My God, I am hit"

My understanding is that these are the frames Life magazine inadvertently destroyed. So Life then had to go back to the FBI and CIA whom they had given early copies to and get the missing frames off them. But the problem was that the copies they had made for the FBI or CIA (i dont know which) didn't have the sprocket holes in them. As a result, when Life inserted those missing frames from the FBI or CIA (again i dont know which) into their own original version at Life magazine, those few frames don't have the sprocket holes in them.

So while Life could get back the 5 lost frames they had destroyed, they could not get back the sprocket holes of those 5 lost frames. 

17 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

My understanding is that these are the frames Life magazine inadvertently destroyed. So Life then had to go back to the FBI and CIA whom they had given early copies to and get the missing frames off them. But the problem was that the copies they had made for the FBI or CIA (i dont know which) didn't have the sprocket holes in them. As a result, when Life inserted those missing frames from the FBI or CIA (again i dont know which) into their own original version at Life magazine, those few frames don't have the sprocket holes in them.

So while Life could get back the 5 lost frames they had destroyed, they could not get back the sprocket holes of those 5 lost frames. 

The obvious questions is then: Why where those frames being inspected and why does frame 214 have a dot next to the sprocket area?

Not even.

Zapruder claims he filmed steadily the motorcade from corner of Elm and Houston to under the Third Street underpass....

But there is that stretch in the Z-film after the motorcade reaches Elm where the film stops and starts again, so to speak. 

Maybe Zapruder is mistaken. His finger slipped, what have you. But that has always bothered me. Those old-fashioned home movie cameras (I had a similar one) made a whirring noise when filming, even minor vibration felt through the handle. It was obvious when filming stopped.