The Education Forum

Home movie of Dealey Plaza after JFK assassination

The first video shows just how low the Stemmons freeway sign was. So low, a tall man could slice his head open if he walked into it. I wonder if this is why the Stemmons freeway sign was removed a few months after the assassination. With the increased foot traffic around the sign, the City of Dallas viewed the sign as a potential liability and had it removed for safety reasons.

Sign.png

It's out of the perpendicular, at the far end from this view. To my artist's eyes. As if some force acting from the west impacted it. Huh. Wonder how that happened.

I seem to recall somebody quite some time ago dug into the Stemmons Freeway sign removal, what became of it, even. Just now, I cannot find that research using the site search engine or Duck Duck Go. The sense of it was that the city said the Texas Department of Transportation made the change. And the DOT said it was the city. And, no, you may not examine it for yourself. Something like that.

Edited by George Govus
elaboration, clarity

21 minutes ago, George Govus said:

It's out of the perpendicular, at the far end from this view. To my artist's eyes. As if some force acting from the west impacted it. Huh. Wonder how that happened.

I seem to recall somebody quite some time ago dug into the Stemmons Freeway sign removal, what became of it, even. Just now, I cannot find that research using the site search engine or Duck Duck Go. The sense of it was that the city said the Texas Department of Transportation made the change. And the DOT said it was the city. And, no, you may not examine it for yourself. Something like that.

You could understand why the City of Dallas might not want to state why they removed the sign. It might result in copycat actors around Dallas walking in to signs on purpose in order to pry compensation money from the City. The fact that the City had already removed one such sign, and stated the reason they removed it was for safety reasons, would be proof in court the City knew such signs were dangerous making it easy for someone to claim compensation money if they walked into a sign elsewhere in the city. 

I don't know if this is the reason behind the signs removal and refusal to state why they removed it, but it is a relatively benign and logical explanation.