The Education Forum

NARA Photos of Walker Bullet-CE573?

1 hour ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Mark--

Thanks for the link.

Is there a next step?

Also, I have a run-of-the-mill five-year-old Mac. The NARA says something about the file being huge.  I guess I need an app to download the files?

What I am really looking for are the initials, on CE 573, which you have posted. 

Is there a shot of "N" initial? There was one posted on EF-JFK, but it did not look like an "N" that had been scratched with an awl. 

Also, there is tremendous difference in color in Michael Crane's photos. Just tone on film used? Or age of bullet? 

1 hour ago, Michael Crane said:

Can the General Walker shooting be directly, and legitimately, be connected  to Lee Oswald and the Mannlicher-Carcano carbine allegedly belonging to  Oswald? - Quora

MC-

Many thanks.

The color tone on your first and second photos is remarkably different. Had the bullet oxidized? The darker greener photo is of an older bullet? 

Even if there is an "N", we have no evidence proving it was placed on the bullet on the day of discovery. It could have been added at a later date to support the narrative. Has anyone seen a chain of custody for this bullet going back to the first person who handled it? WC procedures did not require that thorough of a trace. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

Even if there is an "N", we have no evidence proving it was placed on the bullet on the day of discovery. It could have been added at a later date to support the narrative. Has anyone seen a chain of custody for this bullet going back to the first person who handled it? WC procedures did not require that thorough of a trace. 

LS--

I am preparing an article for KennedysandKings. 

The FBI asked Patrolman Novell of the Dallas Police Department to ID a purported Walker bullet.

Rankin of the WC had issued a memo allowing evidence to be shown to the first person to have seen it, and only that person, to verify chain of evidence. (Tom Gram first noticed this). 

Novell had been on the DPD five months at the time of the Walker shooting, and then left the DPD and police work one month after the Walker shooting. 

Novell told the FBI he had found the true Walker bullet and put a "N" or a "BN" on the bullet before handing the slug to the crime scene team. 

Detective McElroy, 13-year veteran of the DPD, said he, McElroy, had found the bullet and gave it to the crime scene team--if true, meaning Novell never handled the Walker bullet. 

McElroy and detective Van Cleave authored and signed a police report on April 10 that the bullet at the Walker residence was "steel jacketed." This is notable as steel-jacketed bullets are a rarity, and copper-alloy jacketed bullets by far the norm. 

Why would two DPD detectives ID a bullet, at the attempted murder scene of a high-profile public figure, as "steel-jacketed"?

If in error, two DPD detectives would have examined critical evidence at an attempted murder scene, examined an obviously copper-jacketed bullet, and then both declared it to be a relatively uncommon steel-jacketed bullet. 

The WC Walker bullet, CE573, is very obviously a copper-jacketed bullet. 

The FBI in June 1964 had Novell ID a bullet that Novell had, at most, handled briefly 14 months earlier.  

Making accusations is always an unpleasant exercise. But an "N" could have been scratched on a mangled bullet and shown to the novice and former police officer Novell.

Or the original Walker bullet was shown to Novell, and he ID'ed it. The WC went ahead with their own, different CE573. 

The DPD sent seven Walker crime scene photos to the FBI, but none of the original Walker bullet. If there are such photos, they have disappeared. 

I am trying now to get an image of the "N" on CE573. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

19 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

The color tone on your first and second photos is remarkably different. Had the bullet oxidized? The darker greener photo is of an older bullet? 

Looks like light to me at a guess. The right hand photo is exposed to less light. The backing looks darker. It may be just the way the flash has caught the left hand one.

7 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

AO87k_HRLgNVhBt3rvJDZ9x20SmYPDcPqiKdUDz9

Yes, Ira Van Cleave evidently told the Austin paper, as well as The New York Times, that the bullet in the Walker home was a "30.06." I wish he was alive so we could ask him why he was sure of that ID. The WC never asked Val Cleave anything. 

DPD detectives Van Cleave and McElroy authored and signed an April 10 official police report that the bullet was "steel jacketed." 

As stated, steel jacketed bullets are much the oddity. 

The mangled CE 573, the WC's version of the Walker bullet, is very obviously a copper-jacketed bullet.

This one does not add up. 

Also, hard to tell, but it appears the Walker bullet came to rest exactly in between two bundled stacks of literature. In other words, no one had to "dig the bullet out" of the middle of a stack of bundled literature. 

Did Walker stage a shooting? Were the true perps in an automobile? 

19 minutes ago, Chris Barnard said:

Looks like light to me at a guess. The right hand photo is exposed to less light. The backing looks darker. It may be just the way the flash has caught the left hand one.

Maybe. I also suspect the darker bullet is a newer photograph, that is, of an older bullet that has oxidized more. Copper turns green and dark....

and when one couples the last minute discovery of the "walker note" the day before the FBI was to finalize its December 1963 report, there are well-founded suspicions surrounding the provenance of the "walker" bullet in the record. There is more than reasonable doubt that this is not the original bullet recovered by DPD.  The bullet was kept in an unsecured location in the Parkland lab for 8 months before it was needed for the assassination.

42 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Yes, Ira Van Cleave evidently told the Austin paper, as well as The New York Times, that the bullet in the Walker home was a "30.06." I wish he was alive so we could ask him why he was sure of that ID. The WC never asked Val Cleave anything.

Who says he was sure? How could he possibly have been? Do you believe anything you read in the papers?

44 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

DPD detectives Van Cleave and McElroy authored and signed an April 10 official police report that the bullet was "steel jacketed."

I wish we could go back in time and teach them the proper terminology.