The Education Forum

Walker Bullet Article in KennedysandKing

47 minutes ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

@Mark Ulrik are you referrfing to Steve Roe?  Didnt he write a piece last week or am i confusing this with anothe article?

I think the emphasis on "steel" flows from the FBI memo that indicates steel-jacketed bullets were often soft-nosed.

would it be more "humane" to kill with a FMJ to the head than to fire soft-nosed bullets that create so much damage but might not kill the animal.  As you probably suspect, I think killing animals for fun is immoral so I dont understand why its ok to use a bullet that is designed to maime as to opposed a FMJ that can create a "clean" kill.   A bit off topic but would like to understand better this view.     

I was, indeed, referring to Steve Roe. His latest piece was in response to an article by Greg Doudna.

I've never hunted a day in my life and have mixed feelings about the concept, but my father was a hunter. Albeit as far from the reckless, trigger-happy sort as you can imagine. He's not around anymore, though, so I asked ChatGPT instead why it is a bad idea to use FMJ ammo for deer hunting:

Using Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) ammunition for deer hunting is generally considered a bad idea for several reasons:

1) Lack of Expansion: FMJ bullets are designed to penetrate targets without expanding or deforming upon impact. This lack of expansion means that FMJ bullets often pass through the target without transferring a significant amount of energy. As a result, they may not deliver a quick, humane kill.

2) Over-Penetration: FMJ bullets have a higher tendency to over-penetrate, meaning they can pass through the target and potentially continue traveling with significant velocity. This poses a safety risk because the bullet may travel beyond the intended target and potentially cause unintended damage or injury.

3) Limited Tissue Damage: Due to their design, FMJ bullets typically create smaller wound channels and cause less tissue damage compared to hunting-specific bullets. Effective deer hunting requires a bullet that can deliver sufficient energy and create a broad wound channel, which is more likely to result in a quick and humane kill.

4) Legal and Ethical Concerns: Many states have regulations in place that require hunters to use ammunition specifically designed for hunting. These regulations are intended to promote ethical hunting practices and ensure the humane treatment of animals. Using FMJ ammunition for hunting may violate these regulations, leading to legal consequences.

For deer hunting, it is generally recommended to use ammunition specifically designed for hunting, such as soft-point or expanding bullets. These bullets are designed to expand upon impact, transferring energy to the target and creating a larger wound channel, which increases the chances of a clean and ethical kill. Always consult and comply with local hunting regulations to ensure you are using the appropriate ammunition for your specific hunting situation.

Edited by Mark Ulrik
Formating

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly dispositive, but interesting.

In newspaper-researching steel jacketed bullets, I came across several references to murders committed with a .25 calibre automatic pistols, using steel-jacketed ammo. 

Washington Evening Star, 4/2/51

Screen-Shot-2566-06-12-at-07-49-45.png

Why would anyone refer to "all rifle bullets" as "steel jacketed" but not "all pistol bullets"? 

I very much doubt this yet another "misnomer" or sloppy use of language. There are several references to steel-jacketed bullets fired from a .25 calibre automatic pistol in the literature.

I think the situation is clear: Game wardens, police, military, gun hobbyists, federal agents, target-range operators all distinguish the difference between steel- and copper-jacketed bullets, and have since at least WWII, but probably even before.  

When FBI'er Frazier said, "Some individuals" refer to all rifle bullets as steel jacketed, he was giving the best answer he could, under the circumstances. 

It may be somewhere there was one or two individuals referred to all rifle bullets as steel jacketed. "Some individuals" is a rather inclusive category.  Like everybody on the planet. 

From all that I can gather, all officials and private citizens who dealt with ammo knew and distinguished the difference steel-jacketed and copper-jacketed. 

The real question is, "Why did not the WC challenge Frazier's testimony?," or ask "Can you identify another high-profile murder case in which steel-jacketed and copper-jacketed bullets were treated interchangeably?"

The Book of Pistols & Revolvers: An Encyclopedic Reference Work

Walter Harold Black Smith · 1960 · ‎Snippet view
FOUND INSIDE – PAGE 604

STEEL JACKETED BULLET . Not common in America . Bullets having a soft steel jacket , often flash coated or plated with gilding metal to prevent rusting and reduce frictional resistance in the bore . 12. TRACER BULLET .

---30---

I see this over and over again in the literature. The steel-jacketed bullet is uncommon in the US in the 1960s (and up to the present day, although cheap imports fro Eastern Europe and Russia are evidently sold presently).

This highlights the question: Why would four Dallas Police Department officers mark and initial a slug on April 10, 1963, and call it "steel jacketed" ---when steel jackets were the uncommon type of jacketing (copper being the standard). 

Again, there is nothing steel-looking about Western Cartridge 6.5 ammo.

Edited by Benjamin Cole