The Education Forum

Loran Hall and the Carcano rifle

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading the forum for a couple of years now but this is my first time posting.

This article stood out to me a few years ago and I’m wondering if anyone knows if there was ever a follow up or more information regarding the Carcano rifle that Loran Hall gave to his stepsons, Jim and John Pappas, a few weeks after Kennedy was assassinated.  

Anyone have any theories as to why Hall would have the rifle, or could it just be a morbid souvenir that he picked up?

-Mike

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2021/10/07/a-florida-tie-to-the-jfk-assassination-shows-why-secret-records-need-releasing-column/?outputType=amp

On 7/19/2023 at 4:59 PM, Mike Aitken said:

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading the forum for a couple of years now but this is my first time posting.

This article stood out to me a few years ago and I’m wondering if anyone knows if there was ever a follow up or more information regarding the Carcano rifle that Loran Hall gave to his stepsons, Jim and John Pappas, a few weeks after Kennedy was assassinated.  

Anyone have any theories as to why Hall would have the rifle, or could it just be a morbid souvenir that he picked up?

-Mike

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2021/10/07/a-florida-tie-to-the-jfk-assassination-shows-why-secret-records-need-releasing-column/?outputType=amp

Hello Mike,

I can't really speak about Loren Hall and a Carcano. To tell you the truth, I hadn't heard that before, so I'll be sure to read the article you referenced.

In any case, I'm glad you're here and I hope you'll take an active part in the discussions.

Steve Thomas

On 7/19/2023 at 5:59 PM, Mike Aitken said:

-Mike

Check out either Quicks Hits or The Dallas Action on podcast. I believe past espisodes they've discussed Loren Hall. 

well, significant article because Hall, who hinted at knowing much more than he said, told his sons there were men on he Knoll. Also, if we want to hypothesize  - perhaps the gun he gave the kids was used to shoot at JFK, and then the other, that was found, was left there for evidence of that type of rifle being used. There are still some problems - bullet size - but in the scheme of things, the forensics were so cooked in this case that it probably did not matter.

• 10 months later...

The topic of Loran Hall’s possible involvement in the Kennedy assassination is brought up in this podcast, including discussion of the Carcano rifle that he gave to his stepson, John Pappas.

There is also some discussion of the 30-06 shell casing, owned by Robert Groden, that was allegedly found in the 70s on the roof of the Dallas County Records Building when they were replacing the roof.  

They go into the story of the Johnson 30-06 rifle that was owned by Hall and Gerry Patrick Hemming, and from what I remember from the podcast, Pappas believes there may be a connection to the shell found on the roof.

Rob Clark shows a couple of pictures of the shell from his phone during the podcast…does anyone have or know where to find photos of the shell found on the roof?