The Education Forum

The Kennedy Dynasty - German 2023 Documentary

Bill Fite

I just watched The Kennedy Dynasty on Arte.  The credits say that it is a German documentary from 2023.

The mighty American political dynasty played a major role in twentieth century America. This is the story of nine siblings who lived truly remarkable lives touched by greatness as well as tragedy.

I found it a very interesting 90 minutes.

Here's the link, if anyone is interested, to it on Arte.tv (the Franco German cultural channel).  Unfortunately, this is the last day it's available and if you are in the US you will probably need a VPN connection to watch it.  It is in English by the way.

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/112560-000-A/the-kennedy-dynasty/

It covers the 3 generations from JFK's grandparents to his siblings.

Interestingly, it's not JFK who is given most credit for lasting changes in the end.

Edited by Bill Fite
punctuation & added blurb from site

I cannot see it.

But I always have to ask this question:  What dynasty?

If a guy is president for less than three years, how is that a dynasty?   I mean outside of Joan Collins.

The whole point of this forum and this area of exploration is that its pretty clear the the Powers That  Be did not want a dynasty and took lethal measures  to be sure it would not happen.

20 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I cannot see it.

But I always have to ask this question:  What dynasty?

If a guy is president for less than three years, how is that a dynasty?   I mean outside of Joan Collins.

The whole point of this forum and this area of exploration is that its pretty clear the the Powers That  Be did not want a dynasty and took lethal measures  to be sure it would not happen.

Hi - the last day on Arte was yesterday.

The main idea of the 'dynasty' was that family dynasties last for only 3 generations.  So from JFK / RFK siblings back 2 generations to their grandparents.  The 4th generation isn't part of it and goes off in their own directions.  The Bush family was brought up as another example.

So the documentary follows those 3 generations - primarily focusing on the last set of siblings.  It was pretty interesting and covered a lot of history that I didn't know.  JFK's first trip to Ireland to the family house & was really quite informative about Eunice and her contributions to handicap rights and the special olympics.  Had quite a lot of info about the sisters and their lives.

Edited by Bill Fite
add comment about sisters

Thanks Bill.

Eunice Shriver was one of the motivators for JFK's War on Poverty.