The Education Forum

Any regrets or missed opportunities regarding witnesses and evidence?

Mike Aitken

3 hours ago, Paul Harris said:

Ok, I'll add my two cents. Back in the 80's & 90's I was an insurance investigator. I got a minor assignment to interview  an elderly woman who had fallen at a restaurant here in San Antonio.  Typically called "slip and fall claim" in the business.  I called her and introduced myself and told her I needed to ask her some questions about the incident and get her version of what occurred.  She said that was fine but she wanted to meet with me in person, rather than do it over the phone. I suggested we meet at the restaurant.  When she she arrived she was dressed very nicely and had either her daughter or granddaughter with her. I pulled out my small recorder and told her we record the conversation to insure accuracy.  She didn't object. But before we started, she said something that haunts me to this day. She said in her younger years she had a job were she also took statements. I asked what she did. She said she worked for the Federal Government for the Immigration Department in Brownsville,Tx. The FBI also had an office in the building.  One day a FBI agent asked her to come down to their office to write down in steno the statements of two men that were just arrested for trying to run illegal guns into Mexico.  She said the two men were Lee Harvey Oswald and "that man that shot Judge John Wood", who was of course Charles Harrelson. Although she was elderly, about 80, she was very intelligent and lucid, and I had no reason not to believe her story.

Wow! What a story!

One of the many interesting characters in the JFKA was Richard Case Nagell. I had no idea he lived in Los Angeles in the 90s,  the  same time that I did and I knew the  area where it was reported that he had lived. It would have been interesting to knock on his door and see if he would have spoken with me. It's my guess that his tapes and other items were likely compromised while he was still alive.

The other very interesting character was Claude Capehart, who according to his girlfriend, admitted to being in the school book depository. Now Capehart is linked to the Glomar Explorer and the CIA. I had read an article in Jim D's Probe journal and it discussed a local judge and sheriff up in the Fresno area in California. Apparently there was a copy of Capehart drivers license, but the sheriff wasn't able to find it. When I called up there a couple of decades ago and spoke with the sheriff, he told me I was the second guy who inquired about it and if he ever found it, he would give me a call. Well, I never did receive that phone call. It would've been interesting to see what photographs were published by the HSCA in 1976 or 77 in the Fresno Newspaper that caused Capehart to panic and tell the story to his girlfriend. I think Capehart's information would've been even more interesting than Nagell's....