The Education Forum

The Toxic Tag and the Argentine Mauser

Tony Krome

@Tony Krome

You make some very good points Tony - thanks.  I'd like to add some more support to your theory.

First - this is a close up of the Rifle DAY carries from the building and the rifle in evidence with the only photo of the caliber stamp in existence.
There is no caliber stamp on the rifle DAY has.

774675865_Allen-DayandrifleVERYlargeandclear-coparingCALstamptoTSBDrifle-notthere.jpg.3cf599cca9e7d85f79211ba83675db0c.jpg

This compares an actual 7.35 stamped Argentine Mauser with the rifle in evidence

1931760820_CalibredesignationonCE139hasa3-6.5doesnothavea3-smaller.jpg.80ed2e22e5075cb9d699fd19e21ca078.jpg

Finally, and as you show in your graphic, the stamp for the 7.65/7.35 is on the top of the rifle barrel and would be covered by a mounted scope.   The MAUSER concept actually originates from the fact that NO CLIP WAS FOUND and Mauser's use STRIPPER CLIPS which are discarded.  No CLIP would eject before or after the last bullet is fired.

2024736474_StripperCliploadingtheMAUSERandtheCarcanoClipsystem-ScopecoversMAUSERstamp-smaller.thumb.jpg.28e29d1cbb6a870dcb209af84e9226b8.jpg

What does the STAR witness say about the rifle he sees?

1637759146_Brennanisfullofit.jpg.ae860e230512ce55e9731b1287bfde6d.jpg

And finally - a report out of William HARVEY's station in ROME which was conveniently hidden away.

For those wanting to dive deeper I have a few articles at K&K as well as the 2019 CAPA presentational slides.

5a9aca5c6f2c1_63-12-31REPORTOUTOFITALYDISCREDITSTHERIFLEIDANDCE1391OF3.thumb.png.10998341dfc0343c67db90ecb0a58617.png

And as one final nail in this coffin - this is the ITALIAN shipping manifest for that carton of 10 rifles which FELDSOTT bought.  

That says C 2 7 6 5    Not "6" as the third letter is obviously the "6".

Between RIVA and RUPP, serial #'s were removed from rifles.  Cummings company shipped a "2766" in their order of 40" FC rifles

1293419874_CE1977-ShippingmanifestfromItalyshows2765andno-C-prefix.jpg.8ebca34def00091a0868f9608fdf024b.jpg

4 hours ago, David Josephs said:

mounted scope.

Hi David, and thanks for the reply. One thing we have shown is that the Argentine Mauser exists with barrel/receiver stamps, in my case, an importer stamp over a scrubbed crest.

So you got me thinking about the mounts, in particular, on the receiver.

Well, the importer stamps differ in location, and who knows what else is out there to be found. Below are examples;

First to find an Argentine Mauser Receiver mount that allows the viewer to make out the stamp wins the prize. 

argentine-mauser-importer-stamp-diff.png

Edited by Tony Krome

If this mount pictured below, was tapped & drilled further back, an importer's stamp may well be visible on the top surface of the receiver, with a scope attached. See if I can find an Importer's stamp closer to the barrel. (now see photo below this post)

argentine-mauser-mount-stamp-position.pn

Edited by Tony Krome

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, David Josephs said:

Thanks for great replies Tony.  

Have you matched years with the stamps being either on the side or on the top?

Your photos are of the 1933 Argentine Mauser?

I've been looking at the 1891 Argentine Mauser with its distinctive importer's stamping "7.65mm Mauser" on the receiver. There's quite a few different longitudal locations for this receiver stamp, but I'm yet to find one on the side. The years seem to be early 1960s when they were imported into a few latin American countries with scrubbed receivers, which was an official requirement to carry out before export from Argentina. The few that exist with the original unscrubbed crest on the receiver are apparently very collectible.The 1891 model differs in stamping from the model you discovered, which shows the white letters.