The Education Forum

The Conundrum of LHO's Intellect

Whatever his flaws, was LHO an intelligent fellow?

There have been some JFKA researchers who have disparaged LHO's intelligence and writing skills.  And to be sure, LHO lacked a college education, and was youthful--how many of us would like our first-draft writings on world events, from when we were 22 years of age, to be subject to public review? 

But LHO often impressed highly intelligent associates and others as also very intelligent. 

For example, see FBI Interview of JOHN E. DONOVAN, Former U.S. Marine Corps Section Commander of LEE HARVEY OSWALD During the Period March, 1959, to September, 1959:

"DONOVAN believed OSWALD had a very high IQ, was a self-educated man and well read, especially in the fields of political world affairs. DONOVAN said that OSWALD thus presented the anomaly of a 20 year old Marine Corps Private with an extensive knowledge and maturing interest in world affairs and politics."

"DONOVAN mentioned that in slack periods, OSWALD rarely associated with other members of the crew, spent time reading history books, magazines and a Russian newspaper, name urknown. OSVAID also studied the Russian language."

That hardly sounds like the base dunce. 

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Civil Actions/JFK Appeals FOIA Chrono/Folder 22 10-26-78/22-08.pdf

Then we have Ernst Titovets, described thusly: "Dr. Ernst Titovets, M.D., Ph.D., born in 1939, since 2005 has been head of the Scientific Research Group, at the National Research and Clinical Center for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Minsk in Belarus. He has authored or co-authored more than 190 scientific papers and 17 patents."

Titovets and LHO became friends in Russia, spending hours making voice recordings.  "In their spare time, they together explored girls and romance, with joint trips for dances and other amusements, including shared interest in music, books, and hikes in the countryside."

One might surmise an intellect like Titovets would grow bored with a more prosaic mind. 

Then we have George De Mohrenschildt. A slippery character to be sure, but also a fellow who painted some watercolors that made a splash in NYC art scene, and explored for oil, and was well-educated, even worldly. And possibly a spy for Nazis in the WWII era, but let that go. 

George De described LHO this way in his manuscript on LHO: 

"And then entered Lee HarveyOswald who was to become so famous or so infamous. He wore overalls and had on clean workingman’s shoes. Only someone who had never met Lee could have called him insignificant. “

"There is something outstanding about this man,” I told myself. One could detect immediately a very sincere and forward man. Although he was average-looking, with no outstanding features and of medium size, he showed in his conversation all the elements of concentration, thought and toughness. This man had the courage of his convictions and did not hesitate to discuss them."

---30---

(It should be noted De Mohrenschildt told the WC he regarded LHO as a "semi-educated hillbilly." That was when he was trying to distance himself for the dead but accused LHO).  

Of course it known that LHO, while in New Orleans, checked out many substantial books from the local library, and Marina Oswald said of him that he was always reading. He liked to play chess. 

In sum, one would have to conclude that LHO, whatever his shortcomings, had a fair degree of intelligence about him, which was noted by his superiors and accomplished friends. 

What is the upshot of this? Perhaps nothing. 

But the media conceit that LHO was just a not-too-bright leftie, loner, loser would never be tabbed by an intel agency for work is likely well off-base.

LHO was certainly smart enough to have been of use to an intel agency. LHO's supposedly erratic personality is hardly more unstable than any number of CIA assets or officers of record, such as David Ferry, or Bill Harvey. 

There were literally thousands of intel agency assets in the US and Cuba in the first half of the 1960s, due to the Cuban situation. 

LHO certainly had the capability to be one. 

On 1/17/2024 at 2:52 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

"DONOVAN believed OSWALD had a very high IQ, was a self-educated man and well read, especially in the fields of political world affairs. DONOVAN said that OSWALD thus presented the anomaly of a 20 year old Marine Corps Private with an extensive knowledge and maturing interest in world affairs and politics."

This is why it's credible LHO could have been used in some low level intelligence operation at the Queen Bee. Then when LHO defected to Russia, ONI covered this up out of embarrassment. The interesting thing is that LHO may have told the Russians about the Queen Bee operation and so it's possible this info could yet come out from the Russians.

Edited by Gerry Down
Spelling

On 1/17/2024 at 2:52 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

Of course it known that LHO, while in New Orleans, checked out many substantial books from the local library, and Marina Oswald said of him that he was always reading. He liked to play chess. 

Oswald only played chess in the marines though I think. I don't think there is any record of him playing chess once he arrived in the US in June 1962.

4 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

Oswald only played chess in the marines though I think. I don't think there is any record of him playing chess once he arrived in the US in June 1962.

That may be. I said he liked to play chess. There may have been a shortage of chess players in Texas. Just a guess. 

20 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

I wonder why LHO wasn't smart enough to simply say nothing during the dpd interrogations. He seemed to do alot of needless talking which is generally not advised without a lawyer present. 

Some say he was signaling handlers. In a way, he said nothing. 

We are talking about a 24-year-old guy caught in a horrific situation. His interviewers described him as rude, but collected. 

If my guess is correct, he was in a bind. He was part of a false flag op gone terribly wrong. Now what to do? 

He was waiting for legal counsel, but I guess he wanted a big name lawyer.  

On 1/18/2024 at 7:22 PM, Gerry Down said:

I wonder why LHO wasn't smart enough to simply say nothing during the dpd interrogations. He seemed to do alot of needless talking which is generally not advised without a lawyer present. 

LHO was asking for legal representation. That was part of the problem. There were no MIranda rights back then.  

I think LHO was smart enough to be  observed by intelligence agencies of at least three countries (US, USSR and Cuba) but when he was arrested in Dallas I think he began to realize he may have outsmarted himself...