The Education Forum

On the Question of Herminio Diaz Garcia as a Shooter in Dealey . . .

Hank Albarelli <hankalbarelli>

Jan 16, 2019, 5:07 AM

to me, A

FYI 

Date: January 16, 2019 at 7:06:54 AM EST
To: dick
Subject: Note to Angleton

There’s a very interesting post-assassination note to Angleton from Lafitte (this from you [sic] the Angleton family member) that points up two things: there was an assassin referred to as “Ostrich” that Lafitte agrees w/ Angleton as being very good (but seemingly not used in Dallas); and Lafitte agrees with Angleton on the merits of having not used Cubans in “direct capacities.”  I [sic] pretty certain I know who Ostrich is/was but will only say once I’m absolutely there. [Ludwig Nebel]

sharp <lesliemsharp17>

Jan 16, 2019, 11:47 AM

to Alan, Hank
cleardot.gif

It is indeed.  I wonder if the comment warrants a prominent place - perhaps very early in the book.

Alan Kent <alanlkent>

Wed, Jan 16, 2019, 11:56 AM

to Hank, me
cleardot.gif
I don't know where it ideally belongs, but it would be a very effective answer to the inevitable questions about the Cuban shooters who populate a great many scenarios. And "direct capacities" implies to me that Cubans may have been utilized in "other capacities," which I believe that a small number were. 

sharp <lesliemsharp17>

Jan 16, 2019, 12:14 PM

to Alan, Hank

Hank and I had a similar discussion by phone this morning.  

But I don't know that we can leap from "having no direct capacities"  to "may have been utilized in 'other capacities,'" at least not if we are relying on evidence from Lafitte and or Angleton.  The Cubans were working for the CIA, no doubt, but does that mean they were involved in the assassination of Kennedy.  I realize that tomes have been written on the topic, which makes this exchange between Lafitte and Angleton all the more explosive ... ergo a fairly prominent place in the book.    

I have frequently argued that in the end, the Cubans were used as patsies. Hank makes a strong argument that Cubans could not be trusted.   

leslie sharp <lesliemsharp17>

Jan 16, 2019, 1:37 PM

to Hank, Alan
cleardot.gif

I said 'huge', because it indicates to me at least that Cubans were hardly instrumental in the assassination, contrary to what many researchers have argued .  It is also huge if it can be determined that Lafitte / Angleton did not employ any Cubans - at all - in any capacity - in the operation.  

Alan makes a sound argument that Cubans may have been used in 'other capacities' in his monograph about Umbrella Man and Radio Guy, among others, but if those characters haven't surfaced in any Lafitte material, the claim that Cubans were on the ground will need to come from other sources.  Alan, I haven't read your work in that area for a month or so.  I'll revisit it in light of this new development.  I do remember being impressed by the logic and by the conclusions, but now I have to ask, why didn't those characters surface in Lafitte's writings, particularly when he actually referenced 'Cubans' not being utilized in a 'direct capacity'?  Could it be he wasn't privy to them being used?

Hank Albarelli 

Wed, Jan 16, 2019, 12:30 PM

to me, A

When I worked at the White House I was told by a Cuban “leader” to never trust a Cuban with anything you don’t want known or much else. Filed it away in my head. Andreas hated JFK as he blamed him for having killed his parents. 

Wed, Jan 16, 2019, 2:41 PM

to me, Alan
cleardot.gif

I think it’s important to consider that Lafitte, Angleton, and Harvey shared a cultural bias against Cubans... obviously they stuck with “their own” — Americans, French, Italian, Jews/Israelis, a few others. QJ/WIN no Cubans... worth thinking about... 

Alan to Hank, me

I think that point is important - and the ethnic bias in favor of "their own" plays into this. They believed that the Cubans talked too much, and probably that half of the radical Cuban community was infiltrated by Castro's G-2. Another, complementary point, is that using Cubans as gunmen in Dallas would have been far more dangerous than using white men who spoke multiple languages. A greater chance that a person of color would be noticeable at that time and place.

Jan 16, 2019, 5:06 PM

to A, me

Great points! 

Edited by Leslie Sharp

Leslie - would you post the note from Lafitte to Angleton and the source? Needless to say that is explosive. 

On 1/26/2024 at 8:58 AM, Paul Brancato said:

Leslie - would you post the note from Lafitte to Angleton and the source? Needless to say that is explosive. 

Paul, it's the first email in the chain. If you're asking for the original, those documents appear to be missing or "unavailable" for now.  Efforts are underway.

It also should be emphasized that Lafitte and Angleton are reflecting on an international assassin as well which should be of interest to those who recognize the significance.

And yes, it was explosive at first reading; and more concerning as time goes on, Hank fell seriously ill within forty+ hours of sharing what he had recently taken possession of. 

Date: January 16, 2019 at 7:06:54 AM EST
To: dick
Subject: Note to Angleton

There’s a very interesting post-assassination note to Angleton from Lafitte (this from you [sic] the Angleton family member) that points up two things: there was an assassin referred to as “Ostrich” that Lafitte agrees w/ Angleton as being very good (but seemingly not used in Dallas); and Lafitte agrees with Angleton on the merits of having not used Cubans in “direct capacities.”  I [sic] pretty certain I know who Ostrich is/was but will only say once I’m absolutely there. [Ludwig Nebel]

Edited by Leslie Sharp

Leslie - where did the document in question originate? This thread starts with an Albarelli email to you and Alan kent about this document in which he writes in parentheses “this from you (sic) the Angleton family member’ as if to identify the origin of the document. Who is ‘you’ referring to? What does ‘sic’ mean here? Did Hank write that? Who is the Angleton family member? Why is the document no longer available?
I’m sure this all brings back sad memories for you, occurring as it did right before Hank fell ill. 

6 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Leslie - where did the document in question originate? This thread starts with an Albarelli email to you and Alan kent about this document in which he writes in parentheses “this from you (sic) the Angleton family member’ as if to identify the origin of the document. Who is ‘you’ referring to? What does ‘sic’ mean here? Did Hank write that? Who is the Angleton family member? Why is the document no longer available?
I’m sure this all brings back sad memories for you, occurring as it did right before Hank fell ill. 

the "you" is a typo ergo the [sic].   I'm concerned it might not be available but as I said, efforts are underway.

Hank did not anticipate passing suddenly; in fact he talked about having another decade at least so he continued to protect his sources. Coup was and is a work in progress.  I've been far more transparent on this forum than he would have been because at this juncture I know it's my responsibility to balance his obligations with my own strong belief that the facts of the assassination belong in the public domain.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

On 1/31/2024 at 1:26 PM, Leslie Sharp said:

the "you" is a typo ergo the [sic].   I'm concerned it might not be available but as I said, efforts are underway.

Hank did not anticipate passing suddenly; in fact he talked about having another decade at least so he continued to protect his sources. Coup was and is a work in progress.  I've been far more transparent on this forum than he would have been because at this juncture I know it's my responsibility to balance his obligations with my own strong belief that the facts of the assassination belong in the public domain.

Glad you feel that way.  I do too.  The Angleton - Laffite direct connection is very interesting.  I know it is a result of George Hunter White's recommendation to Gottlieb and JJA.  I still find GHW tripping with JJA in the 1950's fascinating.  I know I've used this video in another thread recently, but it seems appropriate.

https://youtu.be/OJBQwOIMzDQ