The Education Forum

Politico says JFK saved the world.

Jeff Greenfield:

The moves persuaded Martin Luther King’s father to switch his endorsement from Nixon to JFK, proclaiming, “I’ve got a suitcase full of votes” he would deliver for Kennedy. (King Sr. had previously opposed JFK on religious grounds, leading Kennedy to say: “Imagine King’s father a bigot. Well,” he added in reference to his own father’s antisemitism, “we all have our fathers.”) The Kennedy campaign, along with civil rights organizations, publicized Kennedy’s actions with leaflets and newspaper ads throughout Black communities.

Did that make a decisive difference? It certainly seems likely. The final vote tally separating Kennedy and Nixon was astonishingly close. More than 68 million voters turned out in 1960, one of the highest rates in modern history. Kennedy’s official plurality in the popular vote was 112,827 — about one-tenth of 1 percent of the vote.

UNQUOTE

There is only one problem with above. There is absolutely NO ACADEMIC STUDY OR EVIDENCE that the black vote was critical to John F. Kennedy winning the general election. This is just something that popped out of the mouth of Harris Wofford.

I read a book once by a Nixon apologist who made a very strong argument that was the case. No proof at all; just a declaration by Harris Wofford who wanted to glorify his own efforts for JFK. There was no tidal wave of black voters for JFK in 1960. As far as I know the GOP and the Democrats split them 50-50.

9 hours ago, Robert Burrows said:

Thanks for this Robert.  It's great to see something like this in the MSM.  Not that many people in the US, much less the world realize the last part, about the Soviet tactical nuke's already in Cuba, nor the commander's authorization to use them.

Many, in the last 20-30 years, still not enough (it's certainly not in the history books), myself included, have come to realize if we had invaded Cuba or even just done a surgical strike of the missile sites, Nuclear War with the USSR might well have ensued.  Most of that many realize JFK's blockade avoided the closest we came to that in the history of the Cold War, a scarry time for all concerned indeed.

I think fewer still though know about the tactical nukes.  If we had invaded these would have destroyed our forces.  We would have reacted, the Soviets would have reacted.  So we might say JFK saved us twice in one action.

Yes, this latest Jeff Greenfield Politico piece on JFK/Nixon/WWIII is pretty good. And now it is time to point out that Jeff Greenfield is a Lone Nutter, which seems to be a requirement to be published in major mainstream corporate media.

Jim DiEugenio on Greenfield:

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-reviews/548

This takes us up to about the end of Chapter 2. And even at this early point in the book, any responsible reviewer has to note some odd choices Greenfield made. In the author's introduction to the book, remembering who Greenfield is and was, he says two predictable things about what will follow. First, he finds the case against Oswald to be compelling. Remember, this is a Yale Law School graduate saying this. Secondly, he is not going to be writing a hagiography about the Kennedys. These two qualifications clearly mark the book throughout. And the first one seriously discolors the opening two chapters.

For instance, although Greenfield's version of Oswald, like the real Oswald, never had a trial, its pretty clear where Mr. MSM stands on that issue. In his discussion of the Women's Center or the Trade Mart as Kennedy's ultimate speaking destination that day, he writes that if the former had been chosen, there would have been no sixth floor sniper. The author has Oswald also killing Officer Tippit. At the Texas Theater, Greenfield has Oswald pulling a gun before he is killed by Officer McDonald. As more than one commentator has demonstrated, including Gil DeJesus, this whole scenario, with Oswald trying to take a shot at a policeman, was very likely manufactured by the Dallas Police to make Oswald appear like a belligerent defendant who was capable of killing someone.

UNQUOTE

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Thanks for this Robert.  It's great to see something like this in the MSM.  Not that many people in the US, much less the world realize the last part, about the Soviet tactical nuke's already in Cuba, nor the commander's authorization to use them.

Many, in the last 20-30 years, still not enough (it's certainly not in the history books), myself included, have come to realize if we had invaded Cuba or even just done a surgical strike of the missile sites, Nuclear War with the USSR might well have ensued.  Most of that many realize JFK's blockade avoided the closest we came to that in the history of the Cold War, a scarry time for all concerned indeed.

I think fewer still though know about the tactical nukes.  If we had invaded these would have destroyed our forces.  We would have reacted, the Soviets would have reacted.  So we might say JFK saved us twice in one action.