The Education Forum

Give Peace A Chance

3 hours ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

I can tell you if I would address one of the generation of my parents or grandparents as "Herr".... o boy, I´d be in trouble!!! It´s the same in a bunch of other european countries (e.g. the Netherlands, France,...) outside Germany that is...  It also has also been ridiculed in English comedy shows, films, etc e.g. "Herr Flick, officer of the gestapo." 

In general, addressing someone in/like/as German in Belgium still raises eyebrows, especially the older generation.  

During WW2 often Belgians did not know the names of German military rangs, now... it´s better to be safe than sorry..., so they would call them "Herr".  Well, that´s what my parents told me.

I know it has been a long time, but it´s still very sensative to call someone German whe he/she isn´t, or outside a normal context.  

No problem in addressing one in a formal way in Germany.  Just not in some neighbouring countries outside Germany.

Thanks for the info, Jean.

My father spent the prime of his youth with Antifa--fighting the Nazis, (in the U.S. 753rd Tank Battalion) from North Africa to Italy, France, and Bavaria, but I don't think he had an opportunity to learn some of these neighborly Belgian niceties.

The Third Reich surrendered exactly four days after my father's 23rd birthday.

Below: The U.S. 753rd Tank Battalion lands in southern France in Operation Dragoon (August 1, 1944)753rd-tank-battalion-near-st-raphael-sou

Edited by W. Niederhut

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

You know, you might be the only person in all of Denmark named Mark Ulrik!  (The website says "less than 3.")

Ulrik is very rare, with only 117 in Denmark.

I'm the only "pure" MU as far as I know. The others only have Ulrik as middle name (as in Mark Ulrik Jensen).

15 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

My father spent the prime of his youth with Antifa--fighting the Nazis, (in the U.S. 753rd Tank Battalion) from North Africa to Italy, France, and Bavaria, but I don't think he had an opportunity to learn some of these neighborly Belgian niceties.

One can only hope that he had the good sense not to address the non-Germans with "Herr ..."

Mark,

On this ad hominem note, what was your father's role in WWII?

Was he also Antifa?

Give peace a chance? Laughable. Man himself is incapable of achieving peace. It's not in his wheelhouse.

"Our problems are manmade--therefore, they can be solved by man." 

How's that proved out?

Good luck finding peace. Here comes the iceberg. 

https://youtu.be/BDSkoYfNrwg?si=MyCyfbdPVsAW_4QF

Edited by Robert Burrows

43 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Mark,

On this ad hominem note, what was your father's role in WWII?

Was he also Antifa?

Danish resistance.

Oh no, did I hurt your feelings? I thought you enjoyed lighthearted banter.

11 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Danish resistance.

Oh no, did I hurt your feelings? I thought you enjoyed lighthearted banter.

Hurt?  Don't flatter yourself, Mark. 

I never left a football game in my life, even after cracking my helmet once while tackling a big, fat fullback.

But, getting back to the subject of peace and the JFKA, are you still in the LN camp?

If so, that would, certainly, explain your efforts to downplay the evidence of murdered JFKA witnesses.

No need to murder witnesses if Oswald was a Lone Nut, eh?