The Education Forum

Carpenter Film? New JFK Film on North Stimmons

Brian Scantland

• Brian Scantland changed the title to Carpenter Film? New JFK Film on North Stimmons
1 hour ago, Kevin Balch said:

What is the object protruding above the rear seat behind Clint Hill? Is it Clint Hill’s foot or JFK’s or something else?

It's Clint Hill's foot hooked over the right side of the Presidential limousine. And I can't really understand why this matter has been such a disputed one over the years, since at least one other photograph exists (the top picture below) that provably depicts that very thing occurring (i.e., Secret Service Agent Hill's right foot hanging over the side of the car).

Click to enlarge:

JFK-Limousine-On-Way-To-Hospital-11-22-63.jpg

Miller-Photo.jpg

Frame-From-Carpenter-Film.png

Edited by David Von Pein

3 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

It's Clint Hill's foot hooked over the right side of the Presidential limousine. And I can't really understand why this matter has been such a disputed one over the years, since at least one other photograph exists (the top picture below) that provably depicts that very thing occurring (i.e., Secret Service Agent Hill's right foot hanging over the side of the car).

Click to enlarge:

JFK-Limousine-On-Way-To-Hospital-11-22-63.jpg

Miller-Photo.jpg

Frame-From-Carpenter-Film.png

We've been over this. It's Hill's left foot hanging over the side. The middle photo has been re-touched to make it look like JFK's foot, but it was almost certainly Hill's left foot. 

33 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

No. It's almost certainly Hill's right foot. Not his left.

You surely don't think Hill has his LEFT foot dangling over the side of the car in this photo below, do you Pat?

JFK-Limousine-On-Way-To-Hospital-11-22-6

If you look at the unretouched Miller photo published in the Sat Post you will see what appears to be a left foot, not a right foot dangling over the edge of the back seat compartment.  I believe it was Bill Miller who tried to replicate Hill's position in the photo, moreover, and found it could not be done with the right foot dangling over the right side of the compartment. 

image.png.7d3bac22e4134908170e85d7fe7286bb.png

Edited by Pat Speer

2 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

If you look at the unretouched Miller photo published in the Sat Post you will see what appears to be a left foot, not a right foot dangling over the edge of the back seat compartment.  I believe it was Bill Miller who tried to replicate Hill's position in the photo, moreover, and found it could not be done with the right foot dangling over the right side of the compartment. 

But don't you think it's odd that Clint Hill would have switched from having his right foot over the side at one point during the frantic drive to Parkland (which is certainly what we see in the picture below) to having his left foot outside the car at another point during that journey?

Quite obviously, this "Which Foot Was It?" question is totally unimportant. But it does provide us with yet another topic of meaningless JFKA fodder to chew on.

At least we agree on the conclusion that it is a foot belonging to Mr. Hill. SMILE-ICON.gif

Edited by David Von Pein

3 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

But don't you think it's odd that Clint Hill would have switched from having his right foot over the side at one point during the frantic drive to Parkland (which is certainly what we see in the picture below) to having his left foot outside the car at another point during that journey?

Quite obviously, this "Which Foot Was It?" question is totally unimportant. But it does provide us with yet another topic of meaningless JFKA fodder to chew on.

At least we agree on the conclusion that it is a foot belonging to Mr. Hill. SMILE-ICON.gif

As you. may very well remember, this was something widely discussed almost 20 years ago. I noticed that the foot had been retouched on the published photo and couldn't tell what it actually was. Jack White thought it was a hand. HIll's positioning in the Miller photo convinced me it couldn't be his right foot. But Bill Miller convinced me it was his left foot. In the photo above, HIll's left foot is unseen, but is presumably hooked over the side of the limo by the passenger compartment. His right foot, which is seen, is over the side by the trunk. If he picked up that foot and pulled his right knee to his chest it would account for his appearance in the Miller photo. Or so I think today. Tomorrow could be different. 

7 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

In the photo above, Hill's left foot is unseen, but is presumably hooked over the side of the limo by the passenger compartment. His right foot, which is seen, is over the side by the trunk.

FWIW, Clint Hill said this in his WC testimony [emphasis by DVP]:

Mr. HILL -- "I had my body above the rear seat, and my legs hooked down into the rear seat, one foot outside the car."

Edited by David Von Pein

1 hour ago, Andrej Stancak said:

Some frames of Carpenter's film, e.g. those showing limo's front window, could be of importance if the film could be presented as a high-resolution digital copy.

I agree. Also, the truck could be instructive.

I hope high resolution frames are made available.