The Education Forum

Jake Esterline

Tim Gratz

Regarding my Post #3 on this thread, I started a new topic re Lucius Conien, a man with an interesting career who, according to Gerry Hemming, handled funds for the JFK assassination.

I am in the process of doing a page on Conien. If any members have any information on him please post it on the Forum.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3143

I must admit that I am having a hard time getting my head around this (not being a rocket scientist to begin with). If Veciana was trying to protect Esterline, why mention it at all?

The question then begs, what was the relationship between Esterline and Veciana?

I do believe it was Bishop/Phillips but it is possible that Veciana saw the LHO imposter? Pondering that possibility certainly offers some new perspective.

My understanding is that Antonio Veciana told Gaeton Fonzi that Maurice Bishop was CIA and was involved with Lee Harvey Oswald. It was Richard Schweiker (based on the evidence of the drawing) who first said it was Phillips. Fonzi later agreed to this assessment (although, according to Fonzi, Veciana never confirmed this).

What therefore was Veciana up to when he made this statement? In my view he was trying to implicate the CIA in the assassination of JFK (that is not to say he was not telling the truth). At the same time he was frightened of the CIA and was not willing to name Bishop.

As I have said on another thread this morning, the CIA was not a united organization. In fact there was a lot of bad feeling between the Ivy League leadership (Dulles, Wisner, Bissell, Barnes, FitzGerald) and those who considered themselves as efficient professionals (Hunt, Harvey, Robertson, Droller, Cronien). These two groups were divided by class and politics. Although they all shared a hatred of communism, they had very different views on domestic issues. The liberals also had a vision of a democratic world. That is why they eventually believed that the coup in Guatemala was a failure. It is also why I believe that the Ivy League group had nothing at all to do with the assassination of JFK. I also think it helps explain why the CIA began briefing against Harvey in 1967.

Therefore I agree that if Oswald was a CIA agent, those who knew it, would not have used him as a patsy. That is why I believe the identification of Maurice Bishop is important. If Antonio Veciana is telling the truth, than Bishop was not involved in the assassination of JFK. I find it impossible to believe that anyone who was involved in the plot would have been seen in public with the proposed patsy. Especially, by a member of the anti-Castro community who believed the CIA had betrayed them in their attempts to overthrow the government of Cuba.

This is why I think Tim's interview with Gerry is so important. If Phillips was not Bishop, it makes him more likely to have been involved in the assassination of JFK. My investigation of Esterline suggests that he was not involved in the assassination. William Pawley for example considered Esterline a “leftist”. Therefore, I believe that Esterline, rather than Phillips, was more likely to have been Bishop.

• 1 year later...

Esterline was another CIA man who served as a member of the OSS in China. Also there was Jack Anderson, Mitchell L. WerBell III, Robert Emmett Johnson, John Singlaub, William Pawley, Tommy Corcoran, Whitey Willauer, Claire Lee Chennault, Paul Helliwell, E. Howard Hunt, Jack Hawkins, Lucien Conein and Ray Cline.

post-7-1150803285_thumb.jpg

Tim Gratz said:
According to Gerald Patrick Hemming, Antonoi Veciana told Hemming that the man he saw Lee Harvey Oswald with in Dallas was not Maurice Bishop but was Jake Esterline.

Here's a comparison between the Maurice Bishop sketch, D.A. Phillips and Jake Esterline.

To me, the Bishop sketch doesn't look too much like Esterline.

Steve Thomas

post-669-1150809714_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve Thomas

Here's a comparison between the Maurice Bishop sketch, D.A. Phillips and Jake Esterline.

To me, the Bishop sketch doesn't look too much like Esterline.

Steve Thomas

post-669-1150809714_thumb.jpg

I don't see much resemblance to David Phillips either. The man in the sketch is James Stewart (not his best hair day), as anyone can see from this link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...GLD:en%26sa%3DN

I am trying to get an image of Gordon Campbell that I can post here at the forum. He is strikingly similar to the sketch of Maurice Bishop.

BTW John, do you know who the man is in that image with Esterline?

James

Edited by James Richards

BTW John, do you know who the man is in that image with Esterline?

No. It was believed to be a journalist. Esterline owned the photograph. He either did not know or was not willing to say.

I am trying to get an image of Gordon Campbell that I can post here at the forum. He is strikingly similar to the sketch of Maurice Bishop.

The one person who can identify Gordon Campbell as Maurice Bishop is Bradley Ayers. However, he appears to be unwilling to talk to me until his book is published. Something that is growing increasingly unlikely to happen.

• 3 weeks later...
I must admit that I am having a hard time getting my head around this (not being a rocket scientist to begin with). If Veciana was trying to protect Esterline, why mention it at all?

The question then begs, what was the relationship between Esterline and Veciana?....

.....Phillips was not Bishop, it makes him more likely to have been involved in the assassination of JFK. My investigation of Esterline suggests that he was not involved in the assassination. William Pawley for example considered Esterline a “leftist”. Therefore, I believe that Esterline, rather than Phillips, was more likely to have been Bishop.

JOHN, WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING AT THE SKETCH AND PHOTOS - IF YOU TAKE EVERYTHING VECHINA SAID ABOUT MAURICE BISHOP - WHERE HE WAS STATIONED, WHAT ACTIVITIES HE WAS DOING - ETC. AND LINE THEM UP NEXT TO DAVID PHILLIPS' CAREER FROM NIGHTWATCH, THERE'S OVER A DOZEN POSITIVE MATCHES - WHICH IF A FINGERPRINT, WOULD BE ENOUGH FOR A POSITIVE ID.

PHILLIPS LEFT SOME CLUES ABOUT EASTERLINE AS A "FICTIONAL" CHARACTER IN HIS NOVEL "THE CARLOS CONTRACT," IN WHICH HE ALSO HINTS THAT SOME CIA CASE OFFICERS WERE WOMEN.

BK

BK