The Education Forum

Bob Woodward just lied tonight

I don't have a problem with the Felt family making a little bit of money off his role in history, thirty years on. Money certainly wasn't Felt's motive at the time. There have been a number of books written by John Dean and Len Garment about Deep Throat. These men got paid even though they were wrong. I have no problem with Felt getting paid to tell the truth. (Assuming they family makes a couple of hundred thousand or less... If, by some chance, the family makes millions off it, I have to admit, even I will be a little disurbed.)

Nancy, if you read the Senate impeachment report, or listen to the tapes, you'll see that Nixon WAS guilty of many crimes. While some of these crimes were committed by other Presidents as well, there seems to be no real dispute that Nixon took this kind of behavior to another level, and that his administration was the most corrupt since the Harding Administration. They were selling ambassadorships for cash and fixing the price of milk in exchange for campaign donations, for example. They also were hiring goons to start riots at peaceful demonstrations so they could plant soundbites in the media that the anti-war movement was violent and out of control. This was designed to create fear in the general public and creat sympathy for the President's war efforts, so that the war could continue indefintely and Nixon could avoid the appearance of having "lost" the war. In short, the man was willing to sacrifice thousands of innocent lives so he could hold a magnifying glass in front of his manhood.

Outside of the occasional study of Kennedy's and Clinton's womanizing, there have been more psychological studies performed on Nixon than on probably all the other presidents combined, including one by Nixon's own therapist. And the studies are virtually unaminous: Nixon was mentally ill and unfit to be President. My own analysis--after reading and comparing dozens of books on Watergate, including Nixon's own memoirs--leads me to concur.

Edited by Pat Speer

Pat,

There is only one thing that is very unsettling to me about Nixon. This is the fact that he gave Howard Hunt a lot of money to keep silent.

What his real role in this in full I have not any idea when he promised to his own children one day the truth will come out. They don't seem to go hand in hand at all.

Why not the truth way in advance? Why a later time for this? On it's own with what Hunt said, "if I tell it all the domino's will fall." Well, I wish he wasn't paid and maybe we would have more facts about JFK assassination.

I know it was John Dean's idea to pay Hunt but still Nixon could have said well let him tell it than. One thing that Tosh Plumlee stated once is that if the truth came out about JFK it would cause a war.

Any thoughts on this?

Is the the reason why Nixon would say PAY HIM?

As far as Felt, I have not any good feeling about him. He could have done things right, gone another route and not to a new reportor that was on the job for only months. Nixon would have had maybe more support had Felt done it the right way in a proper way. What Felt did was dirty pool and there is not any doubt in my mind about that.

David Obst, Woodward’s literary agent in the 1970s, has given an interview to the journalist Sharon Churcher. Obst attempted to sell the manuscript of All the President’s Men. He pointed out that Deep Throat did not figure in the early manuscript of All the President’s Men. Nor did he appear in any of the Watergate reports in the Washington Post. Obst admits that the manuscript was originally a straightforward political analysis of Watergate that was turned down by seven publishers. Deep Throat was only added to the manuscript after Woodward met the screenwriter William Goldman at a party. It was then accepted by Simon & Schuster. It also became part of a film deal with a script written by Goldman. Obst claims that the character of Deep Throat was inserted in order to get a film deal and a contract with Simon & Schuster.

The identification of Felt as Deep Throat is part of a new Woodward book deal. Woodward’s new book on Deep Throat, The Secret Man, is due out next month. What a coincidence?

David Obst, Woodward’s literary agent in the 1970s, has given an interview to the journalist Sharon Churcher. Obst attempted to sell the manuscript of All the President’s Men. He pointed out that Deep Throat did not figure in the early manuscript of All the President’s Men. Nor did he appear in any of the Watergate reports in the Washington Post. Obst admits that the manuscript was originally a straightforward political analysis of Watergate that was turned down by seven publishers. Deep Throat was only added to the manuscript after Woodward met the screenwriter William Goldman at a party. It was then accepted by Simon & Schuster. It also became part of a film deal with a script written by Goldman. Obst claims that the character of Deep Throat was inserted in order to get a film deal and a contract with Simon & Schuster.

The identification of Felt as Deep Throat is part of a new Woodward book deal. Woodward’s new book on Deep Throat, The Secret Man, is due out next month. What a coincidence?

Hi John

Interesting information. Thanks for this.

Chris

On Larry King Live

Mr. King asked Woodward when is your book coming out tomorrow? Woodward looked stunned. Response was no not done yet. Have to get with him. By that time he was caught on the remark because Woodward all ready stated that Felt was with dementia. So how can he get with him if he can't talk to make much sense?

Then Mr. King asked, "will the book be out next week?" Woodward stated I don't think so.

Gee, this is fast still. He must have had enough done to the book to all ready get it moving.

MONEY is the only name of the game for this. Doesn't matter what it really and truely represented and behind it all. MONEY and as I said FOLLOW THE MONEY I do think is more on them than it was on Nixon some time back.

Just sell the story doesn't matter also that Felt was wrong on points stated to Woodward.

Sorry but Woodward's versions now and Felts never made sense to start with and now makes less sense than before.

Thank you Mr. Simkins for your response on this.

Edited by Nancy Eldreth

On Larry King Live

Mr. King asked Woodward when is your book coming out tomorrow?  Woodward looked stunned.  Response was no not done yet.  Have to get with him.  By that time he was caught on the remark because Woodward all ready stated that Felt was with dementia.  So how can he get with him if he can't talk to make much sense?

Then Mr. King asked, "will the book be out next week?"  Woodward stated I don't think so.

Gee, this is fast still.  He must have had enough done to the book to all ready get it moving. 

MONEY is the only name of the game for this.  Doesn't matter what it really and truely represented and behind it all.  MONEY and as I said FOLLOW THE MONEY I do think is more on them than it was on Nixon some time back.

Just sell the story doesn't matter also that Felt was wrong on points stated to Woodward. 

Sorry but Woodward's versions now and Felts never made sense to start with and now makes less sense than before.

Hi Nancy

MONEY? Well, maybe. Surely, Bob Woodward is rich from his earlier books without having to make more money, although a bit more wouldn't hurt I suppose. My point though is that he does not have to publish the book -- I don't believe he is hurting financially.

Sure he will make money, but what truly is the intent of the book? Woodward either wants to

1) make a clean breast of Deep Throat, if DT was Felt, i.e., a way of clearing the record,

2) present his "authorized" version of Deep Throat, if DT was not just Felt but was more than one person. . . or if there really was no DT.

Take your pick.

Best regards

Chris

Edited by Christopher T. George

On Larry King Live

Mr. King asked Woodward when is your book coming out tomorrow?  Woodward looked stunned.  Response was no not done yet.  Have to get with him.  By that time he was caught on the remark because Woodward all ready stated that Felt was with dementia.  So how can he get with him if he can't talk to make much sense?

Then Mr. King asked, "will the book be out next week?"  Woodward stated I don't think so.

Gee, this is fast still.  He must have had enough done to the book to all ready get it moving. 

MONEY is the only name of the game for this.  Doesn't matter what it really and truely represented and behind it all.  MONEY and as I said FOLLOW THE MONEY I do think is more on them than it was on Nixon some time back.

Hi Nancy

MONEY? Well, maybe. Surely, Bob Woodward is rich from his earlier books without having to make more money, although a bit more wouldn't hurt I suppose. My point though is that he does not have to publish the book -- I don't believe he is hurting financially.

Sure he will make money, but what truly is the intent of the book? Woodward either wants to

1) make a clean breast of Deep Throat, if DT was Felt, i.e., a way of clearing the record,

2) present his "authorized" version of Deep Throat, if DT was not just Felt but was more than one person. . . or if there really was no DT.

Take your pick.

Best regards

Chris

Woodward has a long way to go. Yes, it is interesting. What I find is the ones to write books so fast is for other reasons as well.

Some hold it over the story. Can't tell because of the book and signed rights.

Some into money from the start is if it is a way of knowing there could be a lawsuite somewhere and in from some direction.

To make known facts. NO I don't think that Woodward will do all of that, not all of it not even in his books.

Woodward lied about the clues and hints he gave to help anyone ever come to any real answer onto whom was Deep Throat. Yes, to throw us all off.

He did more than that.

Would you care to see what I did write to Woodward once?

No one ever checked into what went on right afterwards. Or to why he would state on one of his Washington posts tapes on the web. He said there was no Watergate crimes in which to be libel for. He is wrong. There was.

I find that most that have prepped books ready to go in case of emergancies is doing it to try to protect themselves. So, as far as the truth goes at this point he has a long way to go.

I once called a wrong person Deep Throat because of the reactions of Woodward, Bradlee and Bernstein. They reacted and it was on TV news, later then I called the person that to his face and he also reacted. This I will never let down nor change my mind on just what happened. NEVER it did take place.

Now, I know it was to discredit me in a terrible way. So, I am a bit angry. Funny thing is the person that I called this never minded. After the show that is. It was all an act. He won't talk no more, won't go onto any web site to answer and sometimes does not answer his emails either.

Also, strange is we got to become more friends afterwards. I talked to him on the phone with a lump in my throat as I asked him if he was taking me to court for what I said. He said, NO and I am not angry with that. But I never met Woodward ever and I was not in DC at that time. Took Bob Vernon a long time to tell me he was not DT, one full year and a day. He shut down his own forum fast. Took him one more year before he stated to me the real reasons why he reacted the two times. SO I stated back OK fine that is your reasons for the shut downs twice and not answering my question so why then did Woodward react? No Response from Bob Vernon.

Yes, it discredited me terrible back in my own face. SO why in the world would Woodward and his two co-workers act the way they did after I sent the email to Woodward? Reactions to the possible lawsuit, perhaps?

There exact words were from Woodward to Bradlee, "We are the only ones to know who Deep Thoat is" (began to laugh all three of them while saying the next group of words) "and we never told anyone." Still laughing all the way through the last words.

Then our local news stated these words, "Nixon and a small group of people always knew who Deep Throat is." Now this was before I even addressed to Bob Vernon.

Discredit me vs. tell a part of facts?

So what was all of that and why did they put me though it.

I look at each one on each of their reactions now, Woodward his worry look, Carl and his laugh it off, Bradlee just trying to be sincere.

Truth is the whole thing can come down in a second and I do think each of them know it too, with doing a book or no book.

• 4 weeks later...

Now Colson was on a program last week.

Finally we have one more to remark about Felt's doings and how he did it.

Colson's statements was rather surprising to me.

He feels that Felt did wrong and not noble at all, that there is something more behind it on why he choose the route that he went and that route was a wrong way to go to report this in.

I never picture Colson to make these statements. Somehow, I thought he would go along with how it was done to Nixon.

Seems more come to light on the fact that there is something more behind this not so much on what Nixon did as wrong but Felt and group did wrongful acts.

Now Colson was on a program last week.

Finally we have one more to remark about Felt's doings and how he did it.

Colson's statements was rather surprising to me.

Colson was the one who put the pressure on Hunt and Magruder to perform the break-in. He has never publicly admitted his responsibility and has instead tried to blame the CIA whenever possible. Nothing he says or does surprises me.

...and with the passing this past week of L. Patrick Gray, yet another player in the Watergate drama has left the theater.

Just FYI: In the mid-fifties, Felt was the Assistant Special Agent in

Charge of the New Orleans FBI office, working under Morton P. Chiles,

the SAC who preceded Harry Maynor. This was before most of the NO cast

were involved in anything significant, but I'll bet he was acquainted

with or aware of former SA W. Guy Banister, who left the FBI to join

the NOPD and later started a PI firm in that city.

Nancy, I don't want to start a disagreement...but IIRC, wasn't Bannister an FBI SA in CHICAGO, rather than New Orleans? Not sure, but I believe I read that on this very forum...and it was only AFTER he left the FBI that he returned to New Orleans?

If that's the case, then Felt's duties in New Orleans MIGHT or MIGHT NOT have brought him into contact with the Chicago-based Bannister...just my take on the situation, you understand.

In the above, Eldreth was quoting ME. I was just noting that Felt mentions his NO service in his autobiography, and that, since Banister kept in regular touch with SACs Chiles and Maynor, that he probably knew Felt at that time. This is of no special significance. I just thought I'd make it available as an FYI to JFK researchers.

Mark, you are correct that Banister never served with the FBI in NO.

These questions about Felt and Bannister and whether they knew each other might be of significance. There is one resource that might be used to discover some of these answers. I believe there was at one time a magazine or newsletter entitled Grapevine, written by and for ex-FBI agents. I think Robert Maheu and Jim Garrison have mentioned its existence. If someone could look through its contents circa-1962-1965 it might prove interesting. We might find that Maheu, Banister and Harvey all attended a reunion, or something like that. If anyone knows where to find these, I'd be interested if no one else is.

Pat and Stephen thanks,

You have a good point there. Yes, it is important to any relationship that Felt and Banister might have and were involved.

Today on a TV program this morning on NBC I think it was and never seen the program before a man wore a large texas hat and had a sign up New Mexico is about all I know of this program.

Well Bob Woodward was on the program this moring on the phone talking to the TV show monitor. Said Woodward on the bottom of the screen. ALso was Bob Woodward's voice. It was announcing his book release and showing it on screen.

What Woodward finally answered was that it was not Felt who announced for this to come out to the public it was his attorney who did, and the only reason that Felt came to the door was he heard it was lunch time. Yeah, it about looks like that too.

MY DEEPEST QUESTION OF ALL IS WHAT IN THE WORLD REALLY PROMPTED THE ATTORNEY TO KNOW NOW IS THE PROPER TIME TO RELEASE THIS INFORMATION< WHAT SPARKED IT? I have a feeling it has nothing to do with his family and getting money all though that is a good say to it but I think more is to this than that.

As far as Woodward doing the right things NO it looks like he investigated and it should have been taken over by him to the FBI and let them do it. Not the FBI give him info and it is one that isn't even known with good credits in the first place.

As it is said in Hopsickers book. The same group that set JFK up is the same group that set Nixon up as well.

Thsi is a set up plain simple and it is about as almost twisted in many parts of it as some others to claim they know so much about JFK. Give one side and invert it over to look another way.

When I look at Hoover and see he wanted to get rid of the Mafia what a way to bring them all down. Turn them on each other and get rid of them and make himself look good when in fact he was setting up so many. I look forward to one day seeing Hoover name of the FBI wall in DC. IT should be. There is more crimes involved into Hoover's own corruptness than meets the eye. It would take leaders to execute it all and others under it like Felt to make it happen.

Woodward got weaned on a bad man and he still never wrote the other side to the story. I bet it isn't in this new book of his either. IF he never says which it would not be why the atty. NOW GIVES INFO OUT RATHER THAN WAIT UNTIL HE IS DEAD. At 92 and his condition why not have waited.

Did anyone know that Nixon gave Felt a bottle of liquor after one of Felt's hearings saying to him, "this is justice?"

What a strange thing to say and a celebration with it? IT was champain, that means to celebrate. Was it meant to be a pun?

Leave you to figure that one out?

Heard this one tonight from Woodward on Larry King live. King said we will never know why's on many things. The why's even about Nixon. Also he is not answering the why's dealing with the attorney to give this out now on Felt's under ID of DTm, he said it was up to the family and the attorney. What a slip away if ever I saw one>>>>>>>>>>>>>