The Education Forum

Arsenal

John Simkin

Dan, what score do you predict for tonight's game? Here is mine: Arsenal 1 Everton 2.

Hi Dan and John

This prediction might be expected from me, as a Liverpool fan, but I don't see an Everton side beating Arsenal tonight at Highbury -- they might snatch a draw however.

After all Everton are severely lacking in confidence after their dire start of the season, dumped out of the Champions League, then last week drubbed 5-1 in the first leg of the tie against Dinamo Bucharest in the lesser UEFA Cup, they have scored only once in four Premiership outings this term when they won away at Bolton and languish next to bottom, having won one and lost three. David Moyes in an article on Soccernet today bewails his side's "Lack of Firepower."

Actually for Everton's sake, despite my affiliation with the Red side of Liverpool, I would like to see a dramatic upturn in the Blue's fortunes, so for that reason your prediction of Arsenal 1 Everton 2 is attractive to me for that reason, although I somehow don't see it happening.

All my best

Chris

Edited by Christopher T. George

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal outplayed Everton last night. That probably says more about Everton than Arsenal. They could find themselves in a relegation struggle this year.

Matt Scott in the Guardian makes an interesting point in today’s Guardian. He points out that both of Campbell’s goals came from free kicks by Reyes. He argues that if Henry had been playing Reyes would not have taken these free kicks, although he is far better in dead ball situations than the Arsenal star (apparently Henry’s colleagues are not very happy with his insistence on taking all free kicks and corner kicks).

Interesting article in today's Guardian about West Ham's tactics against Arsenal tomorrow.

A fearless, attacking style has carried West Ham into the Premiership's top six and their manager Alan Pardew has no intention of abandoning that tomorrow just because Arsenal are the visitors to Upton Park.

Pardew acknowledges his side face a "step up in class" against Arsène Wenger's outfit but plans to stick with the approach that has seen them accrue 14 goals in their opening six games. Ten of those have come in the Premiership, making them the second top scorers.

"We are not the type of team to shut up shop and hope to get something," Pardew said yesterday. "My teams have never played like that. There are obviously different ways to win games but I think, the way the team is set up at the moment and the way we're playing, I would be doing our players a disservice if I said, 'Let's change for Arsenal'. We're going to play very similar and see how we get on . . . At the moment I've got a team with its tail up and exuberant and I don't want to take that away from them."

West Ham's positive start has surprised many observers, particularly since they earned their promotion after finishing in the last play-off spot. But Pardew knows Arsenal will present a tougher test than any of their opponents so far.

"Our expectations can't be too high against the level of team we are playing," he said. "We are obviously aiming to win and we want the stadium to be in very good voice, and I'm sure it will be. This is a step up in class and we have to make sure we can deal with it. Up until now we have looked more than capable."

Only Chelsea, with 12 goals, have scored more freely than West Ham in the Premiership. Pardew believes the boring tag with which Jose Mourinho's team have been labelled owes more to their solidity and superiority than a lack of style.

"Chelsea are so accomplished at the moment that I think they have only had one or two shots on target against them in five games," he said. "It's a bit like Steve Davis [was in snooker] - if you're that good, it does tend to get bit boring. From where I'm coming it's a great product, a great league."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/...1576465,00.html

Even if West Ham gets wacked on Saturday I hope Pardew does not change his tactics.

I thought Arsene Wenger’s comments after the game was interesting. He claimed that West Ham managed to get a draw because they approached it like a cup tie. I suppose he is saying that West Ham put more effort into their performance? If that is the case, the question is, why did Arsenal not put in the same kind of effort as West Ham? It seems to me that effort was not the problem for Arsenal. West Ham matched Arsenal all over the pitch (probably the first time in 20 years that they have managed to do this). This is partly because West Ham has improved. However, it is partly because Arsenal appear to be in decline. Alexander Hleb is a good acquisition but others like Cesc Fabregas, Antonio Reyes and Robin van Persie have some way to go before they can replace the quality of players of previous years.

In today’s Guardian David Pleat explained how West Ham’s tactics nullified Arsenal. They are such a predicable team that a lot of teams will have success against them this year. That is why they will finish outside the top four.

Credit where credit is due; West Ham have made a great start this year, Arsenal have not and that is why there was parity at Upton Park. When the spine of your team is missing - Campbell is just back and now Senderos is injured - Gilberto is injured and of course Vieira is gone - and Henry is injured - then naturally the team will suffer. However, I disagree that our tactics have not changed. Already this year we have scored nearly half of our goals from headers - 2 from Campbell and 2 from Cygan and without Vieira we can change the focus of attack back towards the wings. I read a very interesting article recently about how Vieira's influence meant that Wenger's tactics were limited and that was partly why we never succeded in Europe. We shall see if this season is different.

Credit where credit is due; West Ham have made a great start this year, Arsenal have not and that is why there was parity at Upton Park. When the spine of your team is missing - Campbell is just back and now Senderos is injured - Gilberto is injured and of course Vieira is gone - and Henry is injured - then naturally the team will suffer.

Is this a criticism of Wenger? Everyone knows this is a squad game. Why did he not buy during the summer? Anyway, I thought you were pleased that Vieira had been replaced by Hleb. Gilberto was injured at the end of the game and cannot be used as an excuse. Senderos would not have played if he had been fit. However, you are missing Henry, as everyone said you would when he finally got injured.

Wenger actually defended Alex Ferguson yesterday. He thought his treatment by the Man Utd fans on Saturday was "appalling". He added "Of course we are, like the players, only as good as our last game, but after what this guy has done for the club I find it horrendous and nearly unbelievable."

Maybe Wenger is afraid it is going to happen to him. I don't find it unbelievable. No one can rely on their achievements in the past. Fans have every right to point out that Ferguson got his tactics wrong on Saturday. The trouble with football managers like Ferguson and Wenger is that they don't believe they should be criticised. At his press conference Ferguson even refused to answer questions about his tactics. Has Andy has pointed out, it is time for Ferguson to go. Like all dictators, he will not resign and will have to be removed.

• 3 weeks later...
At this time of year football reporters make their predictions for the season. I thought it might be a bit of fun if members of the forum had a go at this.

Here is my list:

Top of the Table

1. Chelsea

2. Manchester United

3. Tottenham

4. Arsenal

First of all can I say that the prediction that Arsenal will finish 4th behind Tottenham is the most outrageously provocative statement that John Simkin has made in the entire time that I have known him, and that is saying something!!

Top of the Table (17th October)

1. Chelsea

2. Tottenham

3. Manchester United

4. Manchester City

8. Arsenal

no comment! :surfing

Maybe you will do better in Europe than in the Premiership. Great goal by Henry on Tuesday. However, as Chelsea have shown this season, you need to play with more than one quality attacker to do well in the Premiership.

Real test for the Spurs this afternoon. Even if they do lose at Manchester United they will probably stay 5 points in front of Arsenal (I expect them to be beaten by Manchester City).

Real test for the Spurs this afternoon. Even if they do lose at Manchester United they will probably stay 5 points in front of Arsenal (I expect them to be beaten by Manchester City).

I find the latter a little hard to accept, unless Psycho makes an horrendous tackle on Henry as he moves past the dugout :lol:

We shall see what happens on Saturday!

As a neutral I thought you were outplayed by Spurs in the first-half but had the better of the second-half. Going by the chances that both sides had, I thought Spurs deserved to win. Arsenal was obviously pleased that they got a draw. An illustration of how far you have fallen.

I read an interesting story yesterday about Arsenal in the distant past. George Swindin died a few days ago. According to Brian Glanville, Swindin was one of three good goalkeepers Arsenal had during the war. They were all in the armed forces and they all made a desperate effort at the end of the war to get back to play in a cup-tie against West Ham. It was thought that if they had a good game they would become the first-choice keeper. Swindin won the race but unfortunately for him, West Ham won the game 6-0. However, he regained his place because as Glanville put it: “Those of us who were there knew that, had it not been for Swindin, the margin might have been more severe.” I think that is what is known as the “Good Old Days”.

Dan, you seem to be doing well in Europe this season (although it does seem like a weak group). It must give you as much pleasure to see Manchester United struggling.

After watching the games against Middlesbrough and Lille, it is clear that Manchester United have serious problems. The most important factor in this concerns the loss of Roy Keane. The team looks rudderless without him. The decision to replace Keane with Alan Smith has been a disaster. Smith might have Keane’s fighting qualities but he is clearly not able to defend. As Keane said in his famous taped interview (leaked to the press before being destroyed by Ferguson) “he (Smith) looks lost, he doesn’t know what he is doing”. Keane’s comments on the other players are just as perceptive.

Manchester United still have some extremely talented members in their team but need someone like Keane to be its “heartbeat”. Liverpool have a similar problem when Steven Gerrard is not in the team. Chelsea are lucky to have more than one heartbeat (Terry and Lampard). Who is going to replace Patrick Viera as your heartbeat?

John, if I had my way I would seriously consider putting Kolo Toure in the centre of midfield, the man is a beast! We could then use Senderos as centre half with Campbell and the championship, European Cup and world domination would be ours. Seriously though I do think Toure could do the job and he has started to produce Vieira like surges from the defence. I thought that a draw was a fair result on Saturday and am pleased with the run of form lately, things are definitely looking up. Unlike for ManUre. Ho Ho Ho. Funnily enough my ManUre supporting History teacher whom I share an office with has gone remarkably quiet on the football front. Shame.