The Education Forum

Arsenal

John Simkin

I see those racists at Uefa are introducing a new rule next season.

The moment one's views correspond so neatly with those of the Daily Mail is the time to do the decent thing and shoot oneself.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moment one's views correspond so neatly with those of the Daily Mail is the time to do the decent thing and shoot oneself.

I only read the Daily Mail when I have my haircut (the alternative is to read those terrible lad’s magazines). It is truly a terrible newspaper and I probably disagree intensely with 95% of what I read in the time before I enter the barber’s chair. However, the other day I read an excellent article on Tony Blair’s corrupt relationship with Paul Drayson (sorry, Lord Drayson).

It seems to me that it is an act of extreme prejudice to believe that everything that appears in a certain newspaper is always wrong. I am not aware if the Daily Mail has published articles about the problems of having football managers who appear to be prejudiced against the characters of working class lads, however, if they did, I would make my judgement on the content of the article, rather than on any prejudicial view of the newspaper.

I only read the Daily Mail when I have my haircut

Could it be suggested therefore that if you make too many visits to the barbers you may well end up with a skinhead?

• 3 weeks later...

Not that this is any place for conspiracy theories, but I wonder if there's a hotel chef somewhere who is also a gooner...

Maybe he was just a French cook?

I was amazed to hear that Spurs stayed at a London hotel for a local derby.

This picture of the man responsible for Spurs' meal has just been released.

post-7-1147277525_thumb.jpg

Sad to see Arsenal lose tonight. I thought they played and fought well with 10 men for the majority of the game. I'm not sure that the outpouring of “ref blaming” which followed the match is very healthy however.

If Henry had put away his chances the ref's inadequacies would have been irrelevant

And the ref should have played the advantage rule and allowed the Barcelona goal before sending the goalkeeper off. And the free kick resulting in Campbell goal came as the result of a bit of blatant diving. As always, the inadequacies of the referee are often in the eyes of the beholder... They lost because the goalkeeper committed an obvious professional foul so that Arsenal had to play with only 10 players against what is probably the best attacking team in Europe... From then on, the final result was pretty obvious...

Sad to see Arsenal lose tonight. I thought they played and fought well with 10 men for the majority of the game. I'm not sure that the outpouring of “ref blaming” which followed the match is very healthy however.

If Henry had put away his chances the ref's inadequacies would have been irrelevant

And the ref should have played the advantage rule and allowed the Barcelona goal before sending the goalkeeper off. And the free kick resulting in Campbell goal came as the result of a bit of blatant diving. As always, the inadequacies of the referee are often in the eyes of the beholder... They lost because the goalkeeper committed an obvious professional foul so that Arsenal had to play with only 10 players against what is probably the best attacking team in Europe... From then on, the final result was pretty obvious...

I am afraid that Arsenal under Wenger have become very bad losers (they are even worse than Chelsea and Man United). Good article David Lacey about this in the Guardian this morning.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/...1779355,00.html

Wenger may be the most profound manager English football has seen but in the aftermath of defeat he became Neil Warnock with a Gallic accent. Samuel Eto'o's equaliser should have been disallowed for offside, he insisted, and although Hauge had been right to send off Lehmann for bringing down Eto'o the Arsenal goalkeeper was not to blame. Both Wenger and Henry made cheap cracks about the referee, born of Uefa's decision to replace a linesman who had been pictured in Barcelona colours. It was all a bit unworthy.

True, much of Hauge's performance was down there with lesser Norwegian entries for the Eurovision Song Contest. If Rune Hauge was lord of the bungs then Terje Hauge was baron of the bungle. He saw fouls that were not there and missed some that were. Yet to blame him for spoiling the final missed the point. The man primarily responsible for reducing Arsenal to 10 men was Lehmann, not the referee.

Hauge's failure to give Barcelona the advantage when the ball ran to Ludovic Giuly, who scored, was not a mistake, just poor judgment. And although he could then have merely cautioned Lehmann he would still have been entitled to send the goalkeeper off. Had Hauge performed to Henry's requirements, moreover, he would have given Emmanuel Eboué a second yellow for a blatant dive instead of awarding the free-kick from which Sol Campbell's header gave Arsenal the lead.

Yes, Eto'o was moving offside as he gathered Henrik Larsson's pass to bring the scores level but it was easy to see why the flag was not raised. Linesmen have been advised to wait until they see daylight between a forward and the last defender and enough of Eto'o was in line for him to be given the benefit of the doubt. Henry has thrived on the more liberal interpretation of the law so it was a bit rich to hear Arsenal protesting now.

Had Barcelona lost they would have had more reason to complain: a goal which might have stood and one conceded from a free-kick which should not have been given. The Arsenal fans were more rational than the manager or his captain and, with David Pleat a shining exception, most of the old pros on the box belonged to the Polyphemus school of one-eyed punditry.

Four days earlier the best FA Cup final since 1990 was impeccably refereed by Alan Wiley, was free of dives or serious fouls, produced a Herculean hero in Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and the most gracious of losers in West Ham United. A pity Paris missed a similar treat.

• 3 months later...
Arsenal have started badly and will once again struggle to be the top London club (I suspect Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham will finish higher than then in the Premiership). However, I do not think they will be relegated. :rolleyes:

They do seem rather lost on the Great Plains of the new stadium.... Not that Spurs have any such excuse for a duff start (apart from usual 'suspects' of buying overpriced tat in the summer sale, selling the odd good player to teams destined to finish higher anyway and legendary injury list)... Oh I could go on! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Arsene Wenger has broken his silence, after the incident at Upton Park on Sunday. Looking emotionally drained Wenger, spoke as Arsenal arrived back in North London

“I was disgusted at the treatment we received at West Ham. Our players are used to playing in a quiet, respectful atmosphere (Al Qaeda Stadium) in which we can discuss tactics, compare our nice gloves, and scream loudly to let the referee know we've been tackled and need a free kick.

The atmosphere at Upton Park was little short of hostile. The opposing fans sang, shouted and cheered in a manner we are not used to. Almost all of them stayed for the whole game, too. This was strange to us; it doesn't happen back at the Al Qaeda Stadium.

In addition, our bag man left the team's glove bag back at Gonfraburton Grove, meaning that many of our players were playing with cold hands, and some of them cried.

My dispute with Alan Pardew was over his comments following their goal. "Did you see that?" he shouted. This was insulting. He must know that I see NOTHING on the pitch, unless it is a poor decision against Arsenal. I hope the FA realizes what bad feeling this can cause at a game and can have Managers and hopefully players banned from celebrating when scoring goals. I was very disappointed to see him celebrate like that, it was almost as if he wanted us to loose. He did offer to shake my hand at the end but without the gloves my fingers were too cold, and I didn’t want to move them from under my armpits

Arsene Wenger has broken his silence, after the incident at Upton Park on Sunday......

;):lol:

Seriously though - why on earth did Pardew apologise?

I'd have been tempted to describe Wenger as a disgrace on TV and then pursue him for common assault

Arsene Wenger has broken his silence, after the incident at Upton Park on Sunday......

I'd have been tempted to describe Wenger as a disgrace on TV and then pursue him for common assault

Because Pardew is good at PR. His apology made it clear that the villian was Wenger. Maybe Pardew upset Wenger by saying that the move that resulted in the goal involved three Englishmen. Wenger probably responded by calling him a racist. What is clear is that Wenger is a very bad loser. He also knew that the defeat had put him out of the race for the title.

Even if Wenger had spoken to the press afterwards, he would have criticised West Ham for using tactics that made it difficult for Arsenal to win (he made the same complaint about Everton last week).

Because Pardew is good at PR. His apology made it clear that the villian was Wenger. Maybe Pardew upset Wenger by saying that the move that resulted in the goal involved three Englishmen. Wenger probably responded by calling him a racist. What is clear is that Wenger is a very bad loser. He also knew that the defeat had put him out of the race for the title.

Even if Wenger had spoken to the press afterwards, he would have criticised West Ham for using tactics that made it difficult for Arsenal to win (he made the same complaint about Everton last week).

I see.

And I thought working class English lads liked to tell it as it is and leaving all this PR nonsense to effeminate middle class frenchmen :lol:

• 9 months later...

I am off to the home of football on Sunday for the third time this season (Fulham and Sparta Prague were the other 2) and I have been very pleased with our start. Compared to last year when we were dropping points left right and centre, we are now much more solid, and getting a bit of luck too. I hope that Wenger doesn't pick Lehmann for a while, Almunia is looking much stronger and gives the defence a lot more confidence. We also need Walcott to get more confident about taking defenders on and getting to the byeline. Our new signings have certainly impressed, Sagna is great and Eduardo is going to be a star - great passer of the ball and scored a lovely goal on Wed. All in all it just goes to show that 'Arsene knows' and you don't have to shell out obscene amounts of money to play lovely football and win games. Come on you gunners!