The Education Forum

Nixon, another slip of the tongue?

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner

Found this on the Chappaquiddick thread, credit Lynne Foster, forum member.

In an Aug 22nd 1972 press conference Tricky said,

" If ten more wiretaps could have found the conspiracy( to assassinate JFK)= Uh, if it was a conspiracy,=or the individual (you mean Oswald, right Dick) then it would have been worth it."

Nixon always had trouble seperating the pretence, from the reality.

Stephen,

That is not what Nixon said, according to a transcript of the news conference. He did not use and stumble over the word "conspiracy," though what he did say seemed to imply one. Here is the actual quote:

"But if he had had 10 more and, as a result of wiretaps, had been able to discover the Oswald plan, it would have been worth it."

The obvious question (which no one asked) is, who was Oswald making plans with on the phone to assassinate JFK?

The partial transcript can be found here:

http://www.bannerofliberty.com/OS8-98MQC/8-20-1998.1.html

Ron

Guest Stephen Turner

Ron' just re-routing what I found on another thread, I didn't buy the farm. But thanks for your comprehensive knowledge, as always. Steve.

I find the Nixon "slip-ups" an incredible source of what really happened. The June 23rd/72 reference to "the whole Bay of Pigs thing" being so very suductive, especially given that many of us instinctively knew he was referring to the assassination of JFK long before Haldeman ever "outed" Tricky on this matter.

Think of it: How many people who were past the age of 7 don't remember exactly where they were on 11/22/63??? Or, like Tricky, have given 3 different versions? I'd say he had a lot to hide.

NOw the Mad Brown story: that's a strange one. I was fortunate to meet the lively Ms. Brown in Dallas in 98, and found her to be both charming and sincere. But the infamous 11/21 party is another matter. I have wondered tho if LBJ's famous look- alike cousin did not stand in for him....allowing for LBJ to be in two places at once.

Dawn

I find the Nixon "slip-ups" an incredible source of what really happened. The June 23rd/72 reference to "the whole Bay of Pigs thing" being so very suductive, especially given that many of us instinctively knew he was referring to the assassination of JFK long before Haldeman ever "outed" Tricky on this matter.

William Sullivan (FBI) and James Angleton (CIA) were the two men responsible for investigating the assassination of JFK for the Warren Commission. You therefore have to assume that they knew a great deal about the assassination. When Sullivan was sacked by Hoover in August 1971, he was not out of work for long. He was employed by Richard Nixon. I suspect that Nixon did this because he wanted inside information about the roles that the FBI and CIA played in the assassination of JFK. One of Sullivan's jobs was to help Nixon with his policy of expanding illegal surveillance methods (Huston Plan). This in itself upset the CIA as it was an obvious threat to its own power.

William Sullivan was shot dead near his home in Sugar Hill, New Hampshire, on 9th November, 1977. Sullivan had been scheduled to testify before the House Select Committee on Assassinations. At the time of his death Sullivan was working on a book with journalist Bill Brown on his autobiography. "The Bureau: My Thirty Years in Hoover's FBI" was published posthumously in 1979. The book was edited by Brown. It is not known what was taken out before publication. Sullivan only includes a small passage on the investigation of the assassination of JFK. However, he does say that they were never able to explain what Oswald was up to in Mexico City. He also raised doubts about Oswald firing all the shots that killed JFK.

Stephen,

That is not what Nixon said, according to a transcript of the news conference. He did not use and stumble over the word "conspiracy," though what he did say seemed to imply one. Here is the actual quote:

"But if he had had 10 more and, as a result of wiretaps, had been able to discover the Oswald plan, it would have been worth it."

The obvious question (which no one asked) is, who was Oswald making plans with on the phone to assassinate JFK?

The partial transcript can be found here:

http://www.bannerofliberty.com/OS8-98MQC/8-20-1998.1.html

Ron

In the context of the quote, plan equals conspiracy. It seems he often slipped up while backpedaling.

• 2 months later...
Here is the actual quote: "But if he had had 10 more and, as a result of wiretaps, had been able to discover the Oswald plan, it would have been worth it." The obvious question (which no one asked) is, who was Oswald making plans with on the phone to assassinate JFK?
In the context of the quote, plan equals conspiracy. It seems he often slipped up while backpedaling.

Hunter Thompson on Nixon:

"If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin."

T.C.

Hunter Thompson on Nixon:

"If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin." (Tim Carroll)

Tim,

Thompson was only warming up with that dispatch.

He gets into top gear here:

"Richard Nixon has never been one of my favorite people anyway. For years I've regarded his existence as a monument to all the rancid genes and broken chromosones that corrupt the possibilities of the American Dream; he was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena and the style of a poison toad. The Nixon I remembered was absolutely humorless; I couldn't imagine him laughing at anything except maybe a paraplegic who wanted to vote Democratic but couldn't quite reach the lever on the voting machine."

An exquisite rendering of a most loathsome creature.

James

With regards to Nixon and the Watergate/Dallas connection;

As the years have gone by and a certain amount of the JFK Mythology has been obliterated, i.e. 'Oswald as Lone Nut, etc..., and the fact that we know so much more about the 'Plumbers' than what was known back in 72-73 - Coup d'Etat in Dallas came out around 1973....

I have at times wondered if in the intertwining relationships between the CIA and ostensible religious and non-religious organizations like the Russian Orthodox Church and the Quakers and the White Russians on one hand and the enigmatic individuals such as Ruth & Michael Paine, George & Jeanne DeMohrenschildt and Lee Harvey Oswald on the other, if maybe there was a 'clash between the scenes' which the assassination was the culmination of. For instance the Catherwood Foundation, which has been proven to have given financial aid to the Russian Orthodox Church Community Outside Russia (see St. Seraphim - Dallas, TX. 1963) Catherwood Foundation also funded the organization Cuban Aid Relief. I know I am thinking out loud, about this but I find it odd that in 2005 we have 'The Federalist's,' is it possible that they are a morph of what the Catherwood Foundation was in 1963?

There are elements of somewhat related dynamics in the ostensible Nazi and esoteric links to individuals largely associated with the politics of the right, Nixon, who on at least one occasion had some type of link to Ruby circa 1947, Reinhard Gehlen's group being incorporated into US intelligence, the eerie details of late night Nazi films at all hours of the night in the White House basement; Krogh, Ehrlichmann, Liddy, Kissinger and so forth, and the Bushes infamous links to 'Skull and Bones.'

It reminds me of Ruby's comment about 'a whole new form of government' and the 'pogroms against the Jews', a lot of people seem to think Ruby's comments were the product of a deranged mind, but some suggest that Ruby may have been referring to the assassination of JFK being 'pinned on the Jew's' specifically Bernard Weissman and maybe L.M. Bloomfield?

I personally do not subscribe to the view that the Govt. of Israel circa 1963 was involved in the JFK Assassination. But neither do I discount the issue of Perimendex having links to the CIA.

One thing interesting is that in AF2J, there is a reference to papers 'that were' in the Library of Tulane University, from the Hale Boggs papers which attested that "Jack Ruby had called a New Orleans friend of Ruth Paine" (page 27 A Farewell to Justice). I would surmise the friend may have been Ruth Kloepfer, who loke Ruth was also a Quaker, there is also the article by Bill Kelly which indicated Oswald was probably in the company of a Quaker in Mexico City.

Could there have been two underlying ideological factions (outside of the JURE/DRE Cuban groups,) competing with each other? one with ties to fascists' and the other the far left (with one side prevailing on Nov. 22, 1963?

Edited by Robert Howard

While I don't recall the author, it was once said of Tricky Dick

"If you were drowning 20 feet from shore, Nixon would throw you a 13 foot rope and tell you that he was meeting you more than halfway!"

Richard Nixon, The first Sith Lord President?