The Education Forum

Warren Commission Film

Does anyone know if the 2003 film 'The Commission' is going to be available on dvd/video anytime soon? The film is about the W.C. and has a famous cast but does not seem to have been widely released in the US and I don't think it has been released at all here in the UK. It's a shame as it sounds like a good film - even has Ed Asner who played Guy Banister in JFK , playing Will Fritz.

IMDB.com doesn't list it as being available on dvd anywhere at the moment:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310906/

Francesca

Does anyone know if the 2003 film 'The Commission' is going to be available on dvd/video anytime soon? The film is about the W.C. and has a famous cast but does not seem to have been widely released in the US and I don't think it has been released at all here in the UK. It's a shame as it sounds like a good film - even has Ed Asner who played Guy Banister in JFK , playing Will Fritz.

Francesca

Francesca,

I saw the film, before final edit, at a COPA conference a few years ago and met the producer/director, who works on the set of the TV show Law & Order. That's how he got all the great talent to work for pro bono, and filmed it over a period of years in black and white, so its not a major motion picture you will see in a theater. More likely he will get it on PBS or some non-commercial TV network, and get it out on DVD, though I don't think they are that far advanced yet.

It's an okay flick, trying to capture the Warren Commissioners as they were, warts and all, unlike the glossy revisionism we can expect from Max Holland. Both projects seem to be having a hard time wrapping up.

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

I saw the Commission last year at Lancer and was a bit disappointed. To me, the film would have been far better if it just stuck to the internal politics of the thing, using the actual transcripts, rather than cutting away to inject some of the director's opinions on what happened. The amazing cast deserved better. Hopefully it will be re-edited so that it just sticks with the facts, which are damaging enough. Corbin Bernsen as Gerry Ford was surprisingly good.

Francesca

Francesca,

I saw the film, before final edit, at a COPA conference a few years ago and met the producer/director, who works on the set of the TV show Law & Order. That's how he got all the great talent to work for pro bono, and filmed it over a period of years in black and white, so its not a major motion picture you will see in a theater. More likely he will get it on PBS or some non-commercial TV network, and get it out on DVD, though I don't think they are that far advanced yet.

It's an okay flick, trying to capture the Warren Commissioners as they were, warts and all, unlike the glossy revisionism we can expect from Max Holland. Both projects seem to be having a hard time wrapping up.

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Thanks for that Bill. I thought the director's name sounded familiar but couldn't place it! Must have seen it on the credits of Law & Order. I wasn't aware it was filmed in black and white though. Shame it isn't on general release, I really would like to see it.