The Education Forum

Charles Siragusa

Does anyone know if Charles Siragusa ever used an alias?

Siragusa below.

James

James,

Siragusa used the cover of Philip Monet when operating in Central Europe through the Corsican Heroin trade. I believe the files on Ricardo Rossi also is parallel to Siragusa, but it cannot be proven from what I have seen.

I have had an interest in Siragusa for some time, but connecting the dots are very difficult, until he was established above board in the late sixties.

Al

Does anyone know if Charles Siragusa ever used an alias?

Siragusa below.

James

James,

Siragusa used the cover of Philip Monet when operating in Central Europe through the Corsican Heroin trade. I believe the files on Ricardo Rossi also is parallel to Siragusa, but it cannot be proven from what I have seen.

I have had an interest in Siragusa for some time, but connecting the dots are very difficult, until he was established above board in the late sixties.

Al

Thanks, Al. I appreciate it and will check those names out.

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A good source on this guy is Douglas Valentines book The Stregnth of The Wolf (Verso, 2004)

Thanks, Nathaniel. It's now on my Christmas wish list.

Cheers,

James

Dug up my copy of Valentine's book finally.

He says that Siragusa used the alis of Cal Salerno. Its part of an interesting couple of paragraphs on page 306-307. It seems more interesting now that I know more of the role of Paulino Sierra Mrtinez, from Larry Hancock's second edition.

Charlie Siragusa used the alias Cal Salerno throughout his FBN career, but when asked by Senator Edward Kennedy in 1977

if he had set up the Chicago Safehouse, he said, "there has been some poetic license taken with the truth. I only just learned

the name of Cal Salerno was adopted by others that succeeded me. I had nothing to do with the CIA during the period of time

that I was in Chicago"

Kennedy accepted Siragusa's denial, even though Siragusa had traveled to Chicago in July of 1963 to apply for the job of chief

of the Illinois Crime Commission, and while there had socialized with his MKULTRA liason, Ray Treichler, who had taken a job with

a chemical manufacturing firm in Chicago after retiring from the CIA. So why didn't Kennedy ask the obvious follow up question

and inquire who had impersonated the interviewee and why? Apparently, the Senator's reticense had to do with the fact that

Bobby Kennedy had, concurrently with the establishment of the Chicago safehouse in July 1963, entered into relations with

Paulino Sierra Martinez, head of the anti-Castro Junta del Gobierno de Cuba en el Exilio (JGCE) in Chicago. Sierra, on behalf of

Bobby Kennedy and with State Department support, funded anti-Castro terrorist groups outside of the US-- perhaps through

Siragusa of his impersonator at the new Chicago safehouse. He was allegedly tied to Trafficante and Marcello, and if he was,

Sierra represented yet a third Cuban channel to CIA-protected drug smugglers and assassins.

Siragusa was also influencial in denouncing Trafficante as a double agent (p.225), maintaining that his arrest in Cuba had been a ruse.

A good source on this guy is Douglas Valentines book The Stregnth of The Wolf (Verso, 2004)

Thanks, Nathaniel. It's now on my Christmas wish list.

Cheers,

James

Dug up my copy of Valentine's book finally.

He says that Siragusa used the alis of Cal Salerno. Its part of an interesting couple of paragraphs on page 306-307. It seems more interesting now that I know more of the role of Paulino Sierra Mrtinez, from Larry Hancock's second edition.

Charlie Siragusa used the alias Cal Salerno throughout his FBN career, but when asked by Senator Edward Kennedy in 1977

if he had set up the Chicago Safehouse, he said, "there has been some poetic license taken with the truth. I only just learned

the name of Cal Salerno was adopted by others that succeeded me. I had nothing to do with the CIA during the period of time

that I was in Chicago"

Kennedy accepted Siragusa's denial, even though Siragusa had traveled to Chicago in July of 1963 to apply for the job of chief

of the Illinois Crime Commission, and while there had socialized with his MKULTRA liason, Ray Treichler, who had taken a job with

a chemical manufacturing firm in Chicago after retiring from the CIA. So why didn't Kennedy ask the obvious follow up question

and inquire who had impersonated the interviewee and why? Apparently, the Senator's reticense had to do with the fact that

Bobby Kennedy had, concurrently with the establishment of the Chicago safehouse in July 1963, entered into relations with

Paulino Sierra Martinez, head of the anti-Castro Junta del Gobierno de Cuba en el Exilio (JGCE) in Chicago. Sierra, on behalf of

Bobby Kennedy and with State Department support, funded anti-Castro terrorist groups outside of the US-- perhaps through

Siragusa of his impersonator at the new Chicago safehouse. He was allegedly tied to Trafficante and Marcello, and if he was,

Sierra represented yet a third Cuban channel to CIA-protected drug smugglers and assassins.

Siragusa was also influencial in denouncing Trafficante as a double agent (p.225), maintaining that his arrest in Cuba had been a ruse.

Thanks, Nathaniel. Very interesting indeed.

Trafficante being a double agent is starting to pick up some momentum in my research of late. He seems he was reporting to a high level G2 agent named Manuel Pineiro Lozada aka Redbeard.

Pineiro below.

James