The Education Forum

Threat to the President. April 1962

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner

REFERENCE, DADE COUNTY INTELL FILE 14e

To Lt Bromley

From, Det Tarabochia.

Date, Jan 11th 1962.

Subject, Assist other agency, alleged plot to assasinate the president of the United States of America.

At approx 6-30pm, Jan 10th 1962 Det A, L Tarabochia was contacted at his home by S/S Agent Ernest Arragon in reference to an alleged plot to assassinate President John F Kennedy.

Arragon revealed that according to information recieved by his Agency, RAFAEL ANSELMO RODRIGUEZ MOLINS, a naturalized US citizen of Dominican ancestry, was en route from Chicago, to Miami to attempt the assassination of JFK next time he arrives in West palm Beach. The subject also known as RAFAEL MOLINA, is a W/M, 39, 5ft 10ins, Brown eyes, black receding hair and wears glasses. He is known to disguise himself as a priest, and carries a weapon concealed in a Camera case. Since the subject has a badly infected foot, he probably walks with a limp. Arragon added that the subject was to contact a Cuban male in the Miami area before before proceeding to West Palm Beach, the contact, ARMANDO PABLO ESTRADA QUINTANA was amember of the exile forces that attempted the invasion of Cuba on April 17th 1961. Lopez is married, and his wifes name is MERCEDES LOPEZ.

FURTHER INFORMATION RECIEVED JAN 12th 1962.

The subject (Estrada) was observed at his residence, Jackson Heights NY, Lopez Estrada was a member of the Havana Police force prior to the fall of the Batista regime. Because of his participation in the abortive invasion attempt, he still recieves a monthly check from the CUBAN REVOLUTIONARY COUNCIL.Arragon advises that both subjects, Estrada and Molino, had been located in Chicago on Jan 11th 1962.

Found on a Cuban exile website. If true very interesting as it highlights early activity amoung ANTI CASTRO CUBAN GROUPS, In particular the CUBAN REVOLUTIONARY COUNCIL In attempted assassination attempts. Anyone have any further info on this. Steve.

It's interesting that Detective Tarabochia couldn't get the subject Latino's name right, referring to him variously as (Rafael Anselmo Rodriquez) Molins, Molina, and (in a follow-up 1/12 memo at the exile website) Molino.

Based on what I know of Spanish surnames, the last name was probably Molina. One is then reminded that there was also a Rodriquez Molina (first name Jose) who worked at the TSBD, who belonged to an allegedly subversive group (the G.I. Forum), was questioned by police soon after the assassination, and lost his job as a result of it all (at least by his own account).

According to the TSBD Molina's WC testimony, he was born and raised in Dallas, and had worked at the TSBD for 16 years. It therefore seems safe to assume that two JFK suspects named Rodriquez Molina (one in 1962 and the other in 1963) is just another dadgum coincidence, given their different backgrounds and different first names. But it's conceivable that they were kin to each other.

Guest Stephen Turner
It's interesting that Detective Tarabochia couldn't get the subject Latino's name right, referring to him variously as (Rafael Anselmo Rodriquez) Molins, Molina, and (in a follow-up 1/12 memo at the exile website) Molino.

Based on what I know of Spanish surnames, the last name was probably Molina. One is then reminded that there was also a Rodriquez Molina (first name Jose) who worked at the TSBD, who belonged to an allegedly subversive group (the G.I. Forum), was questioned by police soon after the assassination, and lost his job as a result of it all (at least by his own account).

According to the TSBD Molina's WC testimony, he was born and raised in Dallas, and had worked at the TSBD for 16 years. It therefore seems safe to assume that two JFK suspects named Rodriquez Molina (one in 1962 and the other in 1963) is just another dadgum coincidence, given their different backgrounds and different first names. But it's conceivable that they were kin to each other.

Ron, "Molino" is a typo by yours truely, the Latino version of the name was definately Molina. So your right two Rodriguez Molina's, as you say probably just a coinsidence. I will do some more digging but I feel a "Ray Lee harvey" moment comming on. Thanks Steve.

Ron, "Molino" is a typo by yours truely

Au contraire, it is spelled "Molino" in the 1/12 memo you quoted. (The moral: Never take credit for someone else's mistake.)

http://216.97.42.106/doc_026-050/doc0028.html

Ron

Guest Stephen Turner

Ron, "Molino" is a typo by yours truely

Au contraire, it is spelled "Molino" in the 1/12 memo you quoted. (The moral: Never take credit for someone else's mistake.)

http://216.97.42.106/doc_026-050/doc0028.html

Ron

Yep, reading back over it your right. Guess the "poor dumb Cop" couldnt spell. I usually commit so many typo's excepting the blame has become a knee-jerk reaction.

Ron, "Molino" is a typo by yours truely, the Latino version of the name was definately Molina. So your right two Rodriguez Molina's, as you say probably just a coinsidence. I will do some more digging but I feel a "Ray Lee harvey" moment comming on. Thanks Steve.

----------------------------------------

Alphonse "Al" Tarabochia, was just one more JM/WAVE asset, who like Cesar Diosdado, was placed inside local law enforcement as "cover". Al Tarabochia, while serving as a staff investigator for "The Eastland Committee", was tasked to work inside the offices of, the then Dade County Sheriff, Tom Kelly.

[Just as with Diosdado, et al., Tarabochia's salary was re-imbursed by the CIA, to both the "eastland Comm." & the D.C.S.O. !!]

Sheriff Kelly was none to happy with having this "insider" from the intelligence community spying on his own operations, much less, doing the work of Castro's intelligence services. Sheriff Kelly's biggest complaint was that: Not only did Tarabochia mimic the FBI, US Customs, ATTU, et al.: Use of "foreign agent' snitches, but repeatedly thwarted arrests of JM/WAVE Americans and Cubans -- who had been detained while transporting weapons and explosives.

[The only "legal" snitches were pogues like Vince Hannard, et al. -- who were officially registered with the Dept. of Justice under the F.A.R.A. ["Foreign Agents Registration Act"]. Miami was "crawling" with these "quasi-legitimate" foreign agents, most of whom had multiple employers, E.g.: Trujillo, Somoza, Duvalier, Perez Jimenez, Rojas Pinilla, etc., etc. !!]

Because Sheriff Kelly was a Brigadier General in the Florida National Guard, he was forced to stifle any comments about that situation, save for chats with fellow "Guardsmen". Moreover, he was instrumental in de-activating the CIA created "Army Reserve?" Special Forces unit [Green Berets], and transferring all of its members to a newly created Fla. Army Nat'l Guard SF unit [C/3/20th SFG(Abn)].

The headquarters for this unit was located in a federally funded "Army Reserve" operations building, then located in front of the University of Miami's main campus [south Dixie Highway & University Drive].

Many of the SF troopers had been sent to Guatemala as instructors for the BOP BA2506 Brigade. They were an adjunct to Lansdale's Filipino buddy, Col. Napoleon D. Valeriano [a/k/a/ "Col. Vallejo"], and his crew of mercenaries, whom the Brigade Cubans nicknamed the "Blackhawks", after the then popular comic strip.

Two Guatemalan army officers deserted from their Puerto Barrios base [November 1960], and lodged themselves as guerrillas in the upper Peten Plateau country -- the SFers and "Operation Puma" Cuba exile pilots were dispatched to bomb these allegedly "Castro Supported" insurgents.

"Simulated" Detective Alphonse Tarabochia, was amongst those attending the November 17th, 1963 MI "briefing" at [sW 12th Ave & 1st St.] which set-up the additional security details for JFK's visit to MIA the following afternoon.

Gaeton Fonzi will tell you how he and Joe were ordered to "avoid" extensive contacts with Tarabochia [and others]; said H.S.C.A. orders came directly from Blakey. This turned out to be an identical case with the 1990s A.R.R.B. pogues.

Armando Estrada had worked under Esteban Ventura [s.I.M.] and Marriano Faget [b.R.A.C.] under Batista.

He was onboard the m/v Santa Ana with Jorge Mas Canosa during the GITMO "Northwoods Op"; was investigated by Gene Propper, et al.!! This was because of his having attended both the DomRep C.O.R.U. meetings, and the R/V with the Chilean Admiral [Alexandria, VA] just before the Letelier assassination.

[The rest you can find on the Web.]

Chairs,

GPH

Gerry,

It's time for me to ask a dumb question, which I have put off for some time. What is a pogue? (I just learned the other day from Stephen what a sprog is, so this forum is a good vocabulary builder among other things.)

Ron

Gerry,

It's time for me to ask a dumb question, which I have put off for some time. What is a pogue? (I just learned the other day from Stephen what a sprog is, so this forum is a good vocabulary builder among other things.)

Ron

--------------------------

In the Marines [Royal Marines & U.S.M.C.] a "Pogue" can be a "Moper", a "Layabout", a "Loafer", a "Malingerer", "Nobody-of-any-Importance", a "R.E.M.F." (Rear Echelon M....r F..ker),etc. !!

HERE ARE SOME MORE:

http://www.poguego.com/index.php?p=22&more=1&c=1

Monday, March 1, 2004

Pogue Is A Pogue

I've always dug the word "pogue", a military-based epithet less militant than "faggot" and definitely more mysterious than "fudge-packing butt pirate". Based on an entry in Wicked Words I owned YEARS ago, I convolutedly misunderstood that the 40s/50s term "pogey bait" was bait (candy, money, comics, those string-attached tin can phones, I assume) used to lure a minor (the "pogue") who was then used to lure a homosexual into an act of gay sex resulting in arrest. This was back when homosexuality was an abomination instead of merely an embarrassment. However, upon further research (internet and otherwise) it looks like "pogey bait" is actually the young man used to entrap a homosexual (the "pogue"). So what's really in aname? It seems purses, kisses, snacks, candies, fishes, languid soldiers, passive homosexuals, and drink. Everything to which I aspire and more.

acronymfinder.com

"POGUE [not an acronym] Derogatory military slang used by front line troops to describe staff and other rear echelon or support units/troops."

urbandictionary.com

"pogey bait - The Marines in China before WW II were issued candy (Baby Ruths, Tootsie Rolls, etc.) as part of their ration supplements. At the time, sugar and other assorted sweets were rare commodities in China and much in demand by the Chinese, so the troops found the candy useful for barter in town. The Chinese word for prostitute, roughly translated, is 'pogey.' Thus, Marines being Marines, candy became 'Pogey Bait.'"

The Oxford Dictionary of Slang (ed. John Ayto) cites "pogue" as first appearing in 1912 and "applied to bag or purse or wallet," whereas the US denotation of "pogey bait" is "applied to sweets or more broadly to snacks."

In an ongoing debate about the word & phrase at The Phrase Finder, the thread points out that "Robert L. Chapman, in Dictionary of American Slang, Third Edition (1995), writes that 'pogey' comes 'perhaps fr[om] the common name of the trash fish menhaden, as suggesting something cheap, common, and to be caught with bait; perhaps fr[om] the Southern pronunciation of "porgy", another fish of a similar quality' and 'pogey bait' is 'so called because they could be used in the seduction of boys and young men, "pogue", into homosexual acts.'" Someone adds: "Interestingly, 'Pogy' in 1811 was slang for 'drunk' It prevailed until perhaps 1890 in the U.K. but survived longer in the U.S., according to Eric Partridge's Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English: 'pogy' with a hard 'g,' meaning tipsy. He doesn't say how much longer." [side note: Mad "props" to me for handling those quotes--it was difficult!]

Robert Owen Scott Jr.'s exhaustive gay online dictionary elucidates the modern connotations:

"pogue: 1. (POHG) A youthful male homosexual.; 2 The willing or unwilling partner of a male homosexual. Synonyms: punk. pogie pogy; poggie or poggy pogey." [update: He could be dead, but make a contribution by hosting his site.]

Finally, Caleb Crain makes an interesting reference to pogue through everyone's favorite queer man-eater, Herman Melville:

"A twentieth-century viewer of the painting ['Le radeau de la Méduse'] cannot help but notice what a twentieth-century viewer would call homoeroticism. In fact, the twentieth- century viewer may see little else. The 1989 edition of the Guide des collections of the Louvre makes no mention of cannibalism in its commentary on the painting.2 But as a coded reference to homosexuality, the painting pops up in odd places. The Raft of the Medusa is the name of a play that ran in Greenwich Village last year about a support group for people with AIDS. And several years ago, the Irish folk-punk group The Pogues ('pogue' is early twentieth-century American slang for a passive homosexual) put the painting on the cover of their album Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash. Géricault and his audience must also have seen this homoeroticism, but they probably understood it differently, as a kind of symbolic thinking, where one violation of social norms stood for another. It was understood that men did not normally do this with their bodies. The unusual male-male intimacy was representing an extremity too grisly for canvas." – Caleb Crain, "Lovers of Human Flesh: Homosexuality and Cannibalism in Melville's Novels"

Fun Fact: the Gaelic pog, sometimes spelled pogue, as in punk's The Pogues, means kiss. The Pogues were originally Pogue Mahone meaning litterally "kiss my ass," which further proves anarchy rules. Via KJQ.

Fun Fact #2: "'Pogue' is used as a surname 1 time for every 33,333 unique names in the US", which somehow works out to about 780 actual Pogues running around this great nation of ours. Hot!

[updated 8/9/04.]

Guest Stephen Turner

Anyone have any information on what Orlando Bosch Avila was up to in early 1961, all I have is he flee's Cuba in early 1960, and relocates in Miami. By 31st Aug same year he is a leading figure in the exile terrorist group MIRR. Thanks Steve.

Anyone have any information on what Orlando Bosch Avila was up to in early 1961, all I have is he flee's Cuba in early 1960, and relocates in Miami. By 31st Aug same year he is a leading figure in the exile terrorist group MIRR. Thanks Steve.

Steve,

I hope I get this right, but I believe Bosch defected in July of 1960. Until then he was Chief of the 26th of July movement in Las Villas Provence. Around August of 1960, Bosch formed the heart of MIRR.

Early 1961, Bosch was mixing with Frank Sturgis and Alexander Rorke in Miami while calling for the defection of Rebel officers.

James

Edited by James Richards

Guest Stephen Turner

Thanks James, that seems to jibe with the timings I Have. I am probably barking up the wrong tree here. But the two protagenists seem a bit low on the Cuban exile food chain to have cooked this up by themselves, And with Bosch already established in Miami, Well guess you can see where my thought processess are going. Need to mucho more research..Steve.

Armando Estrada had worked under Esteban Ventura [s.I.M.] and Marriano Faget [b.R.A.C.] under Batista.

He was onboard the m/v Santa Ana with Jorge Mas Canosa during the GITMO "Northwoods Op"; was investigated by Gene Propper, et al.!! This was because of his having attended both the DomRep C.O.R.U. meetings, and the R/V with the Chilean Admiral [Alexandria, VA] just before the Letelier assassination. (Gerry Hemming)

This Armando Estrada, is he the same guy who went through Benning with Posada Carriles, Felix Rodriguez and Mas Canosa?

James