The Education Forum

Dallas request to Quigley

John Quigley was an FBI Agent in new Orleans. He interviewed LHO on August 10, 1963 in the NO jail.

During his WC testimony, Quigley was asked:

Mr. STERN. Have you found subsequent to this interview, Mr. Quigley, that you had any other contact with the case of Lee Harvey Oswald before this interview?

Mr. QUIGLEY. Yes; I discovered at the time I checked our files that on April 18, 1961, I had; as a result of a request of the Dallas office, chocked the office of naval intelligence records at the U.S. Naval Station at Algiers. My purpose in checking that was merely to record what information their flies contained.

Mr. STERN. And then you would send a report to that effect to the Dallas office?

Mr. QUIGLEY. I sent a letter I believe in that particular case.

In 1961, LHO was in Russia. Does anyone know anything about this request from Dallas, and what Quigley's letter contained?

Steve Thomas

John Quigley was an FBI Agent in new Orleans. He interviewed LHO on August 10, 1963 in the NO jail.

During his WC testimony, Quigley was asked:

Mr. STERN. Have you found subsequent to this interview, Mr. Quigley, that you had any other contact with the case of Lee Harvey Oswald before this interview?

Mr. QUIGLEY. Yes; I discovered at the time I checked our files that on April 18, 1961, I had; as a result of a request of the Dallas office, chocked the office of naval intelligence records at the U.S. Naval Station at Algiers. My purpose in checking that was merely to record what information their flies contained.

Mr. STERN. And then you would send a report to that effect to the Dallas office?

Mr. QUIGLEY. I sent a letter I believe in that particular case.

In 1961, LHO was in Russia. Does anyone know anything about this request from Dallas, and what Quigley's letter contained?

Steve Thomas

Steve:

According to John Newman's "Oswald & The CIA," Quigley was responding to a specific request that resulted from a convergence of interest being expressed in Comrade Oswald. His mother had been hounding State for information about his whereabouts and why he hadn't responded to letters she'd written him. State in turn expressed its concern to several possible sources of data, including the Bureau. Hoover had already penned the memo in which he expressed concern that Oswald was being impersonated. A Washington FBI SA named Haser had already agitated for Oswald's file to be reopened the prior September, but had been overruled. When he restated the basis for doing so eight months later, it led to Dallas's request to New Orleans, which led to Quigley's review of ONI files. He seems to have recited the contents of the ONI files on Oswald in his subsequent memo, capped by the suggestion that if Dallas or Fort Worth wished anything further, that either FBI office should check the ONI files at Carswell AFB.

This seems to have been so much bureaucratic bookkeeping and paper-pushing.

FWIW.....

• 6 months later...

Robert,

This seems to have been so much bureaucratic bookkeeping and paper-pushing.

Thank you. I was struck by the coincidence that this was coming right around the time of the Bay of Pigs.

Hectic times.

Steve Thomas

[/quot

Newman, "Oswald and the CIA" p.212.

this information was forwarded by DIO 9ND two weeks later, comprising fourteen documents "which represent subject's intellignece file" to DIO 8ND on November 30, 1960. As of that date,about one week

before the CIA opened ist 201 file on Oswald. the ONI changed the Navy Field intelligence Unit watching the case from Glenview,Illinois, to Algiers, Louisiana.

The officer in charge of the DIO 8ND was navy captain F.O.C. Fletcher, and on January 11, 1961 he sent a

letter to the Dallas field office of the FBI, opening up a POTENTILLY IMPORTNT LATERAL INTERAGENCY CHANNEL ON OSWALD

From Ultimate Sacrifice by Lamar Waldron and Thom Hartmann

The new Orelans States item reported that Banister 'was a key liaison man for US government-sponsored anti-communist activities in Latin America, quoting a "close firend and advisorof Banister's as saying that "Guy particiapated inevery important ati-Communist South and Central American revolution which came along"

Confirmation of this can be found in one of the only Naval Intelligence documents ever released about Guy Banister....it confirms that Banister was working for the "General Counsel" of the "anti-Communist League of the Americas." On August 31, 1960-- a few months before the planned date of the first Guantanamo provocation--Banister wrote to a Naval Intelligence contact in New Oreans for the league, saying that "to have a successful revolution to overthrow the Castro government.... a unit of the Armed Forces must lead the revolution. By 1963, Bannister would be working for Carlos Marcello, but in 1960 he was still a former FBI supervisor high in New Orleans intelligence and far-right circles. The Cubans say

"the anti-Communist League of the Caribbean... was run by the CIA and was in contact with the US Embassy"

in Havana, "on the 5th floor of the Embassy." That would indicate that Havana CIA operations director David Morales was also involved in this first Guantanamo provocation. (pps.

This Provocation involved the Cuban refugees putting on CUban army uniforms and staging a fake attack on Guantanomo,in order to force JFK to send US military troops in a large number.

these "lateral interagency contacts between different ONI offices and between the ONI and three regional FBI offices (New Orleans, Dallas, and Washington field Office) suggest Bannisters' importance may have been as a connection between the elements of the CIA who, in 1963 were supposed to be working for a new liberal regime in CUba (if we are to believe Waldron and Hartmann) and perhaps more right wing elements who wanted to establish a new military dictatorship in Cuba.

What do members make of these "lateral interagency contacts" ? Does it imply that information could have been shared between local offices without the information passing up to the national offices,( or without the accountability of the national offices) Were these interagency contacts involving ONI instrumental in utilizing the Kennedy's Cuba plans for late 1963 64 to help facilitate the assassination? Could elements of the CIA working under Bobby for AMWORLD have shared elements of the Kennedys plans for Cuba with this ONI nexus?