The Education Forum

Goosecreek?

Has anyone ever heard anything about something called Goosecreek?

I was looking in the NARA database for something else and ran across a couple of entries like this 1963 CIA memo from Tokyo to Washington:

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : CIA

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10176-10018

RECORDS SERIES : JFK

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 80T01357A

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : CIA

TO : WASHINGTON

TITLE : WILLIAM H. MARTIN WAS ADMITTED CONTACT GEORGE

PERISTEROPOLOS.

DATE : 01/01/1963

PAGES : 2

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER - TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : GOOSECREEK; JFK ASSASSINATION

CLASSIFICATION :

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : RELEASED WITH DELETIONS

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 06/16/2004

COMMENTS : JFK64-12 : F6 : 20040303-1053483 :

and this 1961 memo from Washington to Frankfurt:

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10185-10362

RECORDS SERIES : JFK

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 80T01357A

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : CIA

TO : FRANKFURT

TITLE : CABLE: RE PARA 1 REF, CONCUR. RE PARA 4, HAVE

DISCUSSED

DATE : 04/20/1961

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER - TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : GOOSECREEK; QJWIN

CLASSIFICATION : TOP SECRET

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 08/11/1998

COMMENTS : JFK64-20 : F13 : 1998.08.11.19:30:06:123031 :

I thought the subject line in both these memos was kind of interesting.

Steve Thomas

Guest Stephen Turner

Steve, its probably nothing but a quick search reveals that Goosecreek South Carolina, has ballistic missile subs moored at the Naval weapons station there, also located here is a Nuclear power school.

Edited to add, This information is good for pre 1963, there is also a Goosecreek Texas, the things you learn from search engines.....

Edited by Stephen Turner

• 2 years later...
Since the documents are labeled "Open in Full", can they just be ordered?

I would imagine Goosecreek would be possibly connected to ZR/GRACE.

ZR/GRACE for all apparent purposes, seems to be intimately connected to the defection of NSA Employees Martin and Mitchell....

You may get a kick out of the following document regarding Sheila Bowater aka Lady Zorro.......

MEMORANDUM: FOLLOW-UP OF INFORMATION FROM SHEILA BOWATER AKA LORRING AKA" LADY ZORRO" WHO CLAIMED TO HAVE MET WILLIAM HAMILTON MARTIN IN LONDON IN JULY 1960

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=467799

17 OCTOBER 1960

MEMORANDUM FOR: Mr. Harvey

SUBJECT: Follow-up of information from Sheila BOWATER aka LORRING aka" LADY ZORRO" who claimed to have met William Hamilton MARTIN in London in July 1960

1. With reference to your question this morning on subject, the writer called Mr J.D. Noell and asked him to inquire of NSA regarding the degree of evidence they placed in subjects claim and whether or not they had taken or planned to take any measures to follow up the so-called London leads.

2. Mr Noell called back at 1600 hours today to advise as follows:

a. NSA Office of Security Officials stated that BOWATER was obviously “very weird.” They indicated that during each interview she has showed evidence of having imbibed heavily in the very recent past as well as showing signs of being still under the effect of the “Bennies” she admitted taking. All of these characteristics would normally tend to discredit her story of having had contact with MARTIN, particularly with her claim to met him in London. However the details of her claims regarding the Baltimore and local area sessions with MARTIN are corroborated in sufficient detail by the two other individuals involved in some of these contacts, i.e. Rachel or Rachael LORRING and Nancy GREEN that there can be no doubt as to the fact that she at least was telling the truth with respect to being intimate with MARTIN at various times within the past two years in the U.S.A. As a result, her experiences in London, NSA feels, cannot be entirely disbelieved, and deserve checking out.

b. In this regard, NSA advised that although subjects allegations concerning meeting with MARTIN while she was in Blackpool, England do not jibe in any way with information from other sources who have provided information regarding the route taken by M & M from Cuba to Moscow they have reinterrogated her following publication of the last report and have obtained sufficient factual data on other persons she claims to have met in England as well as addresses data etc., to permit some check out of her claims. It is the opinion of NSA investigators however that as a result of the combined effect of subjects indulgence in alcohol and use of “Bennies” and obviously wide circle of male acquaintances from her pursuit of the“oldest profession in the world” she may have transferred identities with respect to her claim of having met MARTIN in London in July of this year. NSA feels that Page 2

aforementioned story related by SUBJECT in the belief she was telling the truth, may have been a composite of actual fact (in belief she was tellng the truth) hallucination and/or mistaken identity or a variation on this theme stimulated by her preoccupation with recollecting the actual facts of her contact with MARTIN and transferral to herself of some of the notoriety connected with his disappearance subject. Joe Noell indicated that he is inclined to go along with this idea, and thinks she probably met someone who bore a physical resemblance to MARTIN resulting in her now believing it was MARTIN.

c. NSA investigators are sufficiently concerned with this aspect of the case that have on the basis of the addresses, additional biographic data and/or descriptions subject provided on her other London and Blackpool they have requested the FBI to follow up these leads with the British through the FBI office in London. Consequently, it looks as if CIA is out of this phase of the investigation until such time as the Bureau makes a report of their findings, providing us with a copy of any memo they may write to NSA, or we obtain this information indirectly i.e., in future NSA reports which will incorporate such information as the FBI may forward to them.

3. In addition to the leads furnished by BOWATER however, NSA has developed a few additional leads on this case, two of which leads appears to be former friends of either MITCHELL or MARTIN. Sex of these individuals was not mentioned. One is reportedly now in East Africa, while the second is believed currently to be in Iran or Iraq. Mr. Noell advised that he was going out to NSA on Wednesday, at which time he would attempt to obtain more information concerning these two individuals.

Steve, its probably nothing but a quick search reveals that Goosecreek South Carolina, has ballistic missile subs moored at the Naval weapons station there, also located here is a Nuclear power school.

Stephen, I think you got it. Polaris nuclear missiles were assembled and maintained there from about 1960. The Russians were spying on the testing via a disguised trawler named Vega. The NSA used similar spying methods.

WILLIAM HAMILTON MARTIN

Robert, interesting name to bring up. I've recently been considering the possibility he and Mitchell provided the info which led to Powers being brought down.

Steve, yes. Definitely worth getting hold of both.

Stephen, I think you got it. Polaris nuclear missiles were assembled and maintained there from about 1960. The Russians were spying on the testing via a disguised trawler named Vega. The NSA used similar spying methods.

WILLIAM HAMILTON MARTIN

Robert, interesting name to bring up. I've recently been considering the possibility he and Mitchell provided the info which led to Powers being brought down.

Steve, yes. Definitely worth getting hold of both.

Regarding the undercurrents or, subplots in the Kennedy Assassination saga there are two items that, as far as I can tell, sort of drape over the assassination in certain areas, that perhaps were not very obvious to researchers at that time.

Those being...the International Drug trade and to a certain degree, Cold War intrigues regarding nuclear materials.

If the Federal Bureau of Narcotics operations and records had been thoroughly brought to the fore in the Warren Commission investigation, the obfuscation regarding Jack Ruby's involvement in the mob's drug operations would not have been a secret, and with regards to nuclear materials, I would point out the following. Amidst the battle between JFK and the CIA regarding Patrice Lumumba, I do not believe anyone has ever brought up the fact that underneath all that land in the Belgian Congo were large quantities of uranium. In fact according to Admiral Ellis Biorklund, the only areas in the world which possessed more uranium than the Belgian Congo were the United States and the USSR.

See book, International Atomic Policy during a decade 1945-1955 Appendix 2 page 143

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone ever heard anything about something called Goosecreek?

I was looking in the NARA database for something else and ran across a couple of entries like this 1963 CIA memo from Tokyo to Washington:

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10176-10018

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10185-10362

SUBJECTS : GOOSECREEK; QJWIN

Both these documents are on the Mary Ferrell site in the CIA's microfilm collection.

The second memo is to Bill Harvey and it says that the sender is reluctant to send QJWIN to Leopoldville until after he gets a chance to talk to Harvey when he returns from whatever trip Harvey is on.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=2

Still don't know what Goosecreek is yet though.

Steve Thomas

Still don't know what Goosecreek is yet though.

Steve Thomas

This document:

has information about possible QJWIN contacts and possible sources for recruitment.

This document:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=1

has information about a George Peristeropoulos (AKA George Peris) (AKA George Paris) and possible espionage connected with a Tokyo nightclub called "Tomorrow is Too Late."

Does anyone know what was on the Tokyo nightclub pass Oswald was carrying when he was arrested?

Steve Thomas

• 7 years later...

Reviving this thread...I notice there are two lines of GOOSECREEK...when running traces on the NSA defectors and when running traces on leads from QJWIN. Both involve Bill Harvey doing some heavy lifting at Staff D. My speculative read on GOOSECREEK is that it is the slugline used when requests are made for traces or other assistance from Staff D. The term GOOSECREEK probably derives from the need to engage in a wild goose chase to put together obscure references on a very important subject.