The Education Forum

James Allred Jr.

Hello folks, I am new to this forum. I was wondering if any of you have come across the name James Allred Jr. in your research? He is supposed to have flown Edwin Walker to Ole' Miss. on 9/29/62. He is said by FBI to be a dedicated follower of Walker, and a member of Dallas JBS. His middle initial shows up in FBI docs as V. or D. ,although it seems to be the same guy.

Thanks, Bill

Hello folks, I am new to this forum. I was wondering if any of you have come across the name James Allred Jr. in your research? He is supposed to have flown Edwin Walker to Ole' Miss. on 9/29/62. He is said by FBI to be a dedicated follower of Walker, and a member of Dallas JBS. His middle initial shows up in FBI docs as V. or D. ,although it seems to be the same guy.

Thanks, Bill

Bill,

The middle initial is V. He was the son of Federal District Judge and former Texas Governor James V. Allred who died of a heart attack in 1959.

During the 1950's, James Allred Jr. was part of the Air National Guard as a fighter pilot in the 181st Fighter Squadron.

FWIW.

James

Bill,

I can't help you, but I think it's ironic that Walker would have a pilot named Allred working for him.

I used to know an Allred. Not too bright. I don't think I would trust him flying a plane. He once drove his car through the carwash at the paper mill with all the windows down.

After that, whenever someone did something stupid, it was called "pulling an Allred."

Ron

Thanks, Bill

Bill,

The middle initial is V. He was the son of Federal District Judge and former Texas Governor James V. Allred who died of a heart attack in 1959.

During the 1950's, James Allred Jr. was part of the Air National Guard as a fighter pilot in the 181st Fighter Squadron.

FWIW.

James

Thanks James for the photo. Yes, I belive that James V. the Gov... is James Jr's. dad. However I have FBI docs that list one 'James D.Allred Jr., and it's fairly evident that they are refering to the same person. Not uncommon in FBI material, tho I'd like to nail it down to do a FOIA. Wife's name in one doc is Jeanne Allred, who was seperated from him. The FBI alledges that he was involved in gun running OP's, and made frequent runs to Mexico.

Bill

Bill,

As to any FOIA applications, his full name was James Burr V. Allred Jr,. The V didn't actually stand for anything.

Interesting regarding the alleged gun running. Do you have any more details on that?

Cheers,

James

James,

By letterdated 4/30/64, the Dallas office furnished the following information:

In view of James V. Allred's known sympathy for Former General Edwin A. Walker, and Walker's known feelings towards immediate intervention in communist controlled Cuba, it was deemed quite likely that Allred was engaged in some type of gun smuggling or other type activities to assist Cuban exiles in raids against communist controlled Cuba.

Allred obtained Passport and Visas for eight Central American counties in New Orleans, 12/14/62.

• 13 years later...
I thought I would revive this thread with some new information, Jeanne Allred contacted FBI on 12/3/63 with many contentions re her husband who separated from her on 5/5/63.  all those below, and thought she saw a money envelope w Oswald's name on it.  She was living in Laredo by 12/3/63.

Check out this FBI mug shot and make of General Walker - done circa 1965-66.

JAMES ALLRED, son of former Texas governor James V Allred, flew Walker to Jackson, MI on 9/29/62, based on research found in Jeffrey Caufield's book General Walker and the Murder of President Kennedy, at p. 357.  Caulfield states that the two men aided smuggling guns to anti-Castro Cubans and that the FBI learned about it in April 1964.  All this is supported by these redacted files - better copies may exist at the Archives.

As stated above, the FBI learned about it as early as 12/3/63 from Mrs. Jeanne Allred.  Her husband had left her in May 1963.  

Both in December and then again in July 1964, Mrs. Allred said her former husband like LHO belonged to the "Youth Freedom Society" - she said it was a pro-Cuban group.  She apparently confused the FPCC with this group.  Even more fascinating is her recollection that she saw her husband with copies of the Worker.  the Communist Party paper from NYC.  She had an uncertain recollection of Oswald's name on a pay envelope.   She said her husband would do anything for money. 

Allred moved to Brazil and was killed flying a plane in Paraguay in 1965.   The Walker evidence needs a deeper look - the Cubans may not have been his focus, but their networks certainly seem to intersect.  Review of the existing files on Felipe Vidal Santiago/AMQUIP-1 may be the most direct pathway.

Paraguay - kind of suggestive. Interesting stuff you’ve dug up, as always.

btw I subscribed to newspapers.com, which I think you used to find the article on Allred’s death. Is there a way to search for names or short phrases and have the results only represent the full phrase or name?