The Education Forum

Archive newspaper, film footage

Does anybody know where (either on or offline) I might find some good archives for newspapers and tv stations from the 70's and 80's. I would assume that ABC and large media services such as these would have large archives. Are they accessible by the public via the internet?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

John

Does anybody know where (either on or offline) I might find some good archives for newspapers and tv stations from the 70's and 80's. I would assume that ABC and large media services such as these would have large archives. Are they accessible by the public via the internet?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

John

Hi John.

I make use of these frequently - NY Times and Washington Post. You can find similar archives for many larger newspapers by doing a simple Google search, if you are looking for a specific geographical area.

Looks like a new format for Washington Post - scroll down for the older stuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/searches/mainsrch.htm

NY Times

http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?srch...srcht=a&srchr=n

Output is in pdf format - you can save it to your local drive. Better to buy the package deal if you are looking for a lot of stuff within a given period. Also - make sure that the description looks close to what you are searching for, or you end up with a pdf file that has a bunch of worthless stuff in it.

I know that there are television network resources - I have never bothered looking into them on-line.

- lee

Does anybody know where (either on or offline) I might find some good archives for newspapers and tv stations from the 70's and 80's.

John

The best source for US newspapers, etc., is Lexis Nexis. I am not sure if the U.S. version is available in the UK or Ireland, but you might want to contact them. They are very customer-friendly. In the US version they have the NYTimes from 1980, as well as abstracts back to 1969. You can sign up for a two-week free trial. Just as an example of what you can find in Lexis Nexis, I found this item from Fox in a "Transcript" search

Copyright 2003 Fox News Network, LLC

Fox News Network

SHOW: FOX ON THE RECORD WITH GRETA VAN SUSTEREN (22:22)

November 10, 2003 Monday

Transcript # 111003cb.260

SECTION: News; Domestic

LENGTH: 1411 words

HEADLINE: Interviews With James Tague, Cyril Wecht, Michael Baden

GUESTS: James Tague; Dr. Cyril Wecht; Dr. Michael Baden

BYLINE: Greta Van Susteren

BODY:

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GOV. JOHN CONNALLY (TX), SHOT WHILE IN JFK'S CAR: The president had slumped in Mrs. Kennedy's lap. And when he was hit the second time, she said -- or the first time -- it all happened in such a brief span -- she said, Oh, my God, they've killed my husband. She said, Jack, Jack.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VAN SUSTEREN: This Sunday marks 40 years since President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Tonight there's still a raging debate over Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. Our next guest was an eyewitness to the shooting, and his injury may solve the mystery. James Tague joins us from Dallas. He's the author of "Truth Withheld: A Survivor's Story." Welcome, James.

JAMES TAGUE, JFK ASSASSINATION EYEWITNESS: Hello, Greta.

VAN SUSTEREN: James, do you think Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone?

TAGUE: Well, there's people that think he did, but there's also evidence that there was other people involved.

VAN SUSTEREN: All right. What evidence suggests that -- because the Warren commission, which President Johnson convened to investigate, concluded he acted alone. What evidence suggests that maybe he had some help or acted with someone else or at the direction of someone else?

TAGUE: Well, the compelling evidence for me that -- was when he was found in a lunchroom a minute and 15 seconds later by the building superintendent and a policeman, and he's calm, cool, collected and not out of breath. There was compelling evidence that -- but then you go up to the sixth floor, and he was up there, and there was three bullet shells found. So it can go either way there.

VAN SUSTEREN: All right. James, now, you were shot. What happened to you?

TAGUE: Well, I was going downtown to take a friend to lunch, and I got stopped in traffic, actually, right under the triple overpass. And the cars were stopped in front of me, so I got out to see what happened. And I was probably out of the car two, three seconds when I heard what I thought was a firecracker go off. I wasn't -- I didn't even -- I had read about the president being in town, but I hadn't put the two together until I got out of the car.

VAN SUSTEREN: All right, now, we have a photograph to put up of a -- it looks like a pen against a curb, showing -- there is the photograph. Now, there's an indentation in this curb. What does this photo show? What is this?

TAGUE: That was a photograph taken by Tom Dillard (ph), a photographer for "The Dallas Morning News," taken the next morning of where a bullet had hit the curb.

VAN SUSTEREN: All right. Now, we have another picture of a curb. The curb has been sectioned. I'm going to put that up for the viewers on the air. That -- no, it's a curb -- it's a piece- -there's -- where the curb has actually been sectioned. I don't know if we have that photograph.

TAGUE: OK.

VAN SUSTEREN: But go ahead and explain what happened.

TAGUE: Eight-and-a-half months later, the FBI finally cut that section of curb out of the street, sent it to the laboratory for examination, and it's now sitting in the National Archives.

VAN SUSTEREN: All right, but there's something significant because by the time it went to the archives, what had happened to it?

TAGUE: All right. Through the years, I had become friends with Harold Wiseberg (ph). He's the one that originally sued the government under the Freedom of Information Act to get the FBI documents released. And we had an ongoing argument. He'd say -- he'd examined the curb in the archives. And we had an ongoing debate. He said, Well, the curb's been patched. I says, Harold -- he says, There's no hole in it anymore. I says, Harold, there never was a hole. It just took a little bit of concrete out. He said, Well, it's been patched.

Finally, in 1997, I went to the National Archives with a magnifying glass to examine this curb. And assistant manager of the National Archives was in this room. Didn't need my magnifying glass. I says, It's been patched. And the assistant manager says, yes, I can I can see that.

And also, I did find and dug up, or Harold gave it to me, an engineering report where in 1983, a major magazine had commissioned an engineering firm to examine the curb, and they also determined that the curb had been patched.

VAN SUSTEREN: Which, of course, has led many to think that there has been some effort not to be totally candid in the investigation. James, we're going to continue with this discussion, but I want to thank you very much for joining us.

Does President Kennedy's autopsy hold the key to this mystery? Joining us in Dallas is forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden, and in Pittsburgh is forensic pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht, also the author of "Mortal Evidence."

Dr. Wecht, the Warren commission decided it was one single bullet that did it all. It's been called the "magic bullet." Do you agree with the Warren commission?

DR. CYRIL WECHT, FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST: I think the single bullet theory is scientifically untenable. I think it is the most ridiculous piece of purported scientific evidence ever foisted upon an unwitting public. And if my colleagues, including my dear friend, Dr. Baden, who'll be on shortly, would have just been involved in this initially and not sucked in by the federal government, they would have raised so many questions. They would have rejected this based upon several aspects -- the trajectory, the weight of the bullet, the condition of the bullet, the Zapruder film, the reactions of Governor Connally and -- John Connally, the movement of Kennedy when he was struck in the head, which is, of course, different from the single bullet theory, on the head wound and other evidence.

And then we've got additional things that have come in later years, from key medical people, including radiologists, who have studied these, and so on. There is just no way that the single bullet theory can be defended, based upon hard physics.

VAN SUSTEREN: Dr. Baden, the reason you and Dr. Wecht are so well- informed in this is because you were part of the congressional investigation in the late '70s...

DR. MICHAEL BADEN, FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST: Right.

VAN SUSTEREN: ... and went through it. Now, do you -- do you and Dr. Wecht agree? Do you believe a single bullet, the magic bullet, killed President Kennedy, as well as hurt Governor Connally?

BADEN: Yes. Not that it killed him. The first -- that President Kennedy was clearly struck -- this was in the autopsy and the other information -- struck twice from behind, from the sixth floor depository, book depository, where Oswald was, by the weapon that Oswald had purchased under an assumed name. The first bullet that struck the president struck him in the back, came out the neck and then struck Governor Connally, who had turned around to see the president after hearing the first shot that missed. And then the...

VAN SUSTEREN: Does that mean, Dr. Baden, that you support the Warren commission's report, that you agree they were right?

BADEN: Yes. I...

VAN SUSTEREN: Dr. Baden says that they were not. You say they were.

BADEN: Dr. Wecht says not. I agree with Dr. Wecht that the autopsy was done poorly by people who had never had any experience or training in doing gunshot wound injuries, and that leaves a lot of errors in the autopsy report. But in reevaluating everything, it was the 8-to-1 determination of our selection committee on assassination, Dr. Wecht being a very articulate disagreer, that it was one bullet that struck the president in the back, continued in a straight line, struck Governor Connally, and then was found on a stretcher. And it's not a magic bullet. It went in a straight line, like bullets are supposed to.

(CROSSTALK)

VAN SUSTEREN: All right, and you know what? And both of you are part of my tease. Both -- Dr. Baden -- both -- Dr. Wecht, both of you have gone through the autopsy, all the forensics, because -- I'm going to thank both of you, and now I'm going to tease the viewers because on Sunday night at 9:00 PM Eastern, we have a specific, "JFK: Case Not Closed." It marks the 40th anniversary of the president's assassination. We go through all the forensics.

And up next: Blockbuster testimony's expected at the Scott Peterson preliminary hearing this week. Will his defense deliver a counterpunch? We're taking the show back to Modesto starting tomorrow for that front row seat. And will Scott come face-to-face with his former lover within the next 72 hours? Will holiday mail (ph) seal his fate?

LOAD-DATE: November 11, 2003

Document 105 of 251.

Terms and Conditions | Privacy

Copyright © 2006 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Vanderbilt University has the largest archive of Television news. Searching the archive is free, all you have to do is register, but ordering tapes will cost an arm and a leg. It might be feasable for a group of researchers to share the cost.

http://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/about.pl?SID=...&auth=&code=TVN

Below is a sample page from a search of "Kennedy Assassination." In the actual database you click on the segment and it gives more detail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Account

Found 249 items where the Title or the Abstract contains the phrase kennedy assassination:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home > Search > View result listing > View Item Details > Select > Checkout

No. Date Headline Video Broadcast Type Network Begin Length

226 04/25/1975 Johnson Interview / 1969 / Kennedy Assassination Evening News CBS 05:45:20 pm 03:30

227 04/07/1975 Rockefeller Commission / Kennedy Assassination Evening News CBS 05:50:40 pm 02:00

228 03/10/1975 Analysis (Violent Events / Revisionist History) Evening News CBS 05:51:30 pm 02:40

229 03/10/1975 CIA / Oswald / Kennedy Assassination Evening News ABC 05:20:10 pm 00:20

230 12/16/1974 Sirhan Sirhan / Kennedy Assassination Evening News NBC 05:48:20 pm 02:20

231 12/16/1974 Robert Kennedy Assassination Evening News ABC 05:20:30 pm 00:20

232 11/22/1973 Kennedy Assassination / 10th Anniversary Evening News CBS 05:41:50 pm 09:50

233 10/03/1973 Kennedy Assassination / Oswald Family Evening News CBS 05:51:50 pm 00:50

234 08/20/1973 Garrison Trial Evening News NBC 05:51:50 pm 00:10

235 03/15/1973 Kennedy Assassination / Dallas Building Evening News CBS 05:57:00 pm 00:20

236 11/23/1972 Commentary (J. F. Kennedy Assassination) Evening News ABC 05:25:50 pm 02:00

237 11/20/1972 Shaw Case Evening News ABC 05:21:20 pm 00:10

238 11/02/1972 Journal (`72 Election Perspective) Evening News NBC 05:45:30 pm 02:20

239 05/15/1972 United States Assassinations Evening News CBS 05:45:00 pm 01:20

240 06/30/1971 Garrison Indictment Evening News CBS 05:52:50 pm 01:50

241 06/30/1971 Garrison Indictment Evening News NBC 00:16:40 am 01:50

242 04/09/1970 LBJ / Washington, DC / Ike Evening News NBC 00:26:20 am 00:50

243 11/07/1969 Garrison / John F. Kennedy Assassination Evening News ABC 00:20:10 am 02:50

244 12/16/1968 Commentary (Electoral College) Evening News CBS 00:09:20 am 02:20

245 12/09/1968 John F. Kennedy Assassination / Shaw / Garrison Evening News ABC 00:22:10 am 00:30

246 12/06/1968 Professional Baseball Evening News ABC 00:24:30 am 02:00

247 12/05/1968 Sirhan Trial Evening News CBS 00:23:10 am 00:20

248 11/26/1968 Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson Evening News NBC 00:17:50 am 05:00

249 11/11/1968 Nixon / Plot Evening News ABC 00:13:10 am 01:00

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10