The Education Forum

AMCLATTER-1

And as usual it would be bad to bet against James...

I can verify from a number of sources that it's Barker.

Also, I will be including as many crypts as possible in the index of the second

edition of my book and can hopefully make reading CIA documents of the

period a lot less painful.

Thanks James and Larry - I knew the 'cuban experts' would know :rolleyes:

Look forward to reading the crypts in your book Larry. It is extremely confusing trying to read a document with numerous references to a codename and trying to work out who/what it is. I have found some pages on CIA crypts on the web but not all of them are listed.

Have you by any chance come across one called OZ or maybe OS COIN? I couldn't tell exactly from the document as it wasn't very clear. It's a document I came across when doing some work on Clay Shaw. One of his associates apparently had clearance for this project but I haven't been able to find out what it is.

Thanks James and Larry - I knew the 'cuban experts' would know :rolleyes:

Look forward to reading the crypts in your book Larry. It is extremely confusing trying to read a document with numerous references to a codename and trying to work out who/what it is. I have found some pages on CIA crypts on the web but not all of them are listed.

Have you by any chance come across one called OZ or maybe OS COIN? I couldn't tell exactly from the document as it wasn't very clear. It's a document I came across when doing some work on Clay Shaw. One of his associates apparently had clearance for this project but I haven't been able to find out what it is.

According to this, it is Barker amclatter-1

Wonder what the training was?

And who Steve was?

Edited by Greg Parker

Thanks James and Larry - I knew the 'cuban experts' would know :)

According to this, it is Baker amclatter-1

And who Steve was?

Greg,

That is a very interesting document. In the beginning section it says, "Kusoda working on hotel reservation." Kusoda is the cryptonym for 'CIA Interrogator'. That is kind of curious.

As to what Barker was doing in 1964, he was moving CIA funds to Manuel Artime's group in Nicaragua.

James

Thanks James and Larry - I knew the 'cuban experts' would know :)

According to this, it is Baker amclatter-1

And who Steve was?

Greg,

That is a very interesting document. In the beginning section it says, "Kusoda working on hotel reservation." Kusoda is the cryptonym for 'CIA Interrogator'. That is kind of curious.

As to what Barker was doing in 1964, he was moving CIA funds to Manuel Artime's group in Nicaragua.

James

Possibly something more going on than simply shifting money? I'm just as curious as you as to why an interrogator would be involved in renting the room. Also whether the room was where the "training" was to take place, and just what sort of training is needed to send funds, anyway - and for a whole month? Uh uh. I don't buy it.

Possibly something more going on than simply shifting money? I'm just as curious as you as to why an interrogator would be involved in renting the room. Also whether the room was where the "training" was to take place, and just what sort of training is needed to send funds, anyway - and for a whole month? Uh uh. I don't buy it. (Greg Parker)

Greg,

I don't buy it either.

Not being so bright, I have only just realized that the document has a third page. It is signed by Desmond Fitzgerald and a guy by the name of Charles J. Francis. The Namebase web site has him listed but there is no network available and only that his name appears in the October 15 edition of the Washington Post.

There is a Charles J. Francis from the National Guild of Hypnotists but surely that can't be him? Any ideas who this guy is?

Also, given the timing of this document to JM/WAVE (July 1964), it becomes even more curious being only 7 odd months on from the assassination. Especially so when Barker's money shifting at the time was to Artime and his group which included Rafael Quintero.

James

Possibly something more going on than simply shifting money? I'm just as curious as you as to why an interrogator would be involved in renting the room. Also whether the room was where the "training" was to take place, and just what sort of training is needed to send funds, anyway - and for a whole month? Uh uh. I don't buy it. (Greg Parker)

Greg,

I don't buy it either.

Not being so bright, I have only just realized that the document has a third page. It is signed by Desmond Fitzgerald and a guy by the name of Charles J. Francis. The Namebase web site has him listed but there is no network available and only that his name appears in the October 15 edition of the Washington Post.

There is a Charles J. Francis from the National Guild of Hypnotists but surely that can't be him? Any ideas who this guy is?

Also, given the timing of this document to JM/WAVE (July 1964), it becomes even more curious being only 7 odd months on from the assassination. Especially so when Barker's money shifting at the time was to Artime and his group which included Rafael Quintero.

James

James, hypnosis is in the interrogation manual so, depending on his age, I wouldn't rule him out.

Other possibilities include the "Charles J Francis" listed as involved in NAACP correspondance during the 1956-57 period, and a Charles (MNU) Francis who is a Washington lobbyist and long-time Bush family friend. In 2002, he lobbied with former Burmese CIA Station Chief, Barry Broman, on behalf the Burmese Junta. Originally from Dallas. Maybe Brendan Slattery, knows his full name and age, either of which could rule him out.

Greg,

And who Steve was?

I don't know about "Steve", but in reading through documents relating to Bernard Barker last week, I believe that he went to New York City for basic CIA type training; surveillance techniques, use of invisible ink type stuff.

This is from some HSCA staff notes on Barker:

July 20 - August 21 (1964) Barker in New York City receiving basic tradecraft training at the request of Desmond Fitzgerald.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=12

Steve Thomas

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : CIA

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10174-10055

RECORDS SERIES : JFK

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 80T01357A

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : CIA

TO : FINANCE DIVISION

TITLE : MEMO SUBJECT: FINANCIAL BRIEFING OF INDEPENDENT

CONTRACTORS

DATE : 11/09/1959

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER - TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : TICHBORN, EDWAR

CLASSIFICATION :

RESTRICTIONS : 1A

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 02/21/1998

COMMENTS : JFK64-10 : F3 : 1998.02.21.10:29:47:810109 :

Just guessing that this was standard for allocation of the funds - in which case, perhaps this is the guy. Maybe the 'c' is for 'covert?'

- lee

Thanks for posting that document, Steve.

The piece from 1972 is interesting. "David Morales talking about Barker says Barker will tell authorities everything he knows."

I would love to know the context of that.

Also, Greg, Rauland was the tube and research facility of Zenith Radio Corp., who amongst other things built and supplied the U.S Coast Guard with their transceivers.

James

James, I'm pretty sure the context of the remark is Watergate. As a former supervisor

for Barker, Morales was asks his thoughts on him and the risk of his opening up.

I think I have a memo on this quoting Morales as saying Barker could never keep his

mouth shut on anything and could not be expected not to expose anything he knew.

-- Larry

Thanks for posting that document, Steve.

The piece from 1972 is interesting. "David Morales talking about Barker says Barker will tell authorities everything he knows."

Also, Greg, Rauland was the tube and research facility of Zenith Radio Corp., who amongst other things built and supplied the U.S Coast Guard with their transceivers.

James

James and Larry,

The cover memo of the document I cited above:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=12

says this:

"Another CIA officer (David Morales) told Chris Hopkins in a 1972 telephone conversation that Barker was a "loudmoth" who (Morales) recommended terminating in 1962. (Morales) was concerned that as a result of Barker's Watergate involvement, he would "tell the authorities everything he knows."

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=2

Now that could be read a couple of different ways. Was Morales concerned that because Barker was in trouble, he (Barker) might be tempted to tell the authorities "everything he knows" about other things, or just about Watergate?

Steve Thomas