The Education Forum

Dodd-Eastland "Parking Space" for Oswald's mail order rifle?

Am reading Hartmann and Waldrons' book.

They point out that in January of 1963, Senator Thomas Dodd (as I understand him a far right winger on Cold War foreign policy with some connections to China?) had begun a Senate investigation on mail order guns. The

M-C rifle that Oswald used was even on a list of rifles ordered through the mail along with LHO's name!

The Authors also point out that Sen. Eastland was on the Committee, and that there was some overlap in staffing between the Dodd committee and another Committee headed by Eastland about the Fair Play For Cuba org.

The authors strongly suggest that these committess may have served as a right wing "parking space" for information connecting Oswald to the M-C rifle that could easily emerge after the assassination.

By staying in the files of these committees, the information would not have to be sent upwards into the intellignce bureaucracies, so that the conspirators would have direct, and local, access to information that could then give to the press quickly.

P.D. Scott had earlier suggested that Oswalds mail-order -- which was irrational because it created a paper trail, when Oswald could have very easily simply bought the rifle at a Dallas hardware strore with no paper trail, which would make a lot more sense for an assassin-- may be explainable in terms of his relationship with Guy Bannister's office. Scott speculates that Bannister may have been doing free lance work for a number of different intelligence agencies including the ATF, if I am not mistaken. He suggests that this free lance relationship with mulitple intelligence agencies could have gotten many different agency "fingerprints" on Oswald, thus generating their cooperation in the coverup.

Hartmann and Waldron also point out that Bannister and Gen Walker both attended a racist conference in Dallas in 1963, thus echoing the overlapping of racism and far right cold war policies that we see at the national level in the cooperation of the Dodd-Eastland Committees.

What do members think of their suggestions regarding Dodd-Eastland and the Mail Order records that were used to frame Oswald?

They point out that in January of 1963, Senator Thomas Dodd (as I understand him a far right winger on Cold War foreign policy with some connections to China?) had begun a Senate investigation on mail order guns. The

M-C rifle that Oswald used was even on a list of rifles ordered through the mail along with LHO's name!

******snip******

Didn't LHO order the rifle under his alias of "A. Hidell"? The implications are obvious if they had LHO's real name on that (pre-assassination) list.

JWK

******snip******

Didn't LHO order the rifle under his alias of "A. Hidell"? The implications are obvious if they had LHO's real name on that (pre-assassination) list.

JWK

YOU CAN'T USE HARTMANN AND WALDRON'S BOOK AS A SOURCE ON ANYTHING. IT'S USE OF UNNAMED SOURCES, THEIR BLATENT KENNEDY BASHING AGENDA, THEIR MAKING UP A NAME FOR A NON-EVENT AND THEIR FAILURE TO TAKE ALL THE AVAILABLE INFO INTO CONSIDERATION AND ONLY USING WHAT SUPPORTS THEIR THEORIES MAKE THE BOOK WORTHLESS AS A RESEARCH REFERENCE.

ON THE OTHER HAND, IF YOU CAN GET THE RELEVANT CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE RECORDS FOR BOTH THE RELEVANT COMMITTEE INVESTIGATIONS - FPCC AND MAIL ORDER FIREARMS - YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO WORK WITH.

THAT LHO OR HIDEL WOULD BE NAMED NEXT TO MC IN ANY CONGRESSIONAL DOC BEFORE THE ASSASSINTION WOULD BE SENSATIONAL AND I DON'T BELIEVE IT, OR ANYTHING H & W HAVE TO SAY BECAUSE I KNOW SOME OF WHAT THEY SWARE TO IS WRONG.

BK

Bill, believe me I am reading Waldron and Hartmann's book with buckets of salt.

I already suspected Hartmann as a left-gatekeeper based on his guest-hosting of the Air America radio shows.

The way they try to SELECTIVELY AND STRATEGICALLY decouple the CIA from the mafia is EXTREMELY UNCONCONVINCING,and their laborious attempts to do so scream 1-800- LIMITED- HANGOUT.

That said, I do find SOME MERITS to their book. Is has been usefull to me --as a novice reader about the assassination-- in sorting out the various anti-Castro operations from 1959- 1963. Until now i had great trouble separating the operations under Nixon in 1959, from Operation 40, Op Mongoose and the later ones. Now I feel better able to distinguish these operations.

Of course there remains the possiblity that they have planted FALSE distinctions, by paying "the finest American attention.... to the WRONG detail"