The Education Forum

Mystery Witnesses

In looking at the Bronson photo, I'm struck by the fact that there are two women only a few feet to the left of the Newmans on the north side of the street. As these women were on Kennedy's right side, and as they weren't operating a motorcycle, and as they didn't dive to the ground immediately after the headshot to protect their children, they are perhaps the BEST witnesses to the shooting. (I say perhaps because it's possible their view of the head shot (s) was obscured by DPD Officer Douglas Jackson. Anyhow, does anyone know who they are? Is the one in the dark dress Cheryl McKinnon? Marrs quoted an article by McKinnon in Crossfire. Can anybody post the entire article?

P.S. Note that Louie Witt's umbrella is far above his head. How could he have not seen Kennedy's response to the first shot?

http://jfkmurderphotos.bravehost.com/bronson5.jpgbronson5.jpg

Edited by Pat Speer

Of the two women, Don Roberdeau's map identifies the one nearest to UM as McKinnon, and I agree. The map indicates that she retreated onto the grass, where she was photographed after the shooting was over.

The map does not identify the other woman, and offhand I know of no source that identifies her.

In McKinnon's article (of which I have a hard copy, no way to post it), she simply says, "I stood, along with hundreds of others, on the grassy knoll" as the motorcade approached. "Suddenly, three shots in rapid succession rang out. Myself and dozens of others standing nearby turned in horror toward the back of the grassy knoll where it seemed the sounds had originated. Puffs of white smoke still hung in the air in small patches. But no one was visible."

She later says, "(T)he only thing I am absolutely sure of today is that at least two of the shots fired that day in Dealey Plaza came from behind where I stood on the knoll, not from the book depository. . . . (T)hat day in Dallas and those that followed left their mark and I have never quite had the same faith and trust in those who lead us as I did before."

Harry said that one of his secretaries was standing 30 feet from the headshot. Perhaps PO records could reveal who. Apparently employees were supposed to supply photographs. Ian Griggs could have some lead?

Of the two women, Don Roberdeau's map identifies the one nearest to UM as McKinnon, and I agree. The map indicates that she retreated onto the grass, where she was photographed after the shooting was over.

The map does not identify the other woman, and offhand I know of no source that identifies her.

In McKinnon's article (of which I have a hard copy, no way to post it), she simply says, "I stood, along with hundreds of others, on the grassy knoll" as the motorcade approached. "Suddenly, three shots in rapid succession rang out. Myself and dozens of others standing nearby turned in horror toward the back of the grassy knoll where it seemed the sounds had originated. Puffs of white smoke still hung in the air in small patches. But no one was visible."

She later says, "(T)he only thing I am absolutely sure of today is that at least two of the shots fired that day in Dealey Plaza came from behind where I stood on the knoll, not from the book depository. . . . (T)hat day in Dallas and those that followed left their mark and I have never quite had the same faith and trust in those who lead us as I did before."

I have never been fully convinced that one of the Bronson "twins" is McKinnon.

The two ladies in the Bronson slide appear to be identical twins WITH LIGHT

BLOND PAGE BOY HAIR STYLES AND DARK TOPCOATS. I do not think either

resembles McKinnon. McKinnon says she WAS STANDING ON THE KNOLL, not

at curb's edge. We cannot identify her in any other photos; neither can we

find any other trace of the other twin. To me, it is an unsolved mystery.

In the photo below, McKinnon is said to be the woman sitting on the grass,

but to me looks much older than McKinnon was at the time, since she

was only a college student. I believe the "twins" were there together, dressed

alike, looking alike. McKinnon did not mention being with anyone.

Jack

McKinnon's story.

Edited by Jack White

James,

Woodward, Donaldson, and Brown were further up the street, in the same area where hard hat Millican was standing. Woodward can be seen in the Altgens photo that shows Lovelady in the doorway.

There is no Lorenzo shown with them on Roberdeau's map, but there is an Alonzo.

Ron

James,

Woodward, Donaldson, and Brown were further up the street, in the same area where hard hat Millican was standing. Woodward can be seen in the Altgens photo that shows Lovelady in the doorway.

There is no Lorenzo shown with them on Roberdeau's map, but there is an Alonzo.

Ron

Thanks, Ron.

Muchly appreciated.

James

Thanks so much, Jack, for posting the image and the info.

James, I think Woodward confused a lot fo people by saying she stood near the Stemmons Freeway sign when she was really standing by the Thornton Freeway sign. I think the Chisms also said they were by the Stemmons sign but were not. I mean, where are they in the photo? Is that them considerably to Umbrella Man's left?

Edited by Pat Speer

James, I think Woodward confused a lot fo people by saying she stood near the Stemmons Freeway sign when she was really standing by the Thornton Freeway sign. I think the Chisms also said they were by the Stemmons sign but were not. I mean, where are they in the photo? Is that them considerably to Umbrella Man's left?

Pat,

I believe you are correct. Did any official investigative body ever interview Donaldson and Brown do you know?

James

Pat,

I believe you are correct. Did any official investigative body ever interview Donaldson and Brown do you know?

James

James, I have recently summarized all the eyewitness testimony I could find. Here's what I found on Woodward's friends.

Aurelia Alonzo, Margaret Brown, and Ann Donaldson. (12-7-63 FBI report, CD7 p.19) “Ann Donaldson…Margaret Brown…and Miss Aurelio Alonzo…were interviewed December 6, 1963…All furnished the same information as that previously furnished by Mary Elizabeth Woodward.”

Mark Lane testified that Woodward told him her friends shared her impressions. Later, she tried to impress her journalist friends by claiming that she'd never spoken to Lane except to tell him she wouldn't speak to him. (OOOOHHH IMPRESSIVE) She never disputed what he said she'd told him, however.

Pat,

James

James, I have recently summarized all the eyewitness testimony I could find. Here's what I found on Woodward's friends.

Aurelia Alonzo, Margaret Brown, and Ann Donaldson. (12-7-63 FBI report, CD7 p.19) “Ann Donaldson…Margaret Brown…and Miss Aurelio Alonzo…were interviewed December 6, 1963…All furnished the same information as that previously furnished by Mary Elizabeth Woodward.”

Mark Lane testified that Woodward told him her friends shared her impressions. Later, she tried to impress her journalist friends by claiming that she'd never spoken to Lane except to tell him she wouldn't speak to him. (OOOOHHH IMPRESSIVE) She never disputed what he said she'd told him, however.

Thanks, Pat.

James

The Chisms were near the Stemmons sign.

Jack

?

James, I think Woodward confused a lot fo people by saying she stood near the Stemmons Freeway sign when she was really standing by the Thornton Freeway sign. I think the Chisms also said they were by the Stemmons sign but were not. I mean, where are they in the photo? Is that them considerably to Umbrella Man's left

The Chisms were near the Stemmons sign.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. I figured that was the Chisms, seeing as that was the closest family. Still, there's something to be learned from this about the imprecision of human memory and language. Chism signed a statement later that afternoon indicating that he was "directly in front of the Stemmons sign," when he was a good 25-30 feet east of the sign. While some might think "directly in front of" means between the sign and the street, or between the sign and the motorcade, to Chism it meant 25-30 feet in front of the words of the sign, to the east of the sign. There are numerous other examples of this imprecision in the statements. The FBI reports are far worse. From reading the FBI reports one would never know the Franzens were to the west of Altgens, readily apparent in the Zapruder film.